Virus problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus problem

My computer is infected with imbedded virus' so i've noticed that my computer is slower than when i first got it. Whats the best way to get rid of ALL virus'? re-boot the computer completely? or is there some magical anti-virus problem?

Thanks
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Virus problem

I've got MacAfee and it works great. That with Counterspy really cleaned out my machine. But at one point my computer was so overrun with spyware and virus's that I just formatted my PC, and it was new again. Depending on how bad your problem is, I suggest a format of the hard drive to really get all that stuff out

Comment

Try getting Lavasoft's Ad-aware for spyware removal. Hi-jack this is pretty good too. McAfee and Norton are both pretty good anti-virus programs. For cleaning, though, I would suggest the Ad-aware and/or Hijack this.

You can do a google search and find the free downloadable versions of these two programs.

Comment

If i were to re-format the computer, would Windows XP still be with the computer, as the computer already came with XP?
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Most likely not. Usually computers come with a Recovery Disk CD that puts Windows and everything else that came stock in the computer back in (that is if you have a brand name PC). Really all depends on what kinda computer you have and how old it is.

I also have AdAware, and it's pretty good, but when I installed Counterspy it found stuff Adaware left behind. Actually, those 2 together might be good too.

www.sunbelt-software.com is where you can DL Counterspy free for 20 days I think it is

Comment

Do NOT use Hijack This if you don't know the consequences of fooling around with your computer's registry. Use it only under the supervision/guidance of someone who is trained to spot anything wrong.

You can wipe out all the crap on your computer with one swift action by visiting www.spywarewarrior.com's forum. They are EXCELLENT and I've gained a lot of spyware/malware/virus prevention knowledge when they helped me clean up my system from the nasty Aurora/Nail scum and stuff that I didn't even know I had on my computer. They first thing they'll probably get you to do is to download Hijack This, perform a scan with it, and post the logfile that it creates for you. They'll look at the logfile and can diagnose your computer's problems based on what they see. For me, they advised me to download certain cleanup programs and post logfiles after each recommended manual deletion or registry alteration.

In short, I am now running multiple programs on my system:

-Norton/Symantec Internet Security (AVG is actually a better antivirus program, and it's free)
            -Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6.0
            -Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 and Spybot TeaTimer
            -Javacool Software SpywareBlaster 3.4
            -Ewido Security Suite 3.5 (this will be one of your main weapons in deep scans)
            -Hijack This (used only with proper supervision and advice)
            -System Security Suite 1.04

Everybody who is experiencing problems of any kind should visit the forum on www.spywarewarrior.com and they'll fix you right up. It's their job.

Yes, I am aware that this huge recommendation I am making seems like a LOT of work, and it IS, but for the amount of time some people spend on their computers, it is VERY beneficial. I made a commitment to myself to combat the internet dickcheese on my system and now I'm helping you guys out.

Comment

Working...
            X