Anybody's kids have ADD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody's kids have ADD?

Man... I am totally at a loss so I'm just throwin' this out there in case someone has some ideas.
    My daughter is 8yrs. old and in the third grade. She has been an awesome student in school until this year.
    She has never had a problem focusing or completing anything, she has never mis-behaved, she's always had an attitude though. Gee... wonder where she gets that? [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Now, some of this I know comes from our lifestyle. Her Dad is not home very often and we have an extremely stressful life, not angry/yelling/not getting along unhealthy... just a lot of demands from the military.
    Anyway...

She is going to fail the third grade, I just know it.
    She can't concentrate on anything for more than a nanosecond. She stares off into space, she can't complete anything. She constantly worries about every little thing. Everything!
    She can never get to her point when talking... yadda yadda.
    I don't get it at all. How can she go from a straight A student who's completely on the ball, to a failing student who acts like she's losing her mind? It's not that she doesn't understand her schoolwork, just the opposite. She's bored out of her gourd. She simply won't do her classwork.
    Keith's youngest sister was like this, but he's so much older than she is and wasn't living at home so he doesn't know how his parents helped her.
    Calling them up to ask them is not an option.

I am TOTALLY freaked out about the thought of medicating her with that Ritalin type bullshit. Okay, maybe its not entirely bullshit, a girfriend of mine put her daughter on it and it has been awesome for her.
    I've tried my own therapies according to my holistic profession, they are helpful but they are hard to take for a child.

Anyway, cutting to the chase... I just want her to be able to succeed in school and be able to actually function.
    She simply does not give a damn despite the fact that she has an awesome teacher.
    Keith and I are extremely laid back parents, not the hovering-pushy-exalted-expectation-types.
    We are both losing our minds having to constantly harp on her to get moving along. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    Half of me thinks that once we are out of this situation and her Dad is out of the USAF and we can settle down, things will be better for her. She's in the third grade and she's already been to three elementary schools in two different states.
    She's a very emotional child. Both of my children crawl into their caves when their Dad is gone, it breaks my heart. They don't know any different either.

Thanks for letting me rant. I've reigned it in considerably, but this little bit helps.

Re: Anybody\'s kids have ADD?

my wife is an elementary school teacher. i showed her your post and she said she often recommends to parents that they try an "athletic" activity like cheerleading or karate or something like that because it teachs discipline and allows the child to work off stress. sometimes ritalin or medication is what is needed, but her 12 years of experience has shown her that sometimes in a situation like this something athletic will help because the activity will stimulate brain chemicals and help.

that's what she thinks. hope it doesn't sound silly to you.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Em..._-_-_ has ADD. He was having trouble concentrating and completing tasks. School work suffered and he was frustrated at home as well. We got several different opinions and had testing done. They found the right medication to help him with out zoning him out. He is doing great and is really creative due to the fact he can follow through on his ideas. There are several different medications and other forms of treatment. The main thing is testing and constant monitoring, coupled with a parents intuition. There may be something that's real easy to correct. The main thing is that this is your child, and your childs future. You are concerned and want the best for your child. That is the most important thing.

+1 on MDs suggestion also. Exercise and good nutrition are the best way to help the brain do its best.
      The Buzzard does not fear
      The man in riot gear
      Harvest a skull of stone
      The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Thank you for your replies, guys. And no, I don't think the exercise/athletic idea is silly at all. We are a very athletic family and she has plenty of stimulation that way.
        She also does yoga, pilates, meditation and swimming with me. She plays soccer with her Dad on the weekends when he's home. She's a very active kid. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        As far as joining a team with her peers, forget it. She will NOT go. Not at all, she hates it.
        She is so competitive that she wigs out if she doesn't win. She goes nuts. But with us she's okay. That's why I think there's some funky family separation trauma there. I wouldn't be surprised.
        And nutritionally... she is very healthy.
        Yes, I know all about that. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flame, yes, I agree that testing and looking into all the options is a great idea. We are all for that. Problem is... the military health care system. It's a long story. Just to get her in for an evaluation we have to be put on a four-six month waiting list. The facilities don't exist out here for that, we'd have to be referred to San Antonio.
        By the time we can even begin any med trials with her Keith will probably be out of the military. But, for her it is worth it even if we have to start all over again in just a few months.
        I can't even tell you guys what a nightmare this is.
        Not just the ADD symptoms, but trying to deal with anything of this nature with the military.

