I need a new job HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new job HELP!

Warning, this will be a substantially long post.

I am a commercial sales consultant for an architectural finishing hardware supplier. In other words, I sell doorknobs. That's the joke anyway, but I'm not finding it very amusing lately. What I actually do, is take architectural drawings and specifications, and do a take-off (estimate) on supplying finishing hardware, hollow metal doors, and frames, wood doors, and washroom accessories. Finishing hardware includes such items as hinges, locksets, door closers, exit devices (commonly referred to incorrectly as panic bars), kickplates, weatherstripping, etc.

I basically quote on large jobs such as schools, hospitals, industrial buildings, and hotels. I quote the job, and if we are awarded the job, I coordinate the entire job from start to finish.

These projects are often quite complicated, and stressful, often involving many hours on the phone, some of them getting yelled at by general contractors who want their product tomorrow, product that takes 3-5 weeks to get.

I have a lot of freedom in my job, and pretty much come and go as I please. I have a brand new company vehicle and a gas card. Sounds great right?

Well I hate it! First of all, I have far too much work on my plate, and with so much work, mistakes get made, and that creates more work. Each salesman is supposed to have a coordinator, whose job is supposed to be to take the job's I have been awarded, and basically take care of them from that point, allowing me to get out and see architects and contractors more. Unfortunately, over the past few years, I haven't had a steady coordinator at all. We would hire someone, I would spend months training them, and just as I was getting to the point where I could trust them with my projects, they quit. We have a new guy now who is picking up on things pretty fast, but here's the kicker: even though he is supposed to be MY coordinator, the department manager, and the general manager have him busy doing their shit 7 hours out of every day. A decent monthly sales number for a salesman WITH a coordinator is $100,000. Well last month I did $122,000 by myself, WITHOUT a coordinator.

If I had a coordinator to myself who I could trust, I could pull $150,000 months easily, with less stress, and less bullshit.

So, my point is, I don't see things changing around here, and I'm really not enjoying my job at all. I need a change drastically before I lose my mind. I hate coming home from work being grouchy, and snapping at my wife and son.

My dilemna is that I have no idea whatsoever what to do. Even though I am good with math, and numbers, and whatnot, I actually prefer working with my hands. I never used to be a people person at all, but being a sales consultant has improved my attitude in that respect a lot. I really don't want a sales job, and I don't want a shitty, dirty, heavy manual labour type job either.

If anyone has a suggestion, please, please speak up, regardless of how outlandish it might be. I need some ideas people.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: I need a new job HELP!

Talk to your boss and tell them what is going on. If you think you can leave and do a similar job with a different company for the same pay or better then go for it. Money isn't everything but try to do something without it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Every job in the world is going to have its pros and cons. I'd try to first make it right where your at now by talking to management about your current situation and see if they'll work with you on that. If not get your resume together and see what you can get before you decide to quit. Also find something to relieve the stress of the job (all of them have it) exercise, play hockey or something. Leave work at work and don't bring it and the stress of it home to your family.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

It's a "job" Zeegs..

I know about coming home and snapping at my family after a full day of rollin' around in cockroach infested apartments with retarded , violent welfare wombats...getting bit , spit on , all cockaroached and all ghettoed up with ghetto spooge..in the ghetto [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Where I want to burn my clothes with me still in them...Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....yuck!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]..Nasty motherfuckers!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Yeah...I know what it's like to get a little fucking worked up.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A boss will always try to bleed ya if you let him...They will always try and make their jobs easier buy pawning off "their" work onto someone else..or their employees..while they sit on their ass ...reading the fucking paper.. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

I know that all too well...but you can only do X amount of things in X amount of time...and when things don't get done because your boss is using "your" helper...fuck it ...then so be it...do what you can do...and if your boss says anything...then hit him between the eyes with a dose of logic , truth and reality...bosses just hate that! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

or just tell him to go fuck himself..but in a nice "professional" way...that's is effective too... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Try to leave work at work...I know it's hard but the family don't care and knows what the fuck you do all day...all they know is that you come home and bitch..everyday!

hmmmm...how do I know this.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The best job in Canada is a politician. There are many levels, city councillors dont do anything and make about $100G, and they are dumber than posts. If you want to steal then maybe the Liberal party beckons you. You can be like a mafia dude and be totally above the law. Its really easy too, as a Liberal party member you dont even need a speech writer. Just repeat after me, and you'll be fine: "Socialize X, unionize Y, tax Z, payhike now.". Thats all you need to remember..................

