We need a UNIX Admin at the Department of Labor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a UNIX Admin at the Department of Labor

We're trying to fill this position ASAP, since we run the risk of it being stricken from the contract if our contracting company doesn't get someone in here soon. So, I'm posting this everywhere I hang out on the 'net, hoping someone is looking for a job. Please e-mail me a Word copy of your resume if you're interested, [email protected].

[ QUOTE ]
    Job Description:

As the lead technical administrator for the entire OWS network, tasking and directing subordinates in day-to-day technical administration of the OWS network.

Performs system administration activities for the OWS network, including system monitoring and performance enhancement, writing back-up procedures for off-peak hours, providing user support, and performing general troubleshooting to isolate and resolve system problems. Maintains, enhances, and monitors the security of the OWS network and its components. Installs, updates, and modifies system software and applications packages on the computer systems to ensure seamless integration into the OWS automation environment. Maintains, updates, and enhances technical and procedural documentation. Provides technical advice for OWS Hardware and software purchases, including study and analysis of various alternative products and technologies, investigation of vendor sources and technical specifications, and the testing and demonstration of equipment and software.

Specific Requirements:

· Exceptional degree of knowledge in the network and systems administration area.

· Experience preparing feasibility studies, or cost-benefit analyses, functional requirements documents, designing, developing, configuring and deployment of UNIX/NT servers under UNIX/NT-based environment.

· Demonstrated expertise in managing a networked, multi-CPU, Unix-based computer system.

· Demonstrated experience in performing System Administration activities using UNIX Sun Solaris 2.x Servers.

· Substantial experience in administering invasive and non-invasive approaches to system security including intrusion detection tools, network port scanners, vulnerability detection tools, password crackers, TCP wrappers, and other security management tools. Experience must include UNIX/NT systems as well as Network Security.

· Experience in the development of comprehensive failure contingency of operations and disaster recovery plans. Performs sizing and capacity planning for the hardware systems.

· Working knowledge of Software Engineering Institute’s Capability Maturity Model or ISO 9000 documentation and life-cycle policies.

· Substantial experience using C/Bourne/Korn shell scripts in a Unix environment.

· Demonstrated experience in Web Server Architecture and an understanding of a variety of Web browsers.

· Exposure in the design and development within a Web environment using HTML, JavaScript or Java, and Perl.

· Demonstrated experience providing support in a WAN environment.

· Hands-on experience with UNIX/NT services. Internet servers, system administration tools, and backup/recovery mechanisms.

· Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to develop and present comprehensive technical presentations.

· Capable of generating finished technical documentation using word processing software (e.g., MS-Word, WordPerfect).

· Familiar with operating in a LAN environment using Windows 95-98, NT, 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: We need a UNIX Admin at the Department of Labor

Post it on www.ITworld.com
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Specific Requirements:

· Exceptional degree of knowledge in the network and systems administration area. - Exceptional Pay not included.

· Experience preparing feasibility studies, or cost-benefit analyses, functional requirements documents, designing, developing, configuring and deployment of UNIX/NT servers under UNIX/NT-based environment. - To help Management understand why it costs more than a new Dell system.

· Demonstrated expertise in managing a networked, multi-CPU, Unix-based computer system. - Because we sure as hell can't.

· Demonstrated experience in performing System Administration activities using UNIX Sun Solaris 2.x Servers. - Because we sure as hell can't.

· Substantial experience in administering invasive and non-invasive approaches to system security including intrusion detection tools, network port scanners, vulnerability detection tools, password crackers, TCP wrappers, and other security management tools. Experience must include UNIX/NT systems as well as Network Security.
      - Because these are the latest industry buzzwords.

· Experience in the development of comprehensive failure contingency of operations and disaster recovery plans. Performs sizing and capacity planning for the hardware systems. - Because these are also industry buzzwords.

· Working knowledge of Software Engineering Institute’s Capability Maturity Model or ISO 9000 documentation and life-cycle policies.
      - So that when the ISO Auditors come, they can spend all day with you instead of us.

· Substantial experience using C/Bourne/Korn shell scripts in a Unix environment. - Because we read about those in a magazine on an airplane.

· Demonstrated experience in Web Server Architecture and an understanding of a variety of Web browsers. - Because we're 1337 and want to appear anti-Microsoft like all the 1337 ppl.

· Exposure in the design and development within a Web environment using HTML, JavaScript or Java, and Perl. - Because "Web Environment" is one of the best industry buzzwords. Ever.

· Demonstrated experience providing support in a WAN environment. - So that when something as simple as connecting to the WAN cannot be done by our overpaid underachievers, we have someone to call instead of a 13 year old.

· Hands-on experience with UNIX/NT services. Internet servers, system administration tools, and backup/recovery mechanisms. - Because we screw up. A lot.

· Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to develop and present comprehensive technical presentations.
      - Read: The ability to dumb it down for the Manager who approves the purchase of new equipment.

· Capable of generating finished technical documentation using word processing software (e.g., MS-Word, WordPerfect). - Because despite the best efforts of technology to ease the clearcutting and junkie-like dependency on paper by creating digital documentation, nothing is as impressive as an overstuffed leather-bound compendium sitting on a shelf that no one will ever read.

· Familiar with operating in a LAN environment using Windows 95-98, NT, 2000. - So we can PM, IM, CUCME, Text, and otherwise pass non-critical notes between cubicles without getting up from our chairs or being caught by Frau Blucher, of the Office Monitor Ghestappo.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

reminds me of my current job....

Before I popped up a Merak mailserver for my computer, we had ONE AOL account, where the boss would use the aol.exe, and everyone else would use webmail... what the hell is that?

...dont even get me started on the questions they asked me...

my personal favorite.. my boss pulls me into her office, saying outlook wont close a certain email. she's saying virus! virus!...

.... turns out her hole puncher was on the keypad's 'enter' key... forcing the email to open everytime she closed it..

Comment

Re: We need a UNIX Admin at the Department of Labo

Like I said, I'm just throwing this up everywhere because we need to get someone in here. I'm tired of doing three people's jobs. Hey, I laugh at the job descriptions just as much as the next guy.

Comment

Working...
          X