My bassist is a ass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bassist is a ass.

We we're going to record today and he came over and just lost interest and basically just brushed it off.

I'm sick of trying to get a band started. I'm just going to buy my own bass and record stuff. I'm sick of relying on other people for stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: My bassist is a ass.

Bassist's Usually do suck
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Good for you. The first step on the road to megalomania is admitting that other people suck [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, I know what you mean - that's why I don't have a band any more. Everyone wanted to throw down cash for time in a "real" studio, but no one wanted to spend more than 2 weeks actually recording anything.
      That's why I bought my own recorder instead and we did it ourselves. They still whined and bitched, and I told them each time "..and you wanted to go into a studio?"
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well speaking as a bassist...I take offense to that [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Most of the bass players I've known are pretty good. I've met a lot of musicians...guitar players, vocalists, drummers...all who blow stuff off like practicing and recording. It really is difficult to get a good bunch of people together and have them all have the same work ethic. I do feel your pain. It's just something that make it more special when you've got a band that works together.

If you need any advice on buying/recording a bass...let me know. I've done a lot of research! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm a drummer so, I think I have it worse [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not as much as drummers. And singers. And let's not even get started on keyboard players. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Yes, I stand corrected. Keyboard Players suck the most

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yes, I stand corrected. Keyboard Players suck the most

[/ QUOTE ] Nice deflection Donnie. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

At least none of you are in Jethro Tull. Fucking flute players.

Comment

Michael... I don't know how old you are but if you're younger you're going to have to deal with the hordes and hordes of people that just want to be in a band for the sake of being in a band and being cool. When I was in high school (and even up until now) it was such a pain in the ass to find people that were interested in playing music and had the drive to actually work on it.

In almost every band I've been in we've dealt with people that are just unmotivated, distracted, or just flat-out not interested in really playing. I'm lucky that at the point we're at right now with both bands we've assembled a group of guys that are all friends, driven / dedicated to creating music, and willing to put forth the time and effort in being in a band.

Being in a band is tough because there are a lot of people that are musicians that are one of the following things (if not more!); lazy, addicts, liars, ego-maniacs, or flakes.

One of my roommates has looking for a drummer for his band for almost 2 years and prior to that he was looking for a singer for almost a year and a half. He's literally tried out hundreds of drummers probably a good third of them flaked out and no showed. Another third just sucked and lied about their ability level. The last third were reasonably good but didn't jive well with the band.

The band I play bass in has been through a ton of guitarists in the past 4 years simply because most of them are just not really interested in creating music, or just have their priorities elsewhere.

Yes, its frustrating dealing with these people but once you get a good lineup ready then you'll be very happy.

Also, is it possible he just got a little freaked out with the whole 'recording' thing? If he hasn't recorded before he could've been a little intimidated. I won't lie, my first time, I was definitely very intimidated... But after I got started it was a lot of fun and I wanted to do it again and again... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I never understood why anyone panicked when it came to recording. George Lynch used to say he'd freeze up when the red (recording) light came on in the studio, so they'd hafta catch him jamming when his back was turned to get him on tape.

I mean, if you're not confident enough in your abilities to lay it down on tape, get over it. I do hundreds of retakes for my stuff because this part's not right or there's a clam her or there. It's not a fear of the recorder, or that I'm gonna hear how bad I am over and over and over, I know I just suck at certain things [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I get over it and keep trying to do it until it's better and better each time.
                      Of course you can get something that sounds too sterile and uninspired, but that's something else you have to work on - make it precise, but have feeling.

If you record crap, it's gonna sound like crap each time that spot on the disc hits the laser.

But it's easy enough to do it over, so why would anyone panic over it?

As for potential band members, you have to remember that a lot of people pick up an instrument to get laid, and studio work and writing songs won't get you laid as much as just going out and being seen and looking cool with an instrument.

These are the morons that make it hard for the rest of us to find quality musicians.

That's one good thing about Rap being so popular - people are doing THAT now to get laid [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Michael where do u live, and whats you music style?

Comment

In my years in bands I had the most trouble with bass players.. always nagging about everything..

ofcourse I'm not referring to every bass player out there.. there are some awesome players and great people among them.. but the ones I know suck haha
                          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            At least none of you are in Jethro Tull. Fucking flute players.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike - you need a BOSS DR-880. You can thank me later, right after you tell yer bassist to go jump in a lake.
                            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

A couple, who's relationship was on the rocks, went to a marriage counselor who could not get them to discuss anything. The communication block was so heavy that nothing he suggested could make them open up and talk.

Finally after several sessions of non-communication, the counselor stands up, walks to the corner of the room and produces a bass guitar. He brings it to the couple, plugs it into a small practice amp and begins to play fervently. Gradually their barriers break down and they begin to discuss their problems and little things that always bothered them that they never felt encouraged to bring up before.

At the end of the session, they were smiling and laughing just like old times. They paid their bill and before leaving, the couple asked the counselor, "What did you do? How did that song help make everything work out?"

He answered simply, "Everybody talks during the bass solo."
                              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                              X