Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The f*#@ing postal service

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

So I roll into my local post offce today with a couple of guitars to ship out. Packed & addressed just like the hundreds of others I've shipped over the years:

<font face="courier">
    -------------
    ||
    |Address|
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    -------------
    </font>

Headstock up, body down, marked "Fragile" and "This side up". I always place the address this way because I figure if they have to hold the package that way to read it (when it's not on the conveyers) there's a far better chance they'll actually ship it that way. This had always been fine ... until today.

"You can't have the addresses on there like that," said the USPS counter monkey who's shipped probably 10 guitars for me in the past year with addresses on there precisely like that.

"Why not?"

"Because whichever direction the address reads is the length and we measure that then wrap the tape the other way to measure girth. The way you have the address on there will make the measurement of your box huge and you'll have to pay over $100 to ship it."

"This is a new rule?"

"No it's always been this way."

"You, personally, have shipped 10 or so guitars for me, all addressed precisely in this manner and never once mentioned this. The gentleman on your right has shipped a similar number, all addressed this way, and has never mentioned this; the woman on your left has shipped a similar number, all addressed this way, and has never mentioned this."

"That can't be! I wouldn't have taken the packags! None of us would have taken them like that!"

"Did you have a training class recently?"

"No, this is just how it has always been."

"That larger box was shipped here then later shipped back to me. Shall we peel my address label off so you can see one that you accepted & shipped without complaint?"

"That won't be necessary."

"Fuck that. I'll take them to UPS across the street. It'll be a lot faster than driving home, ripping these labels off, printing new ones, and coming back here."

"You don't need to take those off, just write the address on lengthwise with a marker, those can be there as well."

"Which way will the packages sit when shipped?"

"Just as you've marked them."

"Then why can't the address be written on the box in the direction that'll be most convenient for you to read?"

<looking helpless>"I don't know, it's just the rule."

Fuck the government, fuck the postal service, fuck them right in the ass. Damn but they're the most fucking obnoxious and annoying assholes I've ever met. It's not that I mind the rule change or the fact that they discovered it or were told about it recently but to fucking act like they've always done it that way when that's not the case is just ... fucking annoying.

OK, I'm done.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: The f*#@ing postal service

i agree, they just recently "lost" the rack i bought from nor. i'm positive it was stolen. bastards.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Luckily I noticed on the way home that my neighborhood liquor store is going out of business & blowing everything out @ 50% off or I'd be really annoyed.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I got a package they wouldn't ship because Canada wasn't in all caps. Said it was 'homeland security rule'.

Went home, made a new label, went to another PO and they said that guy was full of Sh!t.

USPS, gotta love em!
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I had a counter chick tell me once that I couldn't ship a package to Sweden because the total dimension was over 70". I asked her to show me the manual on that, she did & I pointed out that she was wrong. She's not griped at me about anything since.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I had a counter chick tell me once that I couldn't ship a package to Sweden because the total dimension was over 70". I asked her to show me the manual on that, she did & I pointed out that she was wrong. She's not griped at me about anything since.

[/ QUOTE ]
            I had the exact same thing happen, but didn't think to ask to see the manual. (I just went to a different post office and they shipped it off without any complaints)

Comment

Hahahahaha!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Wait..............

Comment

We have an automated post office here in Oregon and they say its waaaaay more efficient with less problems. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] Guess what? It sh!ts itself on April 15th and everyone gets their taxes out late. Wonder if th postal service is gonna take the blame and pay all those fines? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I hate shipping anything postal. Lack of actual tracking, and I've had a few things that didn't make it to the delivery address on time. When I called the post office to ask about em, I was told each time "we have to wait 2 weeks before we can start looking into it." SCREW THAT!

I know in some cases it might be cheaper to ship postal, but I like going on fedex or UPS websites and seeing where the hell my package(s) are. Plus every time I'm in the post office the counter folk are fucking goons or old ladies, and they all move/work like they are zombies in a dawn of the dead sequel.

Pete

Comment

im on probation because of those nosey bastards............. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

It sucks and this is why you will have to find better Post office and right people to deal with.
                      The same goes with any others such as DHL , UPS, Fedex.
                      Once you find good people to take care of your stuff, stick with them and don't even bother to go any other places.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        im on probation because of those nosey bastards............. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do tell!

(Only if it's interesting) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

He's on probation for mailing me 500 boxes of Psuedophedrine, 12 case pack of Ether starting fluid, 20 bottles of Heet, and a couple of casepacks of widemouth canning jars...and some camping fuel.

Fucking USPS asked me a lot of questions upon receiving...

Comment

I can list my recent complaints, but will just mention ONE deal I had problems with.

I had to ship Jani a King V. I bring it to a packing/shipping outlet a few towns away. I pay and all is good, until the folowing Monday. I get a call from the manager stating the guitar is oversized (70" max) and the USPS dude refused to take the package. So I had to drive all the way back and get it. I bring it to a nearby post office (South Paris ME) and they tell me the same thing. I go home with the package.

I did some research and figured out that the problem was for some reason these bone heads look up shipping limitations for envolope class shipping. The lazy employees theory is that envolope and package selections are one in the same, they are not. So having them go into packages, they find the shipping option for items over 70".

Ok, fine, all is good. I bring it to a new local packer/shipper that opened up in the area. I teach him how to get to the over 70" option because the post office wont listen to me. Cool. We are in business, I pay, the guitar goes.

A week and a half later I get a call from my post office. I have a PO box I rarely use and check it once a week or so. They tell me my guitar from Finland has been sitting there and I have to come get it because it is in the way. I almost lost it! I go in and asked them why it was returned. The post office the shipper used forgot to post mark the box and it was turned around in transit and returned to my return address, the PO Box. Okay, so I ask them to please post mark it and process this thing once and for all. I am informed that only the post office that took the money and generated the postage sticker can post mark it, no other branch can. So I ask for them to transfer the box to the post office that messed up, and I am informed I will have to pay postage across town to have that done. So, I had to travel back to the PO that screwed up to have it dealt with. Luckily my PO called and told them I was coming. The postmaster came out of his office to apologize. But it was total bullshit I went through just to get that guitar out to Finland.

Comment

I've had good luck with USPS so far, I've sent lots of stuff through them and not a problem yet........

Comment

Working...
                              X