For people who lift weights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For people who lift weights...

Do you use more dumbbells or barbell/plated weights? For some reason I can do more weight and reps on plates than I can on dumbbells. I can bench 200lbs on the barbell but I can do about 150lbs combined with dumbbells...any idea why?

Re: For people who lift weights...

Personally I use small 12 oz. aluminum cylinders and a stunningly high number of reps.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I use barbells.

With barbells you have better weight distribution therefore it is easier to lift. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I do cock pushups..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, I love when Nicole does that... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

With the dumbbells you have to use your stabilizer muscles to keep them from falling to the side. With the straight bar and plates you can concentrate on using your pecs and triceps and just push.

So it's completly normal.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Do you use more dumbbells or barbell/plated weights? For some reason I can do more weight and reps on plates than I can on dumbbells. I can bench 200lbs on the barbell but I can do about 150lbs combined with dumbbells...any idea why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats normal... you ask why? When you use barbells the weight is easier to handle because it's one unit. It's easier to control and "ballance". With dumbells you recruit a lot more stabelizer muscles trying to "ballance" 2 units. Personally I prefer dumbells because of the fact that you have to work harder to ballance them. I hope that helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Dave beat me by a couple of seconds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, these guys pretty much summed it all up for ya. I, personally, use a combination of barbells and dumbbells. Of course I also use two inch axles, tires, stones, logs, sand-filled kegs, etc. Nothing like lifting odd objects to recruit as many stabilizers as possible. It also works wonders for functional strength. It's one thing to be able to bench press a lot of weight. But when are you ever going to use that motion in the real world. Maybe for lifting a fat chick off you after she rides you to exhaustion.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    But when are you ever going to use that motion in the real world. Maybe for lifting a fat chick off you after she rides you to exhaustion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welllllllll, that ain't gonna happen here, haha...

Comment

I never banged a fat chick...I don't think I would enjoy that..

nahhhh ...that's nasty.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Personally I use small 12 oz. aluminum cylinders and a stunningly high number of reps.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X