My latest ebay gear realted story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest ebay gear realted story

I eluded to this in an earlier thread about a possible ebay score. Here's the deal. Hamer guitars makes a small number of Artist Ultimates. http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=377&sid=177

The pickups that are made for this guitar are hand wound by Seymour Duncan himself and are only available with this guitar, dubbed Duncan Ultimates. The serial numbers are matched to the guitar. Although, you can get a set of these pickups through Hamer without the serial number, dubbed Slightly Less Ultimates or SLU's.

Anyway, I was wanting to try out a set of these pickups in my Hamer Artist Korina. I found a set of the pickups on ebay and contacted the seller. The story is, the second he got home, he yanked them out of the guitar and dropped in a set of 25th Anniversary EMG 81s (in a semi hollowbody [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]). Anyway, they were first sold through Hamer for about $400 a pair. And I could probably get them from Duncan for closer to $350 for the pair as custom shop pickups. I got them for $200 which is about the same as a pair of Seth Lovers and slightly less than a pair of Antiquities.

They are PAF type pickups, wound around 7-8k. They are extremely clear and articulate, yet warm enough to suit my taste. The bridge pickup is punchy with harmonics galore. I can get pinch harmonics out of this thing just as easily as with my Distortions. The neck pickup is warm, but not muddy. The cleans are extremely bell-like and crystal clear. I've only played through them for a couple of hours but they might actually be my new favorite pickups (maybe even more than my Distortions [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Through the right amp, they can do pretty much anything. I am extremely happy with my purchase. So thanks to everyone who made it through this long boring-ass thread. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: My latest ebay gear realted story

That's hilarious if the name of those cheaper pickups really are Slightly Less Ultimates.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Working...
    X