Handguns...a new hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handguns...a new hobby?

My brother and I are thinking about purchasing a handgun for ourselves. Just to take to the shooting range here in Montana.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-ms.shtml

I'm kinda interested in getting that one. I've heard good things, and the price isn't too bad. And it might be comforting to own when I move to an unfamiliar place (Las Vegas).

Any opinions on some other good handguns would be? Beretta, HK, Sig?

the only brand I don't want anything to do with is glock really. Just because...they're ugly.

Re: Handguns...a new hobby?

Damn, I wish it was easier to get handguns here in Canada. There are a few I wouldn't mind getting my hands on, mostly classics like a Browning High Power, or Beretta 92. I also really like some newer stuff like the Steyr M1 9mm.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I own quite a few and my favorites have always been my H&K USP .40 and my Sig Sauer P228 .9mm, P229 .40, and P220 .45. I also own a Beretta 92 FS and a shitload of customized 1911's from Wilson Combat, Les Baer, and Kimber's Custom 1911. Can't really go wrong with any of these. Good luck in your search.
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

I'm an anti-handgun and assult rifle person myself, how unamerican is that!
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'm an anti-handgun and assult rifle person myself, how unamerican is that!

[/ QUOTE ]

You should move to Canada. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The 1911 is cool, but would get pricey to shoot a lot.

I'd look to a 9mm that appeals to you more. They are cheap to shoot, and easy on the wrist. Lotsa cool units to pick from. As mentioned by others, I like the Sigs, Old Browning High Power (feels nice), the Beretta 92 as well.

CZ makes a nice shooting Browning HP knock off, CZ75 series, that is easy to get and not too bad of a piece for a Czech manufacturer. The CZ75BD is cool, as is the CZ75D Compact.

Comment

Funny because I am getting into guns myself strictly for the fun of it, going to the range and stuff. I don't even keep ammo on the house.

I bought a used Beretta 380 Cheetah from a friend. Very close to a 9mm but a little cheaper on ammo and slightly smaller gun.
              I would recommend going to the range and rent a few guns, get the feel of them and decide what you like best.

Men tend to follow (myself included) the testosterone path and go for the larger, meanest biggest caliber weapon there might be.
              My friend owns quite a few guns and I realized how expensive it can get (ammo) and at the end of a 1 to 1-1/2 hr range drive, yuor hand WILL hurt if you keep shooting the big stuff.
              To be honest, he had a .22 caliber automatic that I had a lot of fun shooting. Less of a kick, cheap ammo and basically got off my willies by still shooting at the targets.
              Try as many weapons as you can, feel the grip and think how it will feels after shooting 80 rounds off of it.

Good luck.
              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I think it all depends on your shooting needs. Do you just want to go to the range and have fun or are you gearing up for self defense? My wife and I go to the range a lot and she likes her 92FS compact (Beretta). I have a Glock 21 .45 ACP., and we easily go through 400 rounds each in an afternoon of shooting. We like to keep our skills honed while having fun, but we live in the Meth captol of the world! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .....we like to be prepared!
                We also have some other guns that are fun to shoot....but I wouldn't want to depend on them in an emergency!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

For me European, this thread is scary... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I like revolvers. Give me a Python, Anaconda any day. Unless you have Desert Eagle.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I got guns all over the place...they are cool....I like them very much....the bigger the better.....I want a S & W 500 ...that is the biggest handgun ever....I have big guns...but this one is bigger....so I want it..

the end.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I got guns all over the place...they are cool....I like them very much....the bigger the better.....I want a S & W 500 ...that is the biggest handgun ever....I have big guns...but this one is bigger....so I want it..

the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't dare argue with that!
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

yes , I had the desert Eagles , The annacondas , The classic hunters...

I shot the 50 cals , The 454 Casulls...the Raging Bulls..

nothing compared to this s & w 500 sucka..

I'm going to have one soon..BUT everytime that gun goes "boom"..it cost about a buck fitty.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW...I'm a hell of a shot! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

haha the .454. I took a look at one of those at the local sporting goods store.

that thing is comically big. Reminds me of the gun freak in the police academy movies. I laughed my ass off while I was holding it. I've never shot them but I really like the feel of those HK USP and the 1911. There was a WAlther I checked out once upon a time as well that was really nice.

We wouldn't be out at the range every day..maybe once every 2 weeks. So the price of ammo won't be too horrid.

I shoot a rifle really well...like rifle club Distinguished Expert well. boo yah. We have a 25 06 rifle that destroys everythign you aim it at. It's rare that we miss our targets.

Comment

Drip Dude that 500 Smith dwarfs the Raging Bull..

I'm not kiddin'..

it has about two and a half the velocity of a full load 44 Mag...with a 300 grain bullet , I believe...that'll put ya down....and stay down! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

I want one...I want to shoot someone with that thing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll make sure that person sucks ass...I'm not going to shoot a nice guy...that wouldn't be right.

Comment

Working...
                              X