SF-Oakland area todo list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF-Oakland area todo list.

I'm flying into SF and staying at Oakland Hilton from 8-15 August, Monday to Monday. First two days should be intense work, then.........play time! What to do, where to go?

So far I see Oakland-Angels game on Tuesday.

Any good clubs, music scenes, things-to do, or must do's while I'm there? [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: SF-Oakland area todo list.

Whenever I find myself in Oakland the first thing on my "to do" list is to leave.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

The only place to go in Oakland where you probably won't get shot is Jack London Square. Once there, there are two things you must do.

1) Go to Everett & Jones' Barbecue for the greatest BBQ around.

2) Go to Yoshii's to see/hear the smoothest jazz around. Both are good places to spot celebs.

3) Get on a ferry or BART and get the hell out of Oakland while you still can. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you want to know what you can do in SF, PM me and we can discuss by email, IM or phone.

Comment

SBC Park is 100 times nicer than Oakland's park. Try to catch a game there. I know it's the Giants, but.....

try the garlic fries!

-Mark

Comment

Go to Mels on Van Ness in SF. Great burgers and shakes.(If they are still open).

Head to the South Bay to Sunnyvale. Check out The Starving Musician on El Camino Real. Pretty cool used gear and guitar store. If you are up to it drive down to san Jose to the GC, it used to be a pretty cool store when I lived out there.

If you can get on base check out Moffett Field. There used to be some cool static displays of an old p-2 and a p-3A. Plus Hanger one the old airship hanger is a site to behold.

Comment

Mel's is still there, that's my normal post night-out-drinking breakfast spot when I'm up in the city. A restaurant owner in Phoenix told me to check out Gibson's in SF for bruch on the weekends but I've not tried it yet.
            And I'll second the idea of catching a game over at SBC, it really is about a hundred times better than Oakland. If you want to hit a few bars in SF, try the North Beach area: Vesuvio's is kind of a cool old place, Spec's across the street is a bit of a dive but it's one of the old beatnik bars from the 60s and still draws a pretty eclectic crowd, there's a jazz club next door to Spec's that occasionally has pretty good live music, and lots of other places within a few blocks of those. If you're into motorcycles a trip up to Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Drive on a Sunday afternoon is an absolute must. You can skip GC in San Jose and the Starving Musician, they're both OK but not worth the drive down here, the place to see cool guitars in this area is the Guitar Showcase on Bascom in San Jose.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Starving Musician was a cool place to go about 7 years ago. I wen there a couple months ago and they stock about 50% less guitars then they used too. They have been hit hard by Ebay and the internet but they wont admit it. They only stock maybe a handful of guitar worth over 900 dollars and they are usually overpriced the rest is crap. Guitar showcase has cool guitars to look at but once again there is no deals to be had. I have not bought a guitar locally here since 94 I do all my shopping on line everything is iverpriced and even GC wont cut you any good deals unless you ask for the manager and bring a copy of Musicians Friend and show them you can get it cheaper.

Comment

Thanks guys. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I have several ships in the Alameda area I have to go onboard and do my work, but I'll be heading to SF at night and, depending how long it takes me to do these jobs, day time too. I would've like to have gone to Giants Stadium, but they're playing away at that time and the A's are in town. I am gonna travel north to Muir Woods, and continue north, driving on the weekend. I'll check out some of the places you posted. I know I'll be down at Pier 39 eating dinner most of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Guitar Showcase sucks for deals. Not too long ago I bought a nice Levy's leather strap for around $40.00. I go back the next month to buy 3 more. The girl at the counter tells me $65.00 each. I'm like...WTF??? I say, I'll give you $40 each. She says they don't discount straps. I said, you did last month. She says, no we didn't. Uh, yes you did you fat cow. Plus, Kelly, the saggy-eyed guy that used to work at Guitar Center back in the day works there. He never gives deals.

Starving Musician isn't all that great anymore either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Starving Musician isn't all that great anymore either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that sucks. When I was stationed at Moffett Field from 90 to 92. Starving Musician was wall to wall guitars. They had some good deals. There used to be a mom and pop shop in downtown mountain view where i bought my Model 3A NOS. I'm sure they are probably gone now. There was also a (J and J music?) in San Jose I got my Lynch ESP from there. I miss the bay area.

Comment

I used to hang out at all those stores back in the early 90s and there were all types of cool things and deals to be had. Not anymore, I think J&J went out of business I remember they were the only ESP dealer in the Bay Area back then. The stores around here arent going to cut you a deal on anything they dont have to anymore. They will wait till some sucker that pays full sticker for a guitar comes in. It happens all the time. I remember one of the last new guitars I got in 92 was a Gibson explorer at SJ GC brand new with case 600 out the door. Not anymore.

Comment

Edit: My BAd I had the WRONG MONTH. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd say go to Rocker Guitars on Mission Street in SF, but their hours are pathetic. They have a good selection of quality stuff. Usually a good amount of USA Jacksons. They aren't cheap, and the staff can be very prickly sometimes, but its a cool store.

If you're going to spend any time in SF eating, for the love of God don't waste your time at a shithole like Mel's or something on Pier 39.

If you do go to the Wharf, go to Lou's on Pier 47. Usually some great rock and blues players there, any night of the week.

The Boom Boom Room and Biscuits'n'Blues are other good places for old school blues.

Don't know how old you are, but you might want to check out the scene on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            If you do go to the Wharf, go to Lou's on Pier 47. Usually some great rock and blues players there, any night of the week

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely check it out!

Comment

Rocker Guitars sells cool stuff like Bogners, Soldanos, etc.

K&K used to be cool. Now they mostly sell DJ equipment. I bought my first EMG and Wah from them around 1985. They used to have tons of Boogies, Laneys and BCRs.

Comment

Working...
                              X