Camcorder: Fix it or ditch it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camcorder: Fix it or ditch it?

Guys my camcorder seems to have s**t the bed. As typically happens with this stuff, it crapped at a horrible time - just as I started recording my youngest's 1st birthday party! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Whenever I put a tape in, the camcorder refuses to do anything and puts up a message demanding that I eject the tape. It's a Sharp VL-WD450. And, now that I think back about it, when I last changed a tape, it had been twisted inside the camcorder and outside of the mini-DV tape housing. It's only 4 years old, too!

Anyone have a similar problem? The nearest certified service center is 120 miles away! [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] What do you think - is this even worth attempting to fix, or would it be better off just trashing the POS and buying something new?

Re: Camcorder: Fix it or ditch it?

If it's 4 years old. It's an antique. A better new one would probably be less that any repair work done on it. The minimum charge just to get it checked out would scare me. You would probably have better luck sticking a tape up your ass and spreading your cheeks. I'm sorry, but my brain made me say that. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] And a little beer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I had a Sharp as well, but it takes some weird-ass batteries that cost $160 each. I said F' that and bought something else.

Comment

Ditch it... get a new one.
        My Sony is on it's last legs too... 8mm.
        Still deciding if I want to stay with Sony or try another brand.
        -Rick

Comment

Yeah, I would just get a new one. Theyre cheap enough these days. Plus you can probably sell the broken one on ebay for something. Someone may need the battery or some of the accesories or may have broken a part that is good on yours. Ive had 2 JVC s in the last 12 years. 1st was a vhsc and the second one is DV. Ive had good luck with them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Ditch it... get a new one.
            My Sony is on it's last legs too... 8mm.
            Still deciding if I want to stay with Sony or try another brand.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
            I just moved mine from one closet to annother this weekend.
            Same thing....nearly done.
            The technology has advanced 100x since.
            Why bother fixing it.
            Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
            Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

just for grins get a quote to fix it. it'll be in the trash as soon as you hang up the phone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i think the extended warranty is really good on things like this with moving parts. you bring it back, they confirm it's fubar, and then, of course, they won't have the model around since it's obsolete, so they'll give you a brand new replacement that's 5x as good as what you had.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

What brand of tape are you using? Have you run a cleaning tape through it lately?

As for replacement, I'll side with Carbuff about the JVC. My older model JVC SVHS camera takes great shots. See my old videos in the MP3 section.
                I compared the pro-level Panasonic AG-EZ1 (MiniDV) I bought around Christmas to the JVC and the video quality is very close. It's so close that I thought about selling the Panasonic and buying two or three more of the JVCs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have almost the same unit. Mine did the same thing. I had to trash it. It was too expensive to fix. Yours probably needs a new head.

Comment

Working...
                  X