Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transferring analog video to hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transferring analog video to hard drive?

Ok, got the box today and hooked it up.
    Major dissapointment - my desktop doesn't have a FireWire port [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    My laptop does, but it's also got a Celeron, and a 20GB HD that's almost full.
    Now, when I was readng the website about this box, I did not see anything that specifically stated it did NOT have "normal" video outs (to PC), just the line "you must have an IEEE 1394 port to capture DV (digital video)". This, to me, is not as accurate as it should be - I was given the impression that if you had a Digital Video CAMERA, you needed the FireWire port, but not if you had an analog camera.
    Guess I shoulda read it a few dozen more times before spending $300+ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, now I gotta hit WalMart to see if they have a Firewire adaptor card, and hope my mobo has that capability (it should, but you never know)

I did capture a small clip to my laptop, and it's 100% smoother than the ATI card on my desktop was - no frames dropped at all, but MovieMaker was the only app that would run without crashing - my laptop came with Cyberlink PowerDirector Pro, but it keeps crashing on startup (yay), so I had to use MM.
    I've got my laptop connected directly to my desktop via a crossover cable, so I tried to set MovieMaker's working directory to one on my desktop PC, but all it would let me select is a network drive that no longer exists [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] and can't seem to "see" any new network/shared folders I create [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

MM is a pretty darn decent app...and it's free. You can do some cool editing/disolves/etc.

Regarding your network drives with the cross over cable...shot it in the dark...make sure your un/pw are identical on both machines.

Yeah IEEE 1394 means firewire. The whole thing behind that ADVC device is that it makes your analog source look like a digital video camera.

Good luck.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

My network stuff is set fine - I can get to and from either computer with either computer, it's just that for some reason new shared/network/mapped drives and folders were not being seen by the app, even after closing it and restarting it.

Anyhoo, I went to WalMart and grabbed a 3-port FireWire card for my desktop, as well as one of those external HD conversion thingies. I figured if the card didn't work, at least I could dump them all to the external drive and then just plug it into the desktop for editing.

When I upgraded my PC last year, the mobo I got had a slight problem with one of the PCI slots - XP didn't recognize anything I put in it. So of course, with a sound card and an IDE hard drive card taking up the 2 good slots, the only place to put the FW card was in that slot.
        I finally just swapped the sound card over to that slot because XP would just NOT recognize the card, but lo and behold, everything's running good - I got sound and FW - I guess that one slot just needed a really good shove with a card [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I've been re-dumping the tapes that I recorded and dumped before, and the video quality difference is amazing.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X