Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another string height-action thread questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another string height-action thread questions.....

SO we have had these threads before, I know. But I have to ask you people this. I play with relatively "high" string action. I went to jam with a buddy the other night and have him check out my F30. so we switched guitars for a while. His guitar has stupid low action, and I could NOT play it.... [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] I had fret buzz on any note I played. When he plays his guitar, it sounds fine. He said I physically "attack" the strings harder than he does(with both my picking hand and my fretting hand), and that my much heavier style demands higher action by nature. So I would like to bounce this off you JCFers. I know "high" action and "low" action are subjective things, but what can you say in relation to that idea? of playing more aggresively generating more fret buzzes. I am tlaking about solos now, not just bangin out chords like an angry punk rocker on steriods. How would you classify your style? and how it relates to your string action? do you have problems with buzzing if you have an aggressive style? I just cant play a "low" action guitar anymore....I have to really change the way I play the guitar to stop the buzzing, and therefore it changes the way I sound, I dont sound like ME anymore, It changes my "signature" so to speak.

Please post away!!! I am all ears on this [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: another string height-action thread questions.....

Buzzing drive me nuts ..but yeah if I change guitars that have different actions it F's with me.. you end up having to change your pick technique because of the change in angle and depth ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I have the same problem. Lower/Higher action does not really affect my left hand as much as it does my right. I pick lighter and with more of a sweep with lower action. With higher action I tend to pick every note. Does this make sense?

Comment

I prefer medium to higher action myself. I originally raised them up because I think the guitars tone is better. If its too low I feel you lose some harmonic bite and responsivness. If I get one with it too low, I can't play it unless I do no bends or virbrato, and that aint no good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can dig in more and bend underneath adjacent strings with a higher action.

I can see where a more aggresive type of pick hand could generate more string vibration thereby more buzz. Also string gauge will also throw you off a bit. I use 10's and if I pick up someones guitar with 8's or 9's my pick attack is too aggressive for them and I sound like crap...
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: another string height-action thread questions.

I have a very high action because it sounds better and I couldn't play with low action because my playing style is bretty agressive, I use a lot of wide vibrato, harmonics, big chords and I pick very hardly. All that sh1t is better with high action IMO
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

OK, good, so its not just me [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I also use alot of pick harmonics, and vibrato and I just dont feel like I am in control of the guitar with low action. And several of you commented on the tone being better, and I totally agree with that. I think low acton guitar do suffer for tone quality. The guitar players I know usually go for much lower action. they dont seem to think or care that it affects their tone adversly. I can certainly hear a difference in tone. and I am like you Kev, I cannot stand buzzing, it drives me nuts too. I obsess about it. I have to get the buzzing out of any guitar I own by raising the action to level that accomodates my style of playing. I have had people say "why is your action so high?" or "how can you play this thing?" when they try out my guitars. and then they watch me play them and are puzzled at how I can deal with the action. This has happend to me slowly over the last 10 years. As I became more and more aware of tone quality, (rather than how fast I can play)I started to slowly raise my action. I am completly comfortable with playing my guitar with the action now, I feel more in command of the strings, like I can get a good grip on them, and the tone is more true. I am glad you guys posted, and please keep the opinions coming, whatever they may be. Its all good!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Same here, I can't stand buzzing and a lot of players ask me "Why is your action so damn high"
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I also play with medium-high action on 10s. To me not only does the tone sound better (more full), but it is also easier. I have long fingers and on super low action guitars I tend to slip around the fretboard and not have very good control. I also find it harder to mute strings I'm not playing. I dunno.... maybe I just play weird. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I like to feel the strings too.
                My pick attack varies according to what I'm playing, I mean dynamics-wise. Even though I'm mostly a rhythm player, I have a lighter touch and a loose wrist when I play fast. I only attack the strings when I need to.

Em

Comment

yes endrik, I hear that alot too. Most players cannot understand why on earth I would set my guitar up like that by choice. Its something I have just got accustomed to over many years of playing. I think the buzzing made me do it as my style became more aggresive, and the better tone quality was a added bonus.

