Cancer Benefit gig review/cautionary tale ;0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer Benefit gig review/cautionary tale ;0

This was a Relay for Life, benefitting the American Cancer Society. It was at Tulsa University. We were scheduled to play two 'sets' and one band dropped out a little over a week before the event. We went ahead and took their spot too. My wife was on the planning/event committee, and she didn't want to scramble for a last minute band. We also had a teenage girl singer and one guitarist that was playing a set - they were going to use our PA.

I showed up 4 hours before we were supposed to go on, and there were barricades with a county sherriff there. He wouldn't let me past. So I had park in the dropoff point, hitch a ride with a volunteer on a golf-cart (with my gear jammed on it) then walk back to the dropoff point then park my car a few blocks away and walk back.

Get to the stage - we were told it was going to be 16x24. It was 8 x 16. Thank God we're a three piece... wasn't even enough room for us and our lighting truss, so we adapted and it worked pretty well. It was tight on that stage though.

Also noticed that our power requirements are much less than we asked for, and it's 60' feet away from the stage. Ah, long extension cables... so we ran a little less PA and crossed our fingers.

We soundcheck after finishing setting up (the other guys in the band got there at around 9am) and while we're not 100% happy, it works.

Right after soundcheck we find out there's going to be a DJ... ok, we weren't told about it, but that's fine. He also hooks into the power 60' away (I had to loan him a spare extension cord I brought) and he's going to be doing announcements and such. Thankfully he was a cool guy and easy to deal with.

an HOUR before we go on the first time, three guys show up... they are in the band that cancelled. *!* They start planning how they are going to set up, and it's decided that it isn't going to work. Our stage is too small, we didn't bring enough gear to support their band (SEVEN piece band: three guitars, drums, keys, sax, vocals). They wish us a good show and leave after about 30 kinda tense moments.

We play our first set - and when I'm done my wife looks a little unhappy. I ask her what's up, apparently the band came back, and one member bitched out my wife while we were playing. Of course, they left just before we finished. I'm really glad I didn't have a confrontation with him at a charity event and that they did leave, but if I was down there he wouldn't have been talking to my wife like that. If I ever run into the guy we're going to chat about it, and that's all I'm going to say about that.
    [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

We play our second set, having fun, then the teen singer's stage mom and I talk for a few. She decides that our drummer's gear (which barely fits on the stage) needs to be removed. basically she wants us to tear down all our gear. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] We don't. We set her up in front of the stage (outdoors gig) with her TWO guitarists. Yes, we had plenty of room if she had only one guitarist as was stated to us... but there was no place to put a third guy onstage. Stage Mom was pissed, but had to deal with it.

Teen girl does her set, sings along with a few karaeoke tracks where you can still hear the original artist underneath, and on her songs with her band... well, she tried hard. Her and her band were all high school students - one was playing a 12 string that went out of tune badly. (note to outdoor performers: 12 strings hate being played outside: and if you do play one, tune that sucker about 30 seconds before you start playing!)

After Teen Girl's set, Stage Mom comes up to me and the drummer/sound guy... says that she lost a few songs during the setup time, so we should let her play SEVEN songs over our last set. We look at each other, painful silence... then she says "I'll be back later, think about it" like there is anything to decide. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] She ends up not playing those extra 7 songs.

While we're playing our third and final set, Teen Girl has taken over a tent that was being used for auctions and is selling autographed photos and her band demo. At a charity gig. *!* They didn't seem to be selling many, but I wasn't watching it that close. Just seemed kinda unclassy to do. We made sure and didn't bring any merchandise, nor did we announce where we were playing or anything. The gig wasn't about US, it was about keeping the relay members entertained. We tried our best.

Anyways, sorry about the long post... thought some of you might find it interesting. If you do play benefits, keep an open mind be flexible - things are rarely what they seem, and things change a LOT from minute to minute. We still had a good time and it was a great cause.

