Saw Billy Idol in SJ last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Billy Idol in SJ last night

I went to the Billy Idol concert in San Jose last night. Let me start by saying that I've seen Billy before, and I had no doubt that it would be a great show. Given that he's no spring chicken anymore though, I figured it would be a bit tamer.

I was blown away by just HOW GREAT a show it was.

Billy, Steve, and the whole band were smoking. Really tight.

Steve played a lot of his solo stuff from Flamenco a Go Go, which was surprising. I think most of the audience had no idea what he was playing, but they were pretty mesmerized anyway. Gave Billy a rest from time to time cause he was gonna fall dead from exhaustion.

The interaction with the crowd was great. The pit was right up to the front of the stage, and Billy and Steve were interacting with fans constantly. Even signing shit people were throwing up there without missing a beat.

They played all the rocking tracks off the new album and most of the classics. The new tracks sounded much better live!

The finale was pretty impressive, but I won't publicly spill the beans on that in case anyone is planning to see the tour.

I'm 31, but I felt like a granpa at this show. I think about 80% of the fans were kids under 14 with their parents. They weren't even alive when Billy was big. Kinda weird. I guess pop-punk is sorta making a revival and ol' Billy is the grand-dad.

For the heavier stuff Steve played a variety of Les Paul Customs, except for Rebel Yell where he played an EB MM and as usual all the softer stuff was on a Godin.

With no opening acts, no commercial sponsor bullshit, and only $35 a ticket (plus $80 in service charges...), it was a really great event.

Re: Saw Billy Idol in SJ last night

Steve rocks, I saw billy back in 01 and it rocked
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Stevens is KILLER!!!!

I really don't care for Billy's music...well "Rebel Yell" and "white wedding" kicks ass...but Steve is fucking KILLER!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

+1 I saw Billy & Steve at Download, Donington, a month back & they rocked. Steve's playing was killer & Billy was in pretty good shape too - although seemed a bit knackered at times. Great set. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

What guitars was Steve using and if you saw any amps?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

For the heavier stuff Steve played a variety of Les Paul Customs, except for Rebel Yell where he played an EB MM and as usual all the softer stuff was on a Godin.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Step away from the Tequila, Toru. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Billy Idol is just too cool. I would love to go see him when he comes around here.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Step away from the Tequila, Toru. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH!
                Yea, I was drinking a beer when I posted.
                I usually don't drink but there was nothing else to drink at home.
                I get so drunk by 1 beer and that will make me drunk for next 2days.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X