The best anti-virus software-opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best anti-virus software-opinions

Ok, I'm shopping for opinions on anti-virus software.
    I've had McCaffe and Norton/Symantec, there has to be something better. I realize the virus world is always changing, but the thing that used to tee me off about those two (or at least McCaffe) is the fact you have to pay for the lastest antivirus upgrades after a year.

Do you have any alternative suggestions? Changing my ISP to something like AOL or MSN with antivirus is not an option at the moment.
    If there software that gives free upgrades w/o charging after such a short time?

Are some better in your experience/opinion, and do not place a load on system resources or bog the system down moreso than others?

If this has been posted or discussed in depth, please excuse..thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: The best anti-virus software-opinions

lol don't change to AOL for any reason.

I use AVG anti virus software, its free and works like a charm.

Comment

I am a member of the http://www.spywarewarrior.com forums (basically the JCF of the antispyware world) and they are SUPER helpful. Regarding a product better than Norton, I have personally been given this advice:

"I would discard Norton in favor of ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG anti-virus, both of which are free and very easy to use."

The reason why I posted a topic relating to a Norton killer was because Norton tends to be a system resource hog and I was looking for something that does the same or better job without bogging down my computer.

I have a whole crapload of other software suggestions recommended by the warriors and admins on that forum that I haven't got around to downloading and installing yet.

I do advise EVERYBODY on the JCF to join that forum and follow the warrior and admin advice for clearing up the spyware, malware, and other internet dickcheese you didn't even KNOW existed on your computer. You don't want that stuff recording your keystrokes when you're logging into sensitive information like your bank accounts and stuff. There are plenty of viruses and other baddies waiting to jump onto your internet weiner at any given moment and it's best to be prepared.

EDIT: Damn, Mike beat me to the AVG advice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been using AVG for a while now. Recently they made it more difficult to find their free version. Their normal website doesn't show this link, but here is where you get it:

http://free.grisoft.com/
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I use AVG 7.0, and they have a free edition HERE. I liked it so much I bought a licensed version, and the license lasts 2 years. You can find their commercial offerings HERE, if you are interested in going that route.

I hear Avast is a good choice also. They have a free version too.

Hope that helps out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow AVG is popular. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

So popular that I'm FINALLY downloading it now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I should practice what I preach. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Okay, so what happens after the trial period of AVG is over? What features are disabled?

Comment

"I would discard Norton in favor of ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG anti-virus, both of which are free and very easy to use."

I have ZA dl'd for some time now and I'm really happy with it. I prefer it over Kerio but it in itself is not enough, you can still be vulnerable w/o anti-viral software.

"The reason why I posted a topic relating to a Norton killer was because Norton tends to be a system resource hog and I was looking for something that does the same or better job without bogging down my computer."

Exactly why I did not DL Norton again into my new system, it really is noticable. So AVG, here I come to give ya a spin! TY!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  So popular that I'm FINALLY downloading it now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I should practice what I preach. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Okay, so what happens after the trial period of AVG is over? What features are disabled?

[/ QUOTE ]

The free edition has a trial period? It used to be fully free, did something change? I need to check this out. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

not the free, but you can upgrade to what looks like the full version for 30days from the free version and try it for the trail period w/o charge.

Comment

OK my next question to you helpful computer gurus is this...
                      can I run two virus protection programs w/o system/software conflict? and will it maximize my protection or hinder it?

Comment

AVG & ZoneAlarm are great, I've been using both for a long time now with no issues (that I know of anyway). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The CompSci guys in the crowd might have a different opinion on this but I think it's also good & cheap protection to put your PC behind a router. I run a cheapie LynkSys router with ZoneAlarm on my PC and after installing the router the external hits on my PC dropped from a few hundred/day to zero. The script kiddies don't even seem to be hitting the firewall anymore.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The free edition has a trial period? It used to be fully free, did something change? I need to check this out. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The download link that Xeno provided gives me the option to download the full version, and then it dumbs itself down to the free version after a 30 day trial period. Basically what I'm asking is what the differences are between these two versions. No sense in downloading it and keeping it around on my system if it doesn't keep providing certain features I might need or like. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It says on the AVG website FAQ that running two antivirus programs simultaneously is not advised, for whoever asked that question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up charvelguy. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

NOTP - I think the only difference between the free and licensed version is the advanced view and test scheduling/scanning options, at least that was the difference in 6.0. If it is the same then I think those two things would be disabled in the free edition after the trial period.

Comment

I don't like paying for NAV either but I do and haven't had a virus problem on any machine I owned since 1994
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X