Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do chain stores work out prices for used...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do chain stores work out prices for used...

I was just wondering how exactly chain stores like Sam Ash would work out prices for buying used gear and how they give you estimates for your used gear? I've dealt with Music Go Round and got some completely ridiculous price for an instrument, which i promptly said, "thanks for your time" and walked out.

How do they do they work out prices for your guitar you're looking to sell to them?

as always, thankas for any/all replies, i appreciate it, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!

Re: How do chain stores work out prices for used...

Blue book and discount what they would give to you so they can make it in profit.
    Not any different than a automobile trade-in.

Blue book = $1200 for your axe, their policy is to make say XX% profit margin, they will offer you around 60% of what the blue book says. +/- $700-$750.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

The blue book has high and low range trade in values listed, along with standart used "retail" pricing.
      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Oh and yes, "standart" is a word. Really, it is. I just made it up, so I should know.
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I usually pop on the bay and see what anything has sold for in the last month. That real-world pricing.

Matt

Comment

Re: How do chain stores work out prices for used..

I use PrePal.com as a basis for what I expect to pay. Most stores here seem to use what I expect to pay+30-40%

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I use PrePal.com as a basis for what I expect to pay. Most stores here seem to use what I expect to pay+30-40%

[/ QUOTE ]

That site is awesome! And very handy! Thanks a lot! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Prepal used to be awesome. Hasn't been updated in years. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

PrePal is nice, just wish it had more listings.
                  I know GC just tries to butt rape you... they always quote you the lowest book value for your trade provided you can get one of them to look it up. Most of the time it's even lower. I've even seen on more than one occasion a GC "sales rep" pull a grossly inaccurate number out of his ass without consulting anything or anyone.
                  Then to add insult to injury, they would apply it against the FULL RETAIL price of the item you are trading for.
                  I try not to frequent such places, but you have to go in their from time to time to see what they're up to.
                  I have only made one purchase at a GC and it was my GNX-1.
                  They actauly had a killer deal on these when they first came out. I couldn't find a better price anywhere else. Who knew?!?
                  -Rick

Comment

It depends on the person you're dealing with sometimes too.

I traded in an old Marshall Vs100 head at Daddys about a year ago. The 1st Daddys I went to, the guy starts giving me a bunch of bullshit straight off about how he already has one in the store(he didn't, he was lying)and how the new AVT's are so much better and bunch of other bullshit. He tells me "I can give you about $150 for it". I say "hmmmmmm, $150 huh?". He says "actually a little less than $150, more like $135". I said no thanks and left and headed straight to another Daddys.

The guy at the 2nd Daddys said "I'll give you $220" and it was a done deal. No bullshit, no lying. He looked in the book and offered me what it was worth.

Comment

Working...
                    X