Deer Season in FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Season in FL

One of the perks of having 160 acre farm/ranch in NW Florida is the abundant wildlife and great hunting. Its really nice to get up early and sneak out into the woods and enjoy the wonders of nature. Often I'll just put the gun down and just watch the deer and turkey, and if I only see a few I'll leave em alone to repopulate, having worked full time the last couple years and been too busy to hunt seriously, along with some other factors, the deer population on my place has really grown, I'll see anywhere from 5-12 almost every time I go out, Floridas season is almost 3 months long and there is no season bag limit, but I only shoot a couple each year and we do eat a lot of venison here, anyways heres two bucks I shot this season, nothing great, but not bad, a five point and a seven, anybody got any good recipes for deer?
    I say the boy ain't right!

Re: Deer Season in FL

whats the field dress weight? The picks looks about the size of my black lab [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I haven't hunted since I moved to Texas in 87. When I lived in Michigan I went very year for about 8 years. its too warm for me to get into hunting. a buddy of mine went out a couple weeks ago, it was 81 degrees, not huntin weather for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

its cool havin the land, wish I did. I've thought about buying a ranch with some land (30 arecers or so) but I work in downton Dallas and I dont want to drive any further to work. I'm 26 miles east of Dallas right now. There are places around but not much...I'd have to double my commute if I really want more of a selection
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Huntin Doug should chime in on this thread...this is his specialty!

I'm strictly a fisherman...so I can't help ya here...but nice bucks! Congrats!

Comment

That's a good way to approach it. Manage your heard for future seasons. I had a 5 acre wooded trac a couple years ago that was flanked on one side by a bean field. I only owned it for one year...kinda "flipped" the property. I never had a chance to take any deer there.

Before that I hunted a on a friends property that was a mile from my house. I could actually see my house from my treestand. It was a great spot to hunt...very fruitful for me. This is the first of 5 bucks I took there:

I stalked it for over 100 yards in early Oct.....It was a great bowhunt!

As far as recipies, I only have one that I use for venison. My wife & daughter wont eat deer, so what I dont give away, I cube for chili. I have never been a big chili fan, but this is different...it's more like a "chili stew". It's one of those rcipies that you change a little each time you make it. Here you go:

TEX-MEX Venison Chili-Stew

Yield: a standard size crock pot full to the top

3+ lbs of cubed venison (or beef) seasoned with a store bought chili seasoning mix.

2 to 3 cans of black beans in juice.
        1 can of red chili beans (optional)
        2 cans of cubed tomatoes in juice
        1 can of cubed tomatoes w/ hot peppers in juice
        1 large onion diced (not diced too small)
        1 package of sliced mushrooms
        1/2 cup barley
        diced chili peppers to taste
        Cajun hot sauce to taste

What makes this recipe different is the black beans. My approach is "the hotter, the better", so I like to use a lot of hot sauce in mine.

Cook on high until boiling, then back off the heat to low. Let it stew for a few hours. Serve with shreadded cheddar, crackers & pepto bizmal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
        >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Hey Doug thats a nice one. the bucks down here in general don't get much over 170 lbs with 150 being a "good" one, I have seen a very big one this year looks to be 10 points or better and hes damn near black, I may still try to get him. right now is the rut and its probably a good thing to keep him in the gene pool for awhile, the one on the right maybe 150 lbs (whole) the left was probably just over 100, I base this on how much work it is to get em in the back of the truck. I'll try that chili, we had tenderloin phad thai last night and backstrap tacos the other day, I'm tanning the hides myself and right now I have 4 good ones, I'll come up something to make out of em.

Comment

I fix deer (venison) two different ways. Both require the soaking of the meat to remove the "wild" taste and also help in tenderization.

First:

Place tenderloin/steaks in a container of water, salt and white vinegar. Let it soak a minimum of 6 hours. Trust me this works wonders.

Rinse meat off.

Method 1:
            Bread meat in a combination of flour, salt, pepper and fry in a skillet of oil. Put Parmesan (sp?) cheese on top before removing.

Method 2:

Fry meat in pan season with Worchester sauce to taste. Remove meat and place in bowl (temporary). Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, butter and more worchester sauce. Fry ingredients till the shrooms become "pliable" and toss meat back in and mix with veggies!!

YUM!! I haven't been hunting since '97 season (too much school/work) and I really miss the meat!

Comment

In Ohio, we can only harvest 1 buck per season. I could get up to 3 deer max with an option for 3 extra deer from a special "Urban tag". It's a doe only tag designed to cull the heards that are close to certain populated areas. It's an attempt to curtail car/deer collisions. Shotgun season lasts 1 week. It starts the monday after Thanksgiving. Then black powder season is 3 days long. It starts right after Christmas. I primarily bow hunt. With a short gun season, we have too many idiots that only hunt 1 day a year, and think they have to empty their gun on anything that moves.

This has been a strange season for me. This year I decided to pass up the does, and wait for "Big Mo". I've seen some decent bucks, but nothing huge. I killed a doe the first day of blackpowder season, but didnt find her til the following day [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It was 50 degrees out, so the meat was spoiled....I was bummed.

The highlight of my season has definately been the "Ohio Special Youth Gun Hunt 2005". I took my buddies 14 year old out. An adult could take a child from 12 to 17 years old gun hunting. The adult cannot hunt, only watch. Alex killed his first deer, and I was right there to coach him. He got a button buck first thing in the morning....man was he excited.
              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Our bow season is basically all of Oct. I love bow hunting but I feel pretty bad about not finding downed animals, been there too, I have a hound/dobie mix who can flat track a wounded deer, or any thing or one else. I got a doe during bow season, as well as a wild hog, Turkey season is my favorite time of year tho, I just love calling em in. Congrats to the kid that is something he'll remember for life and appreciate you for taking him hunting

Comment

This one doesnt look it, but it is actually bigger than the one above the mantle:

I took this one with a shotgun back in 1997. He was a good size deer.
                  >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Working...
                  X