Copywriting Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copywriting Music

Anyone know anything about how to copywright a song and trademark a band name?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Copywriting Music

There are some web sites that can trademark your band name, but if you read the fine print, a lot of them will say it only applies to a certain region. But basicly whoever makes it famous with the name first, wins.

As far as any song goes, a good idea is to mail a copy of the music to yourself. (Don't open it) A postmark will hold
    up in court.

Matt

Comment

OSG's response is the age-old standard, but If you want a real legal leg to stand on, register your music with Ascap.

Comment

Mail a cd of the music to yourself and keep it closed.

Comment

We would always send a recorded version of the song along with lyrics USPS registered mail to ourselves and not open the letter.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            OSG's response is the age-old standard, but If you want a real legal leg to stand on, register your music with Ascap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you call me old ?? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

Many Thanks Guys!
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Well, the suggestions here are all worth doing, but ultimately you need to submit your music/lyrics to the U.S. Copyright Office. ASCAP's purpose is to secure compensation for bands whose music is played on the radio, TV and film. They are a publishing rights organization. As far as mailing yourself a CD and never opening it, that's not a bad first step, but if you were involved in a serious copyright infringement suit, you'd be glad to have spent the additional money on a proper copyright registration.

Go to www.clickandcopyright.com and check it out. If your submission meets certain criteria, you can register an entire CD (SR - Sound Recording) for the price of a single recording. They're legit too, and I have my certificate from the U.S. Copyright Office to show for it.

What band are you in Shredmonster? The above site is based in St. Paul, and I'm also curious since my band is from Minneapolis.
                sigpic

Comment

I live in Minneapolis actually.

Its not for me though. My niece's boyfriend has a band based out of Buffalo NY and I know they can make it.

I told him he needed to register both his songs and band name because I know how people can be out there.

What is your band - I would like to check you guys out some time.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I thought the "mailing to yourself and leaving it unopened" thing only worked in Britain or Europe, not North America. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

copyright.gov

Fill out and mail in form SR, with your check and the music.

Keith
                      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I thought the "mailing to yourself and leaving it unopened" thing only worked in Britain or Europe, not North America. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Using registered mail, it is evidence that the work existed as of the date postmarked. But a prerequisite to suit (or defense of a suit) on copyright is registration with the US Copyright office. So I always tell people that they might as well spend the $30 and do it right to begin with.

Keith
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Shredmonster: I play guitar in Under Eden (link below) and we will be adding some September and October dates to the site very soon.

The copyright site I mentioned costs more than just the standard SR submission, but they also contact you if there is a problem with the form and correct it...or so I'm told. Mine was right the first time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          sigpic

Comment

Inazone: I am going to try to make it out some night to check you guys out.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Be aware that copyrights on sound recordings are generally only for that particular arrangement of tracks - someone else can rearrange the track order and copyright them under their name.

I believe you have to copyright the Performance as well, which is the actual playing/physical contribution on each track (i.e. the guitar solo, the vocal performance, lyrics, bass, drum, and other lines).

We filled out all those forms when I had a band - there were like 3 or 4 forms, and we did one copy for each band member.

You might also want to pass along the word to NEVER shake someone's hand and agree to ANYTHING unless they know the contract law regarding "Handshake Agreements" in a given state.
                              TN recognizes these as legitimate contracts, so if you walk up to a guy and shake his hand and say "Sell me your house for $500" and he says "Ok" while you're still shaking hands, then that's a contract.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X