More computer trouble - USB ports evaporated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More computer trouble - USB ports evaporated

Ok, I have 8 USB ports on my current PC - 2 in front and 6 in back.

The two in front and 2 of the ones in the back are those "optional" type that plug into the motherboard, and the remaining 4 are built into the board itself. They're USB 2.0 compliant and came with the board.

They've been working fine until yesterday when I took my Lexmark PenDrive out of my PS2 and put it in one of the USB ports. It worked fine at first - I downloaded a file onto it (PS2 Codebreaker Day1 cheat file which is all I use it for) but the PS2 crashed after I loaded it. Figuring it was the wrong version, I downloaded the other version of the file and while saving it (same name as the first file) I renamed the first one in the Explorer/Save Dialog window, and my USB ports blew out except for my printer and wireless modem.

The only things on my other USB ports are a scanner that hasn't been used in months and an external hard drive conversion thingy that worked just fine until then. Now when I plug anything into any port, I get a USB Device Not Recognized error. Those items won't read in any port (even the ones the printer and modem are in), but I can put the printer in any port and they work just fine.
    I can connect the USB hard drive to my laptop and it runs fine (I even get an error stating the laptop's USB ports are 1.x and the drive is 2.0 and the performance will be reduced) so I know those are not the problem. The only thing that cannot work with both computers is the PenDrive.

Obviously the file I downloaded may have been the culprit, but then shouldn't it affect all my USB ports? If it only affects the board-mounted ports (which is where I had the PenDrive when it blew), then nothing I plug into those ports should work, right?

I've been through Windows Update and looked for mobo drivers, but those don't appear to be the problem.
    I've tried hot-swapping, cold-swapping, restarting, uninstalling, rolling back, etc etc etc and still can't get more than 3 USB items to work.

I even bought a 4-port external USB hub (plugs into a USB port and gives me 4 slots) and that doesn't work with anything but the printer, scanner, and modem.

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: More computer trouble - USB ports evaporated

I think it's time for an upgrade.Your mobo is hosed.

Comment

also tried resetting bios?

Comment

In some bios' there is an option to reset hardware config data,try that if you have the option.If you don't have that option try turning off the USB ports in the BIOS then re-enabling them on a restart,hopefully they get recognized after that.

Comment

EIDT: okay, that was a bit mean spirited of me. i retract, but remember your numerous pc woes next time you take a shot at a mac. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Try a powered USB hub. You'll get the "device not recognized" error if the USB device isn't getting enough power.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

My USB ports quit on one of my machines once. The only way I could get them working again was by flashing the bios. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver first.

EJ

Comment

FYI Newc, flashing the BIOS does not involve a trench coat. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim - Well that explains why that didn't work [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

I do have a powered USB port (4-port thingy) but still get the error with or without powering it.

Haven't tried flashing the BIOS yet, but I did poke through it looking for the USB settings - hafta check again.

XP says there's no driver installed for them, and therefore won't let me uninstall a driver, however if I select Upgrade the driver (and check the Include Windows Update box) it says that it can't find one that is better than what I'm using [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I have nothing, but apparently nothing is better than the nothingness I already have - my PC has achieved a Zen State [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll try flashing it when I get in from work - been on day shift all week and it sucks. It is a violation of Galactic Law for me to be awake before noon. It's worse when I have to actually leave the house. It's still worse when I have to be around people. And it's an absolute Interstellar No-No for me to do anything considered "work" before then [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Have you recently opened up your tower and Air-Blasted the dust out of it? Not that dust coud be the problem.. however you might have freeze dried the chip on the board. It happened to me pal lost my USB ports.

Comment

Working...
                    X