Thinking about picking up a boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about picking up a boat

I've heard both bad and good things about jet-drive boats...but I think I might give one a go....anyone here own one?.....a Yamaha or a Sea-Doo?
    This is pretty much what I am looking for if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WDVW
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Re: Thinking about picking up a boat

The Bombardier (Sea Doos) are really nice, not too expensive...they look cool as hell. I got to take one out a couple of years ago...and a Yamaha also...I liked the Bombardier better performance-wise.

Comment

Paging Drsracing....

Comment

i personally wouldn't go for a jet drive, as they are about as inefficient as it gets. basically, driving one of those means either off or full throttle. anything in between is pretty much useless. i really prefer the basic z-drive.
        although ski-boats like mastercraft are great, too, especially in corners.

anyways, boats are mucho fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There is a lot of "work" when it comes to boating ...it's not all fun and games...my dad has been boating (speed boats) for the last 30 years or so ...and my sister always wanted one until she got one...now it's a cacoon in their back yard...just sitting there ...like a dead rock...

maintenance , gas , storage , hauling it , cleaning / waxing ...if you don't mind the hassle it can be fun...but it is time consuming and expensive..

a real commitment ...think it thru...

my dad got into boats when he got out of bikes and when boats became too much work for him in his older age ...he went back to bikes...big time.

his bud Joe just bought a sweet boat with NOS on it and everything 100 MPH boat..

I'm not into boats...I can't swim..and I'm LAZY!!!

and 60 MPH on the water is fast ...it's not like a car
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Boats are very heavy. Make sure you warm up before hand. You risk serious injury if you're not loose. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I know about boat maintenance....I grew up on Cape Cod Massachusetts and we always were on the water....average skiing speed was about 55-60mph (hurt ALOT when we crashed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])...I just never had a jet drive boat nor had I ever been in one...they just look kinda cool....and I think I'll warm up with a small canoe and then a jet ski before I try to pick up the boat.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

The two best times a boat owner has are the day they buy it and the day they sell it. The main thing is how often will you get to use for how much you are spending on it.

Comment

"The two best times a boat owner has are the day they buy it and the day they sell it. The main thing is how often will you get to use for how much you are spending on it."

I think any boat owner can vouch to that!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The two best times a boat owner has are the day they buy it and the day they sell it. The main thing is how often will you get to use for how much you are spending on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just it...if you're really into it (like I am)...you'll get plenty of use out of it. I had a cabin cruiser for 2 years....went out on it every weekend between early May to early October, and even snuck in days during the week to go out. My particular boat wasn't a money pit as some others are, and it wasn't a pig on gas either. Guess I got lucky (I bought it used, but immaculate).

But you have to weigh the difference of how much money you'll spend on it to how much you'll use it.

Comment

yes...listen to these guys...man..

think it thru..

Not like my dumb sister and her mechanicaly enept dumbfuck husband...that dude broke the boat the day they got it...he has the touch of death...

he once shattered a toilet puting on a new toilet seat...that's how bad this doofus is.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If you buy a small jet boat, Buy a Sea Doo, DO NOT BUY A BAYLINER JAZZ!!!!!!!!! Those suck.

Personally the Bayliner 18-22 footers are the best for the money. Get one with a 6 cyl. Merc and you'll be happy.

As far as coss go, All toy's come with their hidden costs. boats are probally the highest as far as those go but nothing beats a week end up here in the san Juans on a boat with nothing but the Water around you and a cooler full of beer
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          If you buy a small jet boat, Buy a Sea Doo, DO NOT BUY A BAYLINER JAZZ!!!!!!!!! Those suck.

Personally the Bayliner 18-22 footers are the best for the money. Get one with a 6 cyl. Merc and you'll be happy.

As far as coss go, All toy's come with their hidden costs. boats are probally the highest as far as those go but nothing beats a week end up here in the san Juans on a boat with nothing but the Water around you and a cooler full of beer

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree on the Bayliners. Don't get one! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] I own a 20ft bowrider and get lots of use out of it. Currently looking at a 28 ft Silverton w/flybridge. Of course, gas prices are slowly turning me off. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

I've been up around the San Juan Islands, not on a private boat, but on a Navy ship. I usually travel up to Indian Island to work on ships there. Spend my free time in Port Townsend. Nice! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

As for boats, they could be a pain in the arse. Mercruisers are good, cause I can work on them. Outboards baffle me and too expensive, though my father swears by them.

I live on the Atlantic, so in the summertime my boat is docked in my backyard, and in the winter, I stick it on a trailer and put it in the front yard. No storage costs.
                          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys....I'm still debating on whether or not to just go out and get one....I like the looks of the Sea Doo Speedsters....and they can be bought for relatively cheap money used from 5k to 7k (new cost is close to 30k!!!).....but like I said...I'm just in the debating stage of it all

Comment

hey how many posts till I get to gold???? I been here since November 02 and still haven't thought up too many insightful things to post on here and build up my post count lol

Comment

Working...
                              X