Question about .TIF files vs .PDF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about .TIF files vs .PDF files

My boss asked me to look into converting .TIF files to .PDF files. First of all, we (new home construction business) are having problems with people not being able to open up the .TIF files. We are wondering if .PDF files are more univerally used/accepted and if so, what would be an easy way to convert to PDF? I figured there are some computer guys here who could help me out....

Thanks,

GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Question about .TIF files vs .PDF files

The popular web browsers won't understand .tif files unless the user has installed a .tif plugin (e.g., the free "Alterna-TIF"). I'd imagine that Adobe Acrobat would convert .tif files to .pdf.

That said .tif files are really just raster images like .gif or .jpg files so you might try one of those formats as most folks will be able to view them without updating their browsers (I'm assuming of course that you're distributing these via a web site).
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

You can save a tif as a PDF in Adobe Photoshop.

Tiff's are raster images.

PDF is a file format that supports raster images, vector art, quicktime movies, etc.

All you need to open a PDF file is Adobe Acrobat Reader which is free from adobe.com

The Reader is used by tons, probably millions of people out there.

Comment

Apple Quiktime will open TIFF, but not may people care to have it.
        Adobe products I believe are quite expensive, and may have many more features than you care to have/need so alternatives are better.
        I use an app at work called PDF XChange. http://www.docu-track.com
        Basically gives me a virtual printer, and I can print anything to file (pdf).

From what I see on their site, you may want PDF-Tools
        My app is PDF-XChange Pro, (includes tools, so maybe that's why I can print everything.)

Comment

Working...
        X