DLR Created EVH's Guitar Graphic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLR Created EVH's Guitar Graphic

Yesterday on my drive to work The DLR show was on. A caller had asked if he had written all the lyrics to the VH songs.

He answered yes and also stated that he created all the album covers, logos, videos, stage sets and EVH's original striped guitar idea. The paint came from his (Roth)basement. He said that he got the idea from seeing the bass player of The Clash playing a striped graphic bass that looked homemade. He said he told Eddie that he should tape up a guitar and then paint it all different stripe colors and patterns more or less. EVH's guitar tech at the time had actually done it and that Eddie had not even assembled it and that the tech had done the design and all of the work. They (Tech and Roth) supposedly named it ubab(pronounced ew bab). Wonder how much of this is true. I had heard that his tech had assembled and painted it before but I never heard of DLR actually coming up with the idea and taking sole credit for it....

What do you think?

Re: DLR Created EVH\'s Guitar Graphic

I think that Diamond Dave was a much bigger part of VH then the lead singer. I can totally picture him coming up and intrumenting all the ideas he mentioned. That is probably why there is so much animosity between the DLR and EVH.

Comment

I would tend to believe that. In fact, It seems to me that without Dave being the salesman he is, we might not even have a Van Halen today.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I remember hearing an interview with Dave around the time 1984 came out. He said Eddie would play him song ideas and he would start seeing in his head the video, what the band would be wearing, lights durimg the show, lyrics and even his babble when they played it live.

If those ideas didn't come to him he would tell eddie to try again.

I think Dave had a huge influnce on getting VH to where they were.

Comment

When you hear Dave talking you know he has too much of an imagination to not have come up with a ton of ideas.

I remember reading an early interview with Ed where he says that Dave and the guys were urging him to get rid of his single coil strat because they hated the tone...So, maybe Ed wasn’t even responsible for the "Brown sound" actually Alex came up with that name for sure. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh well...Ed sure did play a mean guitar though.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Yesterday on my drive to work The DLR show was on. A caller had asked if he had written all the lyrics to the VH songs.

He answered yes and also stated that he created all the album covers, logos, videos, stage sets and EVH's original striped guitar idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely see the stage sets portion. I remember comparing the sets from that live Unchained video to the Yankee Rose video, and seeing the speaker cabs are the same silver-painted ones with the grill cloth removed.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

And Al Gore created the internet.

-Mark

Comment

i can understand the his video creativity. ed always said he wanted to be more of a movie star than a rocker.

Comment

I know that the cover of Fair Warning was a painting by Valerie, Ed's wife at the time. I think that DLR claimed he designed every cover except one, not all of them. Just my $.02 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The Fair Warning cover art came from a painting by William Kurelek (1927-1972)Not Valerie..........
                    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

I think DLR was VH when it comes to anything that had to do with marketing. Has anyone else listened to his radio show? I have listened to it for a few minutes and I am really not that entertained by it.

Comment

Dave was the driving force behind Van Halen. Ed was the musical force, Roth sold and promoted the band. Van Halen would not have made it without Roth, period.

I believe him, he was and is a very intelligent and creative person.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Dave wanted to keep Ed in the spotlight as a guitar heroe..but Ed wanted to write happy, radio friendly songs on his gay ass casio instead...DLR was like ..nobody gives a fuck about your keybords..play your damn guitar..

that was the beginning of the end..basically.

The brown sound..yeah Alex coined that...from Ed using his dad's Variac...like a "Brown Out"..he dropeed the voltage to about 90 volts and the tubes barely glowed...boom the "brown" sound was born!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X