Thats a good description Em. I Slide around the fretboard too. I played my freinds Les Paul, he has 10s on it with stupid low action, now remember its a Les Paul so the frets arent jumbo either. I felt like I was a greased pig trying to get out of a big bath tub when I was playing his guitar. I couldnt get a grip on the strings any where... boy, its funny what you get used to for string height. I also cant play anything without jumbo frets without trouble. I have a 93 USA Fender Strat( it think its a deluxe plus model...)and I can get by with that, but I have to work at it. It sounds real funny, but I do agree that its easier to play a guitar with high action and jumbo frets....I guess its just what you get used to. Now logically one would figure that the lowest action, smallest frets would be the easiest guitar to play, but for some reason it just isnt the case with some of us....

oh well, its all good. keep the opinions coming. I find this interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I adapt my playing style to the different guitars I play, but I would put my own action at "medium low" when compared to all guitar players, but "medium high" in relation to most Jackson players.

Comment

Very interesting read. I am surprised by how many of you are using higher action. All of my guitars are setup with Boomer .009s and low action, but not super low. I like to glide across the frets with minimal pressure on the strings.

I use Fender Extra Heavy pics. Which gives me more control and feel. If I use a medium pic or thin I get alot of buzz becuase I can't feel the string as well through the pic as I strum. If you strum any of my guitars hard enough they do get some buzz. Especially the low E string.

I have developed a very bad habit of pressing my pinky into the side of the HUM. As a pivot and kickstand. It helps me keep my pic on top of the strings and not dip down into them as I play. Especially if I start sweeping or quick machine gun style picking. If I'm playing chords it is tucked up into my palm.

Now my acoustic setup is just the opposite. I use a medium pic with higher action. If I played my acoustic like I play my electrics it sounds as if I am playing softly. I stum the acoustic much hader than I would any of my electrics to get it to sing out.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I adapt my playing style to the different guitars I play, but I would put my own action at "medium low" when compared to all guitar players, but "medium high" in relation to most Jackson players.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Pretty much the same here. And I'll use 10-46 or 11-48 gauge strings. I started out using 10s and tried 9s a few times in the '80s but I wound up always breaking them. 9s feel like spider webs to me now, but at least I don't break them any more when I play on a guitar with them. I tend to be a little on the heavy-hand side, but I haven't broken any strings in many years.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Very interesting read. I am surprised by how many of you are using higher action. All of my guitars are setup with Boomer .009s and low action, but not super low. I like to glide across the frets with minimal pressure on the strings.

I use Fender Extra Heavy pics. Which gives me more control and feel. If I use a medium pic or thin I get alot of buzz becuase I can't feel the string as well through the pic as I strum. If you strum any of my guitars hard enough they do get some buzz. Especially the low E string.

I have developed a very bad habit of pressing my pinky into the side of the HUM. As a pivot and kickstand. It helps me keep my pic on top of the strings and not dip down into them as I play. Especially if I start sweeping or quick machine gun style picking. If I'm playing chords it is tucked up into my palm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Like a mirror. I am the same way exactly except I use Dunlop greens.

I find that a little buzzing is going to happen with low action (no way around it), so I have learned to find the trade off sweet spot for each of my guitars. A good pro set up every year or so does not hurt with me doing maintinance in the interim.

As to the "pinkle" kick stand, I have been trying to break the habit for a year with much success [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

For me it depends on how much I'm playing,when I'm not able to play much I need the action a bit lower,but when I'm playing alot it gets raised a bit higher!! I've never used what I would call high action though,even during my SRV gig I used medium action!!& being more of a legato player I generally prefer a low/medium action!!

Comment

I also use pretty low action, higher action just f*cks me up. I have some fret buzz, but am used to it I guess, it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't play REALLY heavy handed, and use Dulop purple gators.

Comment

Working...
                              X