Need computer home networking help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need computer home networking help...

Anyone here know about home networking a couple computers? I'm completely lost. I'm not computer illiterate by any stretch, but VERY networking illiterate.

I need to connect 2 machines, one PC and one Mac, wirelessly. The Mac is the main machine and has the wireless stuff built in already. The pc is my kids machine, and I wanna keep the bad stuff away from him (he's only 7). The DSL box (router? bridge? thing?) is connected to the ethernet port on the mac.

The pc has an ethernet card, but no wireless capability yet.

I'm completely lost and don't know where to start. Don't know if I should put a wireless basestation on the dsl box and transmit to both computers, or leave it connected to the mac and have the pc talk through that to the outside world. Of course that's just the internet part, I also wanna share/send files and stuff back and forth and maybe share printers.

All the tutorials I've found so far on the web for pc's assume you're only working with pc's, and confuse me more. The mac stuff on the web is full of marketing claiming it works flawlessly with pc's, but no details on HOW.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Dave
Working...
X