Lollapalooza 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lollapalooza 2005

Has no one posted on this yet? I had a great time and the whole thing was very well orchestrated. It was 105 degrees on Sunday and the staff did a great job of letting the crowd know where to get water and even brought in city buses so you could go in and hang out in the AC.

There were basically 4 main stages at 4 corners of a big park and 2 stages would be in use at a time, so at most you only had to choose between 2 bands at a time (there was a 5th stage somewhere which had a bunch of bands I was unfamiliar with).

I like to be entertained during a live musical event, so even though your CD may be my favorite and I listen to it every day, you are getting a thumbs down if you just stand in one spot and play your guitar. That being said, my 2 favorite performances where Trail of the Dead and Arcade Fire. Trail of the Dead has 2 drumsets (which sounded pretty cool) as well as 3 guys who can play them as well as guitar and sing, so there is all kinds of running around and switching musical instruments going on. Same thing for Arcade Fire, most of the band members are multi-talented and they had these 2 guys that cracked the audience up.

Of course the Pixies were also killer and Dinosaur Jr. was good to see. Those 2 bands have earned the right to not have to jump around any more during performances because they are just so damn good. Weezer put on a good show but I had already seen them a bunch, so no big deal. I also got to see Billy Idol back together w/ Steve Stevens and they were very solid. Idol looks the same as he did 20 years ago.

I chose Cake over The Bravery and even though I don't dig most of Cake's music, that leader singer dude was pretty funny and probably the best at talking between songs.

As a surprise to me, I also got to see Nuno Bettencourt play in Satellite Party w/ Perry Farrel and that bassist from No Doubt. I only caught a couple songs, though, because I had no idea that's who the band was. Luckily I saw the "N 4" stickers on a giant monitor and made it over to the stage to catch a couple songs.

And finally the award for best band coordination goes to the Killers. Not only did they put on a good show, but all of their amps including the Fenders, the Marshalls, and the bassist's Ampeg had red grill cloth...it looked pretty cool.

Re: Lollapalooza 2005

I almost bought tix when they were 35 but then as the price rose I said effe it. I am a big Dino Jr fan and love the Pixies but I saw the Pixies alst year twice. Was it Dino Jr or J Mascis and the Fog (subtle difference but was more of the old setlist, or the newer Mike Watt stuff?)

Man that is funny @ winter Namm some of us got to see Perry and Nuno jam at that strange jamfest. Looks like they might be doing a project together aye?
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Did Dinosaur Jr do anything off Where You Been or was it just the really old stuff? I saw them on Lola back in the 90's and J Mascis is probably on of the most underated guitarists around. I want to see the Pixies as well, I have burned through many a copy of Dolittle and Bosanova. Trail of Dead I think are from Dallas and I hear are very good, but I have never seen them.

Comment

we streamed it live, 2 days of it. Steve Stevens and Billy Idol blew everyone else away imho....Nuno wasn't as good as I hoped he would be.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Honestly, I really wasn't all that interested in Lollapalooza. In some ways it would have been like a home Cubs game. I would have done everything possible to avoid the area if I wanted to go out. Besides, I was at NAMM getting my picture taken with Kevin Matthews. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Todd was Tervor down there with Kev?

Comment

Yup. They were both at the Jellifish booth until I talked to Kev and told him that Gary Hoey was at the GHS booth. Then Kristi and I saw them browsing some of the other exibits later on.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Trev has some chops!

Comment

That he does, my friend... That he does..
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

ick, the Bravery...i saw them once on mtv live something or other, and they all slopped around drunk...

i thought G Love and special sauce were supposed to be there? Its very weird, but catchy, funk/hip-hop/jazzy stuff. the guitar player/singer is neat to watch. that, and his les paul custom.

Comment

i don't know enough about dino jr. to know what exarctly was going up there. All I know is he played a Mustang or Jaguar through that purple Marshall reissue stack.

G Love was up against Arcade Fire, so I was not privy to the Sauce.

Comment

Get Where You Been, of any of the "grunge" bands from back then J really had some chops. He is totally about old shit so it was probably a blue jag or jazz master. I like that Bravery song Honest Mistake, it is a new wave throw back but there is some what of a guitar lead to it. I went to the first three I think lola's the pinacle being able to see Jane's Addiction at the first one. I dont think I could tolerate the crowds now.

Comment

The first one was flat out awesome...

Out There is such a great track actually I love Where you been anything post that was pretty dull... The old SST stuff was great though SST was a killer label, Dino JR, Husker Du, Black Flag, Circle Jerks...

Comment

Working...
                          X