Crooked Club owner alert!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crooked Club owner alert!!!

We played at The Corner Pocket in Orange, CT on Saturday.
    Our agreement with the club owner was $250.00 + the door.
    We brought 72 people and it was $5.00 to get in. At the end of the night he paid us $360.00 and told us he never agreed to that arrangement even though we confirmed with him in person and on the phone. The total owed to us should have been $610.00. He shafted us for $250.00.
    He claimed the arrangement was a gauranteed $250.00 (50 people) and any more people we would get $5.00 per person which to him meant $250.00 + 22 people @ 5.00 each totals $360.00. That was not our very specific arrangement.
    We supplied the entire PA system and we did 3 full sets.
    For all you local JCF'rs... STAY AWAY from The Corner Pocket. The owner is a crook (and a prick too).
    This is the kind of crap that makes me not want to gig. Its not about the money.. but a deal is a deal.

Re: Crooked Club owner alert!!!

Next time... get the deal in writing.
    Write up a standard contract and make sure everyone signs it.
    Prevents confusion later and they will hold up in a small claims court.
    Just be specific about the terms and leave nothing open to interpretation.
    -Rick

Comment

I feel for you John, but by this stage in the game you should know to get these things in writing. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Tell you what... If I ever find myself in Orange, CT I will make sure not to go to the Corner Pocket. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It must be more fun tyo bitch about it then cover your ass.

Comment

I wish I was gigging period.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Good luck getting a club owner to sign anything.

Comment

I've never had a problem.
              If a club owner won't sign it, I won't do business with them.
              After all... business is business.
              -Rick

Comment

You are right to complain and it sux that he went back against his word. Sounds like he might be kinda new to being a bar owner. You sure don't want to piss bands off and especially by shafting them on promised money. Honestly, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are charging $250 plus the door and only brought in 72 people, that would probably be the last time you had that deal at that club. 72 People for a whole night in a bar is not much cash flow for the bar and how many of those did you bring in vs. who would have been there anyways. Normally a Bar Owner will agree to that kinda deal only if you bring in a certain amount of people. Was that an off night for you ? I know I have sure had my share of playing to the cooking staff and bartenders.

Matt

Comment

Actually Matt, 72 people filled the place. I think 100 is the max for the room. It's not a club, it's a bar/pool hall. To add to that, we brought in every one of those 72 people. That place would have been empty if we didn't play that night. I was the one who dealt directly with this guy. He wouldn't have signed anything anyway which is fine by me because we will never play there again.

This fiasco was my fault. I should have gotten it in writing. If he wouldn't sign we wouldn't have played there. Thats our policy going forward. I know more than a few local bands in the area and a lot of them do the same thing. That being said, there is no excuse for this scumbag lying to my face. He knew what he was doing and there was nothing I could do about it. I never liked the guy to begin with. Unfortunately thats what you get with most club/bar owners. Live and Learn. Never trust a soul. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

The place is a dive anyway.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Actually Matt, 72 people filled the place. I think 100 is the max for the room. It's not a club, it's a bar/pool hall. To add to that, we brought in every one of those 72 people. That place would have been empty if we didn't play that night. I was the one who dealt directly with this guy. He wouldn't have signed anything anyway which is fine by me because we will never play there again.

This fiasco was my fault. I should have gotten it in writing. If he wouldn't sign we wouldn't have played there. Thats our policy going forward. I know more than a few local bands in the area and a lot of them do the same thing. That being said, there is no excuse for this scumbag lying to my face. He knew what he was doing and there was nothing I could do about it. I never liked the guy to begin with. Unfortunately thats what you get with most club/bar owners. Live and Learn. Never trust a soul. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

The place is a dive anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, he probably had full intentions of not paying you what he promised from the begining seeing how the place will only hold 100 people total. Well, hopefully ya had a good show.

Matt

Comment

Hey man, what's the name of your band?
                      If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

> I've been in that particular pool room for a Joss Tour event a couple of times,and even won there once. I can't understand why the owner would do that to his regular customers though,nothing against your band. Live bands in a small bar or a pool room like that are usually VERY loud,and most people that go to nice pool rooms like that are there for pool and little else. Serious players,like developing pros or those matching up and gambling would see it as distracting at best. It sucks you got shafted like that,I won that tournament up there a couple years ago and some guy followed me around for an hour trying to collect a 16 dollar food/drink tab,after I had already been told that it was taken care of by the waitress I tipped 70-80 bucks over the weekend and 100 after I won. I'll help you spread the word and do my part by never taking my crew up there again. Tommy D.
                        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          it was taken care of by the waitress I tipped 70-80 bucks over the weekend and 100 after I won

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to pick her up ?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

"Hey man, what's the name of your band? "

CHASE.

Thanks Tommy. I appreciate it. This guy has only been the owner for a year or so. I don't think he has much knowlege of booking bands. It is a pool hall, but it's become more of a bar that has a lot of unused tables and bands on the weekends. I'm not eve sure if they have tourney's there any more. There are very few local bands that play there any more. He'll fizzle out eventually.
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X