Techies....do you hate Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techies....do you hate Microsoft?

I know "someone" that works at Microsoft, he is getting bummed about the non-stop bashing his employer gets at the hands of the media. What do you guys think?

Re: Techies....do you hate Microsoft?

There is a lot to hate, but I don't. Sure, from time to time I've cursed Bill's name, but he can afford to live with whatever curses I can hurl toward him.

Very general, but that is my two cents. I don't think any rational person should be concerned with what the media has to say. Now if your buddy was bummed out because "everyone" hated Microsoft, then that would be another thing...

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I used to work at Microsoft. The thing that bummed me out the most was relatives/friends calling me at night...after I got home from a long day at work, half way through a spliff, and chilling to some tunes...and asking me to help fix, over the phone and sight unseen, whatever was ailing their PC at the moment. Major buzz kill!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Oh, and your friend shouldn't take it so seriously. The media always likes to try take down the big dogs. If Jennifer Aniston can handle it, then he/she can handle it.

Comment

I don't hate Microsoft. If you know how to properly use your computer, you shouldn't have any issues with your operating system.

I hate spyware / adware / spam mail companies / people though. I also really hate those banner ads that people create that fill up your entire browser window.

Comment

I'm a Dot Net developer in Boston. Microsoft pays the bills for me and It is definitely is a better environment to work in than Java. So I have a love/hate relationship with them. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The thing that bummed me out the most was relatives/friends calling me at night...after I got home from a long day at work, half way through a spliff, and chilling to some tunes...and asking me to help fix, over the phone and sight unseen, whatever was ailing their PC at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in case you didn't know this, they do that to all of us that worked / work with computers. Your family, I mean - please tell them to stop calling me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

It never ends. I've been a Network Engineer/Admin for over 8 years and I've had 8 years of friends and family calling me to fix their stuff.

Microsoft has gotten a lot better over the years, I never want to go back to the Dos clients and Lanman servers! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I'm a PC tech with several certs and field experience.
                  So, here it goes. This may get alittle long and my apologies in advance.

Bill's problem isn't the product he provides.
                  Bill provides a somewhat decent OS(2000 and XP)if users wouldn't fiddle and make a mess of it.
                  His problem is how he offer/sells it.
                  To the home user whether he or she own one or networks several PC's together, won't have this concern.
                  As well, builders won't have this concern either.

Businesses are the ones that are effect.
                  More so these days than before, companies/businesses are looking for more affordable options. Microsoft does offer some nice perks/deals to their clients(businesses), unfortunately many aren't too impressed anymore.

Why? There are other reliable OS's that have proven to be cheaper(this speaks volumes to CEO's, excectives and etc), just as easy to manage, has the same look and feel, (office workers won't experience a learning curve), just as stable and reliable.

Businesses, are and have been for a few years now going the opensource route, because it offers all the above. In other words, the same type of service, stability and management but MUCH CHEAPER. Opensource has no activation issues because opensource doesn't care what you do with your PC/software.

This is only just a small part of Bill's concerns.
                  Bill is trying to buy out all the smaller potatoes so he can gobble up the majority of the smaller oem market and etc.

What does this all mean?
                  The IT field is redefining itself and before its all over.
                  There will be two main markets(propprietary and nonpropietary/opensource)as we are seeing already.
                  Competition is always a plus to the user and business alike.
                  Microsoft doesn't want to share it and its being forced to do so because of its costs/offerings to buisness. They can't compete with opensource on this scale.

Software is mainly geared toward microsoft and rightly so.
                  Microsoft is the big dog and will for the most part remain top dog. However, software companies are looking into opensource solutions. As more and more continue to do so, others will eventually follow.

Ultimately, regardless of the solution or OS of choice.
                  Users usually about 65%-70% of the problem meaning they will make a mess of it.
                  Doing setups and installations of hardware and software daily for an IP. This is where most of our calls are related.