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          even though he is supposed to be MY coordinator, the department manager, and the general manager have him busy doing their shit 7 hours out of every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any way of getting rid of that problem? It seems if you have him as your right hand man, a good chunk of your problems will go away. How in the hell do the other managers get away with that? Is it possible to go to the other managers and tell them that he is your cooridinator and not theirs? If that doesn't work, what about going to their boss? If that fails, is it possible to hire a coordinator out of your own pocket? Granted it would suck to have to pay him when the company should, but he would be strictly under your say, nobody else's. Not to mention, if you can stand your job you'll get more money than if you can't stand it and end up leaving.

In the sense of getting another job, I would try to stay in the field that you've been working in. It may pay to just go to another company. If not that, then something related. I'll bet with experience like that you could get a decently high job at Home Depot or something like that.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Comment

We have pretty similar jobs Zeeg...

I will echo the other sentiments either try abnother company or give your boss your demands of the help you need. Tell him in a proper way that he needs to go out and get a good coordinator for you

Now if the issue is that you just flat out don't like your job or the field at all are you interested in working as a Tradesman?
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Definitely wait for them to mention your "disappointing performance" and then tell them they took your coordinator.
              Then again, it sounds like a screwed up situation to me anyway - the reason the coordinators quit is because they have the same workload you've got now dumped on them for less money.
              I'd quit too, because I'm sure it looks to them like they're doing your job while you're "in a meeting" all the time, but you're the one getting all the money.

Now, if you worked WITH the coordinator instead of "here, do everything on this list while I go talk to these other people", you might keep one around. It's not a question of "that's not how we do it", it's a question of "that's how it's going to be done". Take the coordinator with you when you talk to whoever at the job site, and help the coordinator with the stuff they're doing.

Basically you'll have to change the job format from one of "boss/underling" to "co-workers" where you're both doing the same job together. This also qualifies the coordinator to do your job should you leave at some point, and helps that person out with a solid foot in the door to your job if you get fed up and quit.

If you're doing $122K in sales by yourself, you don't need a coordinator. That's exactly how your bosses see it. No, they don't care if you go home grouchy, they just see $122K in numbers.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

If you're doing $122K in sales by yourself, you don't need a coordinator. That's exactly how your bosses see it. No, they don't care if you go home grouchy, they just see $122K in numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Hopefully they'll see that that much stress is pushing you to your end though. 122K is a lot to pull in by one person! Congrats on that!

Comment

They won't care about the stress level until you come in waving a gun, then they'll be on TV like everyone else saying "If only he'd come to us earlier about it, we would have understood" [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, I should be clear here. I started at this place 6 years ago as a coordinator myself. I worked hard, but I was very good at my job, and still had time to screw around every day. I moved up from coordinator to consultant about 18 months later. Our coordinators are NOT worked hard by any means. They have a decent job, with decent pay, and a fair number of perks.

I think the bottom line is that regardless of the stress, I would still prefer doing something else.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Talk to your boss and tell them what is going on. If you think you can leave and do a similar job with a different company for the same pay or better then go for it. Money isn't everything but try to do something without it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

money isn't everything, it's only 9.8 % of everything. i'm serious .
                      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Start your own business doing what you are doing now. Thats what I did. I make my own hours and I can sit at home and smoke dope all day if thats what I chose to do.

Comment

Me Too Dammit...I retired and smoke dope all day...it's much funner than work..

work is gay.. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X