Compulsive disorder with my guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compulsive disorder with my guitars

I read somewhere where eic Johnson can tell the difference between the batteries he uses in his pedals.He uses duracell and its what ive always used when possible in both pedals and EMG`s.The way i put on my strings(with the ball end on the headstock)clean my t bars etc.All kinds of little stuff that is a ritual and always has been.Recenty i was tweaking a frenz gtr and when i re strung it,he wanted about 4-5 inches of the small E string hanging from the Headstock.It was his thing he has always done so i knew exactly what he was talking about.I didnt feel like i needed meds then....
    "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Re: Compulsive disorder with my guitars

Yup, we're all dopes in the freakshow [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Duracells have a warmer and cleaner sound, Energizers have a harsher, more metallic sound. Works great for a distortion box but can truly screw a chorus or delay pedal. Plus, even when bypassed, you still hear the coloration.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Diofferent brands of batteries have slightly differing voltages, which DO lead to a slightly different tone... THe question is whether the difference bothers you enough to set yourself on a specific brand, I know people that keep 2 or 3 each of 3 or 4 brands because this one goe in there and these are for that and.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

And your friend probably likes his string with 4-5 inches hanging off the end because he can use the length later if he breaks the string off at the saddle.

Comment

I leave about 1 1/2 inches of the high E hanging from my headstock. No real reason, I just do.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            And your friend probably likes his string with 4-5 inches hanging off the end because he can use the length later if he breaks the string off at the saddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 But I try and tuck it in .. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

There's also guys who insist that the batteries have been used a little....the tone coloration changes as the voltage drops off. Some guys swear batteries have "sweet spots" where this dropoff occurs. I'm not making this shit up....whatever floats their boat man! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

actually, for analog based effects, I would buy that. I used to think about it as I did notice a tonal change and just 'whatever' dismiss it......but having been there on a nightly basis I would tend to agree the tone changing tho in hindsight. I used to think Eric Johnson was a little wacky for saying that, but for some reason, Duracells must have some construction difference about them as they do sound warmer. The only reason why I used Energizers was either availability or because Duracells sometimes came dead as new in the factory sealed package.

Comment

I can only notice a difference with fuzz pedals. Those batteries with a cat on them(Can't remember the name) sound the best to me, esp when they drain a bit. I hate distorions run with an adapter, they always sound too harsh to me.

Comment

The ones with the cat are Eveready by Rayovac (Never-ready [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X