No announcement yet.

how much is a rhoads-shipping US to EU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much is a rhoads-shipping US to EU?

hi there!
    I just bought a rhoads off ebay for a friend of mine, and I asked the seller for the price on shipping.
    he said he'd find out later (after the auction was ended).
    and now I just got a reply from him, where he says, that UPS asks 335USD to ship a rhoads to germany?!? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
    can't be true really...

did anyone of you ship a rhoads to germany or near?
    or someone bought one and still knows about the shipping charges?
    335 bucks sounds insane to me...
    the guitar ended up for 285, and I think he's not satisfied with his price maybe.

would be great if someone helped me here! thx!
    best regards///micha
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Re: how much is a rhoads-shipping US to EU?

I shipped a Rhoads to Munich through Canada Post for $150 - it arrived in four days and was insured for $1000. That UPS price is probably overnight or second day air.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Yeah, it is not a lie, companies like UPS, Fedex really do charge that much. Tell the seller to use USPS Air Parcel. That will cost you around 100-150.

Comment

wow, did really not think that a shipping could be THAT expansive..

@jimmy are you located in the US or canada?
        I dunno canada post, so I thought I'd ask...

thx for your help guys!!

Comment

Rhoads with cases are huge and private shipping companies will charge a lot for oversized packages.

Comment

Yep and the trouble is that if a Rhoads case is properly packed for shipping the size (length + girth) will exceed the US Post Office's 108" limit forcing the shipper to use FedEx / UPS / etc. at double (or more) the cost. I've gotten similar quotes from UPS & FedEx for Rhoads-sized packages to Europe. IIRC DHL was a bit cheaper but still around $200.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

thx for your post.
              I just tried out the USPS, but is it true, that they don't have insurance on their packages?
              that's what my seller says... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thats total bullshit.

My Soloist got sent from New Mexico to Belgium in a week with USPS, it arrived in tip-top shape (also thanks to Junior/Jabez) and it was insured as an SL2H (so +- $1500? or more)
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Depends Micha. If he sends it "economy parcel post" (6 weeks or so by sea) there is no insurance. If he sends it "airmail parcel post" he can insure it for up to $500. If he sends it "global express" he can insure it for up to $2499. Details for Germany are here.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

6 weeks by sea? I'd be puking at the thought of a guitar being in transit that long.

Airmail parcel post is the way to go.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Personally I like EMS as the stuff seems to clear customs much quicker. I've had airmail parcel post stuff get tied up for weeks but have never had an EMS shipment take more than a few days to clear. Of course that's out of a relatively small sample size so YMMV. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And Micha I may be wrong about the insurance limit for "global express" service. They give two limits: $2499 and a lower $500 limit that may apply to anything that's dutiable. The manual isn't exactly clear.

Comment

That's an interesting point. I estimate I have shipped eighteen guitars in the last two years to the USA and Europe and have never once encountered a customs delay. However, I have had to wait on nearly every occasion for a guitar to clear Canadian Customs. Three to five days has always been the norm, outside of transit times. Maybe I'm flagged?
                        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

well.. I have some experience here.. from the US to Belgium that is:
                          the biggest shipping cost for me was to have Brett's LTD shipped for approx. $225 (oversized, 3 day delivery), but normally the cost should be below $150 for an oversized package 4-10 day delivery (like my GMW Polka V for example)!

I think USPS is the cheapest way to go, and I also believe you can pay extra for insurance. I personally had never any bad experience with USPS, where as with Fedex.. uughh [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Details for Germany are here.

[/ QUOTE ]

thx man!
                            but I doubt this homepage is really up to date.
                            on point 6 or so, they talk about something like books with a value over 50 DM...
                            don'r they know the deutsche mark is dead and we use to deal with euros for 5-6 years or so? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but I'm sure everything will work now.
                            thx for your help guys!!

I now calculated a shipping over 156 bucks, 4-10 days, which is acceptable for me.
                            an insurance over 500 dollars would be enough I guess, since I payed only 285 for that guitar. you can imagine my face reading, that the shipping is about to cost 335 dollars!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

now I have to wait for his reply, but he seems to be an alright guy. doesn't whrite a lot, only 2 sentences on my kind emails [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , but he's not making trouble too.
                            I'm glad about that, since I had to convince him to ship outside US anyway... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

so thx again for your help!! there's really days, when I love this place!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

one last question;
                              someone knows, wether USPS does offer a packagin service? that's what the seller asked for...
                              I did read their damn webpage, but somehow don't get it. and their pseudo-toll-free number has one of these computer answering, which keeps you pressing numbers for minutes... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              THX///

Comment

Working...
                              X