Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk about getting a song stuck in your head....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about getting a song stuck in your head....

Inventor Creates Soundless Sound System

By TYPH TUCKER
    Associated Press Writer
    Published April 22, 2005, 10:30 AM CDT

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Elwood "Woody" Norris pointed a metal frequency emitter at one of perhaps 30 people who had come to see his invention. The emitter -- an aluminum square -- was hooked up by a wire to a CD player. Norris switched on the CD player.

"There's no speaker, but when I point this pad at you, you will hear the waterfall," said the 63-year-old Californian.

And one by one, each person in the audience did, and smiled widely.

Norris' HyperSonic Sound system has won him an award coveted by inventors -- the $500,000 annual Lemelson-MIT Prize. It works by sending a focused beam of sound above the range of human hearing. When it lands on you, it seems like sound is coming from inside your head.

Norris said the uses for the technology could come in handy -- in cars, in the airport or at home.

"Imagine your wife wants to watch television and you want to read a book, like the intellectual you are," he said to the crowd. "Imagine you are a lifeguard or a coach and you want to yell at someone, he'll be the only one to hear you."

Norris holds 47 U.S. patents, including one for a digital handheld recorder and another for a handsfree headset. He said the digital recorder made him an inventor for life.

"That sold for $5 million," Norris laughed. "That really made me want to be an inventor."

He demonstrated the sound system at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, also called OMSI, on Thursday.

Norris began tinkering as an inventor at a young age -- taking apart the family radio and putting it back together again. He said ideas come to him when he's driving around or talking with friends.

"I don't know how I got to be an inventor, but I guess some kids can play the piano, and I can invent."

Norris will receive the Lemelson-MIT Prize at a ceremony here on Friday.

One of his most recent patents is for the AirScooter, a personal flying machine designed for commuting. It reaches speeds up to 55 mph and is light enough -- under 300 pounds -- to not require a license to fly.

The AirScooter was also on display at OMSI, although Norris didn't fly it.

The machine has a single seat, a four-stroke engine and is barely 10 feet tall. Its pontoons allow it to land on water. The machine's fiberglass and aluminum construction keeps its weight down. Bike-style handle bars move two helicopter blades, which spin in opposite directions.

Norris' AirScooter was shown on "60 Minutes" last Sunday. He said since the airing of the show, more than 7 million people have visited the AirScooter's Web site.

Norris said he and his crew have tested the AirScooter for four years, and he couldn't have created the machine without a skilled group of aeronautics engineers around him.

* __

On the Net:

AirScooter: http://www.airscooter.com

Popular Science article: http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/article/0,16106,388134,00.html
    Occupy JCF

Re: Talk about getting a song stuck in your head..

Wow that's crazy. Now when someone says they're hearing voices they might not be just nuts after all...It's a conspiracy I tell you!

Comment

LOL Is that why I have these voices in my head? Should I listen to them?!?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow. You could really torture someone with that, just keep pointing it at them. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow I am scared
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I heard of this before. There's also another technique: aimed sound.

They had 4 guys sitting in a car, all with a directional soundspeaker above there heads. And when they moved the mic to each guy's head, you heard different music blasting full -on, but only directly under the speaker.

Another cool technique is anti-sound, with which you can neutralize soundwaves by emitting the exact opposite wave, creating perfect silence.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Worst idea ever. I can't wait until people start misusing it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Another cool technique is anti-sound, with which you can neutralize soundwaves by emitting the exact opposite wave, creating perfect silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what they do with those Bose Quiet Comfort headphones which analyze the incoming sound and then silence those waves.

Comment

Re: Talk about getting a song stuck in your head....

[ QUOTE ]
                  Popular Science article: http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/article/0,16106,388134,00.html

[/ QUOTE ]

corrected link to Pop Sci article

(JCF won't allow commas in direct links, Tekky) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Wow. You could really torture someone with that, just keep pointing it at them. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    that was the first thing I thought of too. It'll be a raging success, once the military takes out a contrct to develop the technology. I wonder what damage you could do with it.

And remember those dickheads that turn up to concerts/conventions/other public gatherings with their "hilarious" laser pointers? Just wait until they get their hands on these! Imagine playing a show and trying to remember what you're doing while someone projects ABBA into your head. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Lol, the title made me remember something that I'll probably never forget...
                      Growing-up in the Big Eighties and witnessing the birth of MTV was pretty cool..One day when I was delivering newspapers (I was like 13), I was thinking about the DEVO version of the Rolling Stone's "Satisfaction". There is a line in that song where it says "Baby Baby Baby Baby Baby Baby, etc"...It got stuck in my head and I couldn't stop thinking about it for like 3 hours...I thought it was going to be stuck there FOREVER and I would honest-to-God soon after go insane...It scared me s##tless!

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                      Dan

Comment

So, you could point that thing at some hot chick with the message "You must have sex with him" over and over? That would be just wrong >>>>>>
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                        X