Mac techheads I need your help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac techheads I need your help

Got the G4 up and going [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Now I have to find equivalent apps to my usual stuff. Anyway how do I install a .dmg file? I did a quick search and it seems like you can only mount them. That does not seem right at all.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: Mac techheads I need your help

a .dmg file is basicaly a mac cd-rom image... like an .iso.
    You mount it, then run the installer or copy the files off of the mounted image. Pretty easy really.
    -Rick

Comment

Damn that was easy. I feel stupid now, LOL

Comment

That's how I felt the first time I came across a .dmg.
        I was like... "WTF is this thing? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Then I clicked it and went ohhh... ahhhh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

Ok next question. I got OS 10.3 installed but I did something wrong. It will only boot off the disk if I hold the option key and select the disk. How do I get it to boot normally?

Comment

click the litte blue apple in your upper right hand corner, then select sytem preferences, then select "startup disk." select the folder icon that should say something like " Mac OSX on Macintosh HD." that should take care of it for you.

that said, be sure to pickup OSX Tiger. it's awesome. really.

welcome to the cool kids club!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Actually I found that startup disk thingy the other day. I did just like you said and they the lock option on too. It's still giving me a headache. Is Tiger really that much different from Jaguar?

Comment

yes. it is.

it's a help if you know someone that has a mac; when you're used to windows, having someone walk you through the way things work on a mac is helpful. once you get the hang of it (which should be pretty quickly), you'll be all good.

check apple.com and check out tiger. the whole dashboard and widgets idea is awesome.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You will also get a noticable peformance boost if you upgrade to 10.4 (Tiger).
                  I got brave and installed it on my ancient 500 MHz G3 iBook and it actualy runs pretty smooth.
                  -Rick

Comment

and i'm not sure what you'll need as far as programs, but the only program that i've had difficulty finding an equivalent to is sound forge. i use that to edit music programs for my g/f's ice skating students. i've tried a few, and i still like sound forge better. so i'll use the pc for that. everything else has been a breeeeeeze.

welcome to the world of "no more product keys!"

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

someone close by would be awesome. my wife tries to help (coming from the maccentric land of japan, lol) but she's not familiar with OSX. that's another thing i was going to ask. seems like a lot of software is on your honor type stuff?
                      my big thing is trying to find something as good as trillian pro, forte agent(newsreader), and something like cool edit.
                      i've got a G3 as well but i couldn't get OSX installed properly on it. i get a nasty corrupted b&w display. seems to be lack of a driver or corrupted driver. possibly stemming from the G3 having a slightly different ATI rage, the one with the video capture option built in. i've read that it's supported in 10.1 and maybe 10.2 but i haven't been able to track either of those down.

Comment

adium = trillian. it's a really good IM client. i've used it for about a year now. oh, and don't let the goofy cartoon birds throw ya, you can customize all of that stuff.

garageband is a really good recording program, and if you get iLife '05 (you should), it comes with it, along with iPhoto, and a few other things. it's well worth the $50.

as far as programs being on the honor system, you're kinda right. of course many of these programs can and should be purchased, but it's not quite as uptight as windows is.

if you need a p2p sharing program, get
                        acquisition; it works pretty well. i don't use it much, but file it away somewhere.

keep the questions comin; i have a friend who's all about macs, and pete (twisteramps) is a certified mac tech.

sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The really good software does have product key protection.
                          Things like Mac Office, Pro Tools, Adobe Photoshop, Macormedia Studio MX and many more, require product keys or online activation. The good old days of no registrations are quickly fading. With popularity increasing, so are the efforts to stop piracy.
                          Anyway... for quicky recordings and stuff, Garageband is perfect.
                          As for your older G3, OS X will not install (properly anyway) on most early G3 systems. Those old color iMacs are the worst. I've seen it done, but it's not worth the effort from a performance perspective. Most beige G3 models will not boot OS X at all.
                          They lack the OpenFirmware bios support.
                          -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The really good software does have product key protection.
                            Things like Mac Office, Pro Tools, Adobe Photoshop, Macormedia Studio MX and many more, require product keys or online activation.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, i did need keys for those. i don't have pro tools, but i do have the others.
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You have a Mac and don't have ProTools? What else is a Mac good for? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

(I have and use both Macs and PCs so I'm not bashin')

Comment

Working...
                              X