To our troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To our troops

You guys have mishaps as well it seems....

PER: The Guardian

Two members of a British tank crew were killed and two critically injured after their Challenger 2 tank was fired on by another Challenger tank in southern Iraq. A single tank round took the turret off the tank in the misdirected attack, which happened on Monday in pitch darkness.
    The two dead men were members of the Queen's Royal Lancers, part of the First Royal Regiment of Fusiliers battle group. They were named as Corporal Stephen Allbutt, 35, from Stoke-on-Trent, and Trooper David Clarke, 19, from Littleworth, Staffordshire.

"The soldiers were tragically killed in a 'friendly fire' incident during a period of multiple engagements from enemy forces on the outskirts of Basra," Colonel Chris Vernon, a British military spokesman, said.

"Regardless of the careful planning and measures taken in the type of operations in which we are engaged and in the heat of battle there is always a risk that incidents such as this might happen."

The army would not say whether the tank which fired the shot was from the same regiment.

Col Vernon said an investigation was under way into the accident, the first in recent years in which British forces have been killed in error. It will centre on why the tank's sophisticated new identification technology failed to prevent the attack

Comment

<font color="yellow">Ya know...most of these people who are talkin shit about "friendly fire" have never left the comfort of their living rooms or let alone served in ANY branch of ANY countries military.

Or, if they in fact DID do anything involving combat...it was rear echelon where there was little to no risk of enemy contact.

Easy to poke somebody in the eye isn't it.

For all the other dudes and dudettes of the forum..you guys rock!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Is it really that difficult to respect the intentions of a good hearted thread? Would it be so difficult to just say "Thank you to the British troops as well" rather than make insinuating remarks?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          dudes chill out - not everyone has to be happy with America for fucks sake - its not a crime and a'vieled insult' - aren't we allowed to be concerned about the fact that a great proportion of our troops have been shot by you??!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now does this have ANYTHING to do with the topic that was started? No. So anyone who feels they would like to argue people wanting to say thank you to their nation’s troops, take this as a warning.

Comment

Thank you for stepping in Jeremy, my blood was boiling the fuck over.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

you guys should have seen me dodge plates and glasses when the wife was mad.i'm like a panther. talk about friendly fire.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                During combat being shot at by the enemy is part of the game. Being shot at by friendly forces is one of the worst feelings in the world. I understand where they are coming from and we do need better ways of identifying friendlies. The U.S. Amry and British troops are testing out new methods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this will be soon. I saw something on this. They have equipment worn by infantry troops that IDs them as friend or foe; kinda like the system on our aircraft. Sam may be able to confirm this.

As far as everyone's thanks & well wishes for us , (well, almost everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ) it's times like these that we understand what our jobs are all about. It doesn't matter to me that I'm not sittin' in the cockpit jammin' my finger down on the pickle button; the supporting role that I play gives me just as much pride - one of the reasons I volunteered for my upcoming 1-year assignment. I think I can speak for Sam and every other person who wears the uniform with pride when I say we consider it an honor to serve and protect and we'd gladly give our live's in a heartbeat to ensure your continued freedom. It's what we took an oath to do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Thank You!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Great thread Tim!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Here's my "Fuckin' A"!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I appreciate the sacrifice all of the countries involved in fighting terrorism. America can't win it alone. There no higher honor than to be counted as one of the uniformed military personnel keeping us as safe as they can.

As far as friendly fire... It happens. The weapons are now much more deadly and kill from a greater distance. The relationship is a direct one. It is a mistake that one lives with for the rest of their life. Some are devastated by it and never recover from the emotional distress.

The American military is the finest organized army assembled in modern times. Far too many have died away from home in places that can't find on a map to protect and preserve the freedoms of people they will never meet.

There is no one in the American or coalition forces that finds anything to joke about with friendly fire. Nor do any of the coalition forces destroy w/o regard to targets. Making a statement that implies anyone isn't using their eyes is cowardly. We have a common enemy. It has shown its intentions and to battle it will require staggering sacrifice. These people deserve our eternal thanks and undying respect and love.

To our British friend - you sir are entitled to your opinion - but it may make you a scoundrel

Comment

I remember when I started a thread like this and it turned into a crap fest!!! It's easy to set back and say this that etc.. If you have been there then speak up if not then keep your negative comments to yourselfs. I have friends who have served-some of them have returned and some have not. After a few beers the talks turned to combat-hell after hearing their stories I could not begin to imagine what being in the middle of a fire fight is like-shit coming in everywhere-remember this is not paintball-if you get hit-it only takes one time and thats it-If I remember this thread was a very simple and sincere thank you to the troops-not U.S. Troops or Britian's Troops-just to the troops-so if you don't have anything positive to say-its simple don't say nothing at all-Enough of my soapbox-Thanks for your service and sacrifices you have made for your country-You are all Hero's [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X