Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using parcel companys to collect guitars....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using parcel companys to collect guitars....

..I'm thinking about buying a guitar through eBay, but was wondering - has anyone here arranged to have FedEx, UPS etc to collect a guitar and deliver it to them? i.e. buyer arranges shipping.

I'm thinking it could make things easier for both of us and give the seller $150 or so less of my cash and me some extra peace of mind at the same time!

Also, what weight do you put down for a std Jackson guitar, inc case and packaging?

Thanks in advance
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Using parcel companys to collect guitars....

Ooh! First poster!! Woot!

I've shipped/received guitars and basses using UPS and they were okay. However, they destroyed a box of CDs (our albums) and a computer I sent my son recently. I won't ship with them again after all that. Our bassist worked for them and said the guys used to just throw boxes all over the place and didn't give a damn even if they said Fragile on them. But a guitar in a case is a bit different I guess.

It costs about $30-35 bux to send an axe through them. I'm not sure about FedEx or USPS though. I'm not sure on the weight, maybe 30 pounds? How about weighing one of your current guitars in a case on your scale at home? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

They charge you the 30 lb. rate for it being an oversized package, even if it weighs less.
      A guitar in a hardshell case will weigh about 20 lbs though. A Rhoads or King V will be charged at the 70 lb. oversize rate because the case is so big. A typical guitar shipping box is about 20"x48"x8" deep. Rates within the UK or from the US to UK are probably a lot different than internally within the US though. Go to www.ups.com or www.fedex.com or www.usps.com for details. Domestically Fedex Ground is cheapest, but they also won't insure a guitar that's over 20 years opld for more than $500. UPS, on the other hand, owns its insurance cmpany and claims are hard to get paid. They always kick back damage claims as
      denied due to insufficient packing.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        UPS, on the other hand, owns its insurance cmpany and claims are hard to get paid. They always kick back damage claims as
        denied due to insufficient packing.

[/ QUOTE ] They usually do, but you have to stay on top of them and pursue it. My 01 showed up with a split in the headstock. They tried to deny it and I sent it back to the seller. The seller collected close to the full insured amount(more than I actually paid him) and he got to keep the guitar.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

When my brother got his bass off eBay it was fine, just make sure it comes in a case though.

Comment

UPS = under paid slaves or united pot smokers take your pick. Some there care alot do not.

Comment

USE DHL... Or USPS/// they do a better job...
              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                USE DHL... Or USPS/// they do a better job...

[/ QUOTE ]

+infinity
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                X