Pete

Re: Cancer Benefit gig review/cautionary tale ;0

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Pretty sad to hear about people acting that way at a charity event though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Pete

You come across really professional . well done [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      Sorry to here about the shit your wife had to take
      Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

You're a classy dude Pete. I'm not sure i would have had the same amount of "tact". As you said it was for a good cause and at the end of the night did you feel like you did a good thing? I bet you did...
        Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

got any pictures? Sounds like a goood time regardless. You alwasy have to exepect things to not be how you want them to be and just deal with it like you guys did.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah, the drummer's wife took some pictures. There were around 5 to 6 thousand people there, and they raised around $175,000. It was interesting to say the least. :0

Pete

Comment

Did the 7-11 Double Gulp with a lid trick work? [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Adrian
              All hail the 'King'
              R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Congrats, Pete - I don't think I woulda survived the Cop telling me I couldn't park near the place, and I know I would not have made it through the rest of it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You'd think that people would be a little more mature and intelligent at a charity gig [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've seen stuff like this happen at normal gigs, but at charity gigs? Come on... That is terrible. I really admire you and your wife for your patience and professionalism in this situation. And also supporting the American Cancer Society. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

In my brief gigging experience I've had a couple of run-ins similar to this. My personal favorite is when we had extreme metal night at a club, and some 80's pop rock cover band shows up claiming that they were booked to play the same night that we did. So the promoter (who obviously was off his rocker or just very, very high, or even both) tells them that they can go on right in the middle of the four band lineup. My band played second (luckily) so as we're tearing down these 40-something dudes are taking the stage to play to a crowd of rowdy / drunken metalheads. The lead singer starts bitching to me about how there was "no dedicated dressing room" in the club and how he will never book a show here ever again. He goes out on stage wearing a Zoot Suit and they played an hour and fifteen minute set (every other band was playing 40-minute sets). They cleared house. Everyone left other than the dedicated fans to the last two bands and the bands themselves.

The lead singer threw 3 seperate temper tantrums while they were playing complaining about too much lighting in his face, the stage sound being too loud, and not being able to hear himself in the monitors (which was really funny because he was singing "Check" into the mic while one of the guitar players was soloing). To put the icing on the cake, they demanded $100 for their set after they played and the booker (who was now high and drunk) refused. They threatened to sue the club and get them blacklisted with "all the bands that matter in the Pacific Northwest and Canada" and for some odd reason the booker caved and paid them $75! They didn't even stay for the last two bands [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Needless to say the frustrated doorman and bartender decided to basically announce that none of the other bands were getting a cut of the door or bar thanks to the 80's pop rock cover band.

Comment

Wow, that sucks, to both of you! Good to hear that you were able to keep your head together. Goin' after the wife though, that's low! I wouldn't have held on that one. I've taken a lot of shit at gigs (not like that though, Jesus!) and I can handle it okay, but blowing up at the wife/girlfriend, they would have been shot. That's a sour spot for me, especially if she had helped to book me!

A little promotion at a charity gig isn't too bad, like displaying your name or something. Selling merch is a little overboard though.

Where the fuck did her mom get off on telling you to let her play during your time? That's one of the biggest insults to me is the musicians taking up more stage time than they are welcome to. If you want more stage time, coordinate it with the other musicians. It sounds like she was ordering you around when she's not even a performer herself! Asking is fine, expecting a yes is just stupid.

@ Inearthed

Did they kick the 80's poprock band's ass? God knows I woulda fucked with them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      @ Inearthed

Did they kick the 80's poprock band's ass? God knows I woulda fucked with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha... Nah. When they were setting up people were like "huh?" and then after their first song someone yelled "WHAT THE FUCK?" really, really loud, and a lot of people started to laugh. Luckily, most people were in the happy drunk mode, and sorta decided to just leave instead of causing trouble. The rest of the stuff didn't happen until right before they left (while the originally 3rd, now 4th band started to play) so we were unaware of the demands until afterwards when the booker was all out of it and bitching to us about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X