Comment

Em, have you taken her to an alergist? Our son has a lot of foods that are on his no-no list. Nothing that will make him terribly ill or anything but when he avoids those foods life is a lot better for everyone.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

An allergist? No! That never ocurred to me!
            I will look into that! Thanks, Tim! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            These are all awesome, people. Thanks so much.
            I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm not losing my mind.
            I can't imagine what my girl must be feeling inside her head.
            I know she's frustrated.

Comment

Sad when that is how the families of our guys are treated when in need... That's how we thenk them for risking their everything.

Anyways, I'm starting to wonder about my 15 year old son being a bit ADD. Sad to say, I think I am too actually!

I always felt that I was never challenged much in school myself and was quite bored with it all. Although I could get A's I didn't care to and turned into a lazy type that did just enough to make everyone happy. Except I quit even doing that in high school. I see my son being somewhat like that as well. His saving grace is that I get all over him and won't let it go, he has to perform. At least for now he does.

Kids....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm not losing my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got bad news for you. You are losing your mind [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim has a good idea also. But just a warning..no matter what path you take, don't get pigeon holed into the persons specialty. A lot of times you will find doctors and others who will find a way to fit your childs symptoms into their field. Lots of things are possible, just keep an open mind and use that parental "spidey sense" we all have.
                  The man in riot gear
                  Harvest a skull of stone

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Em, have you taken her to an alergist? Our son has a lot of foods that are on his no-no list. Nothing that will make him terribly ill or anything but when he avoids those foods life is a lot better for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Some foods can really set kids off. I have seen this first hand when I worked in an allergist's office and watched kids getting tested.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Em...you can imagine. Does MOTD ring a bell? If it is ADD, that came from a like mind that didn't have someone like you to step in and help in the important early years.
                      The man in riot gear
                      Harvest a skull of stone

Comment

Warning noted. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                        I am highly suspicious of Doctors, no worries. I am their worst nightmare because I can talk to them in their own language. Bastards. But I am willing to concede if a Doctor or few can help my girl.
                        Yes, I have already lost my mind. I know that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

My youngest has hyper and has AD. He had a harder time in school. He is on medication and is a straight A student, he's 10. We were worried about the medication and didn't want him all doped up. The doctor started him of super low dosages and then bumped him up a hair.

Sometimes medications are needed and sometimes they are not. My son eats healhy and plays sports and that just wasn't enough. All I can say is it working for my son.

I consider myself a laid back parent but the thing I don't tolerate is not putting in the effort in school and homework. They are free to do whatever they want as long as they treat people with respect, are kind to others and do well in school. I'm blessed with two boys who understand the concept [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn that is exactly what we believe too! Our kids are awesome kids and we've never had any issue with them other than regular age-related "stages". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            But the failing schoolwork is totally unacceptable to us, she is a bright kid. To go from a dedicated student to completely nonchalant and spacey in one summer is a red flag to me. I suspect she has some sort of an imbalance and we are ready to explore options.
                            I appreciate you sharing your story about your son, that gives us hope. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            Keith is making an appt. for our daughter to see her Pediatrician tomorrow and we will go from there. Hopefully we will be able to get her in before December, keep your fingers crossed.
                            I'm not kidding. You have to pretty much plan to need healthcare when you're a military dependent. There is no easy way about this.

Comment

My 6 year old is on Strattera, and it does wonders for him. It's not like ritalin at all. He is ADHD and has a mild case of Asperger syndrome. He's just a normal kid, but tends to become entranced, or overly focused on certain things at times. At other times, he is so hyper that he is bouncing off the walls, and talking a mile a minute. The medication brings him down to a very normal level. I'm not sure if it's useful for ADD as well, but it's certainly worth asking about.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X