Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you go about writing lyrics for your songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you go about writing lyrics for your songs?

I have some good riffs that I've put together and rehearsing with the band, but my vocalist just kinda sits there. I've asked what she thought of some of the riffs and what she could do with them, but anything that she's brought to me just didn't seem to fit. Maybe I'm too picky. Anything that I think of doesn't seem to fit either.

I really like the Cradle of Filth approach to lyrics, but I couldn't make something even close to that without copying them entirely. I'm not much for involving politics directly in music as System of a Down does and Slayer. Maybe I should try the Iron Maiden way and take some sort of thought and run with it, like "Fear of the Dark". I don't like to bitch and moan about life, I'm nearly against love songs, and the whole comedian approach has never fit black metal.

So far, my band is becoming a decent instrumental group. I feel bad for my vocalist! As soon as we finish the covers on our setlist, her job is pretty much done.

What advice could you offer? More importantly, as the topic implies, what are your methods of writing lyrics?

Thanks for any tips.

Re: How do you go about writing lyrics for your songs?

What "inspired" you to write the riff? What do you picture in your mind when you play the riff? That is the TITLE of the song. Just write around that. If you picture say a hell hound, then write about how bad ass that hell hound is, or how evil he is, or how cudly he is (if your riff heads that direction).

Hope this helps.

I'm not a song writer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: How do you go about writing lyrics for your so

I get drunk, angry and depressed!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

H.P Lovecraft

Comment

I Inhale as hard as possible, hold the mic in front of my mouth and just scream/growl as hard as possible, throwing some random 'fuuuuuuucks' and 'motherfuckeeeeers' in there.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
          X