Need some job advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some job advice

Alrighty, I've been working @ Super K unfortunatly since Nov. of 2002.

I get paid a shitty pay of 7.53 a hour and I run pretty much the whole floor.

Toys, Sports, Layaway, Auto, Do it your self, Furniture.

They really cut hours so I'm usually alone, or stuck with this old guy who only works Sporting Goods.

Managers don't know layaway or selling fishing liscenses or mixing paint. The burden is always on me.

I find out that there are people who do less (cashiers) and get paid 3 fucking cents more than me because the minimum wage laws have been raised from 6.50 to 7.00 dollars, i'm still fucking wondering where the extra 55 cents is coming in.

I'm going to go talk to the boss, but I don't know how to approach it, like by saying I hear these newer people are paid more and don't cover everything while I get everything.

I sent in a application to move to grocery (wooping 25 cents+) so hopefully they will consider giving me a raise. I don't really want to move to grocery, but this seems like a good plan. I would probably deny them for a 25 cent raise to stay, maybe a 45 cent or 50. I will see.

Maybe I'll just quit, They can't do shit w/o me there, and the other useful guy @ night is on vacation.

I found out that minimum wage is 6.50 and these newbiews are getting 7.55, where is the extra 1.05 comming from?

I'm so irrated with this I may just stop going, or wait for a day with no one but me working the floor just so they go so fucked over it won't even be funny.

Re: Need some job advice

Hell, here in Oklahoma min. wage is still $5.15...As a hotel manager, I make a good salary, but a lot of my employees don't. I don't see how they make it. Anyhow, back to your post (sorry)...DO NOT demand a raise, that pisses off bosses (trust me LOL), but instead focus on the POSITIVES you bring to the company. Say something like, you know, I've been here awhile and (fill in these blanks with stuff YOU do)...
    Honestly, you shouldn't know what other employees make. That's confidential. Should they make more than you?? NO...but for some reason they do, and trust me, no one meant for you to figure that out.
    Just stay on the pos. side, and mention what all you do/have done. Some people don't realize it unless they are shown.
    Mention that you are considering moving to grocery for more $, maybe they will want you to stay where you are MORE and give you the raise.
    Most of all, be honest, and give them enough reasons to give you the raise.
    JMO..
    Jeri

Comment

Ya i guess I shouldn't put the wage thing in, but if i say i want to move to grocery he could just halt my application for it.

The store boss is a big Sally, he won't go to workers that are standing around, he would tell one of the managers that they aren't doing anything and to do action.

I'm pretty good friends with one of the grocery managers so I pleded that he picked me, I'm going to talk to him again.

I'm really irrated

I went to go take my break @ 8:00 p.m

I didn't get to go til 8:35 because 3 people went to layaway (no one to cover) then rain checks then fishing liscense.

I was ready to walk out because its near Impossible to take a break or lunch at the POs store and I was so damn irrated.

I may try to get a job @ the LOCAL guitar shope in libertyville which isn't too far from me.

Comment

Just go to work somewhere else, apply other places and make your 'requested salary' known up front.

Employers typically suck and don't value long term employees anymore, unless it's a mom 'n pop operation.

DON'T quit until you find another job, but you should be able to get an assistant manager position or some kind of lead thing for more money.

The only way up is out nowadays I'm afraid.

If you do apply internally, JB is right, son't mention other people's pay, just act like you want 'more responsibility, more opportunities, etc. they know that means more pay.

I think it's pretty jacked that employers give out 3% raises year after year, then new employees come in making more than a 3 year vet, and you're 'not supposed' to figure it out. Then it takes another 3 years for the employer to get you back on track?!!??

I would have never said this before the last couple of years, but two years is the most you should stay at a job. Sad but true. Job jumping truly pays as lame as it is.
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Good points too 442w30. The job market in general just sucks anymore.

Comment

Thanks,

do you think the "I need more money for college thing will work?" [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Thanks,

do you think the "I need more money for college thing will work?" [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yes. And don't be afraid to leave your job if you have to. You can bet your ass Super K has no loyalty to you. Just make sure that you have someplace else to work first.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                And don't be afraid to leave your job if you have to. Just make sure that you have someplace else to work first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are wise words.

I've been burned by not heeding that advice before. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Yes. And don't be afraid to leave your job if you have to. You can bet your ass Super K has no loyalty to you. Just make sure that you have someplace else to work first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace has it in a nutshell. There's nothing wrong with bettering yourself, even if you may hurt others feelings (unless it's malicious). Everyone moves on in life regardless of the situation. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Working...
                  X