A real problem:
                  Is the spyware, adware, pop ups and etc.
                  I must say based on experience with both OS's Microsofts and Opensource, opensource doesn't have the concerns with such.
                  It has nothing to do with how people view it as small potatoes. Its how the file system is structured. Mac or OS X is opensource too. Its a real problem with mircosoft and our micrsoft clients are having problems with such(adware, spyware)

Most microsoft client/users aren't getting informed.
                  Never ever with a microsoft PC go online without a antivirus, adware and spyware removal programs.
                  I have sent more PC's to the shop and reparied many myself because of adware and spyware build up. Get these programs and run them weekly and keep them updated frequently. There are exploits coming out everyday and the user/client will not be protected otherwise. There are amny that will and have said, "I go online and don't get viruses and etc".
                  My response, your lucky and your luck will run out. If you value your business and if that business runs microsofts OS's, don't chance it. With a microsoft OS, its like having sex without some type of protection, you will eventually get knocked up or get infected. Reduce those chances by being informed and knowing your options.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Microsoft DOES suck.
                    It's products have reached a high point in usability and are now the biggest target. Unless there is a radical shift inside MS, they will continue to grow and shrink in cycles like other companies that are intitutions that reinvent themselves frequently.

MS has painted themselves into some corners and may or may not be able to get out of them.

Open Source products can be viable alternatives and surely will eventually overtake MS. The thing MS can add is service and support.

Novell learned this lesson, IBM learned this lesson, Sun is learning, MS has the most to lose because they own the market today, but if they play it right, they can dominate in the new arena.

Code is so big now that it will/is starting to be unprofitable to build and maintain your own products from scratch.

I work for another monster company people love to hate, I like what I do and can't control what they do. When people complain about the company I typically agree, but I do point out that the company fills a niche that a lot of people want filled, so it takes care of itself democratically so to speak.

When people quit buying computers loaded with windows and MS Office then MS will take notice, but it's still profitable, and they will continue to do things that are distasteful to the vocal minority.

Europeans scoff Americans partially because of their success. If we were economically like guatamala, they wouldn't take the time to make fun of our politics or 'ugliness' but we are everywhere. The dominant force, the biggest target of ridicule.

So MS sux, Viva MS
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

All you guys just wish you invented what Bill Invented.
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Damn Straight! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'da bought Jackson and FMIC, then Roland, Marshall, Pearl, Zildjan, Peavey, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Judas Priest, Mr. Les Paul himself and Hugh Heffner.

And all you guys could come over.

And MC Hammer too! That guy knows how to make his friends happy.

Then I'd make them all play my juvenile songs and do wierd poses endorsing my own guitar designs.

After that, I'd invent a sandwich that had my likeness burned into the bun. I'd put my 'special sauce' all in it and people would be addicted cause it'd have red bull and nicotene with mayo and horseradish. And I'd buy the FDA to get it licensed as a blood pressure medication.

Then me and Bono would run the world bank.

Yup, I wish I'd invented an OS.....
                        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I never stated I didn't like Billy and never stated his OS is bad. I think anybody with any sense would like to be Billy, since he's the richest man in the world, that would be a no brainer.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Just in case you didn't know this, they do that to all of us that worked / work with computers. Your family, I mean - please tell them to stop calling me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keith/John, believe me I know that ANYONE that works with computers has to suffer through this. It's an ongoing rite of passage for anyone working in high tech. It was when I started working at Microsoft that it kicked into high gear. "Honey, our computer's foobar...who was that dude we met at the party that works for Microsoft?"

Anyway, here's some classics...

My Dad: "This goddamn Internet is broken! Can you fix it?"

My sister: "I accidentally deleted an important file. Do you know where it went? Can you make it come back."

Visiting the in-laws over Thanksgiving or Xmas: I know I'm going to burn a few hours getting rid of viruses and spyware.

Although I'm poking fun at them, I really can't blame them. The PC (including the Mac) is the most frustrating consumer device ever developed. Any other product that generated as much frustration as the PC would have had a very short shelf life. JMO.

Comment

I'm an MCSE and I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love their operating systems (Windows), but I generally hate their applications. For example, Office apps seem to have a mind of their own and want to "nanny" the user too much. For some genuine cruel and unusual punishment, play around with Group Policy Objects in a corporate environment sometime.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X