Anyone using VOIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using VOIP?

Has anyone dumped their landline for voip? I'm looking at AT&T Callvantage and was curious if anyone has tried it.

Re: Anyone using VOIP?

I have callvantage... I love it what you wanna know?
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

My girlfriend has that I believe, she really doesn't like it. If your cable internet service is spotty, your phone will be as well. Hers' craps out on her all the time.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone had any problems with it. I know it's dependant on the internet connection you have, I haven't had a single problem with comcast cable internet in the 5 years I've had it. I like that all long distance calls are included and that I can get a virtual number also with voip. I was also curious if anyone was using it with Directv, I've heard some people have had problems, but mostly with tivo. I just want to make sure that the regular receiver won't have problems connecting, if I can't get the football I'll lose it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd tend to beleive that to be true.. my service is great. I get 3000kbps DL so I'm in good shape there. My phone is clear and crisp, I've had no issues with it.

The tools imo are awesome.. if someone leave a voicemail you can have the voicemail email if you want.

It has a callfilter feature where you can put numbers in and it will either send em to voicemail or not accept them at all. You can set it so if caller id isn't present it doesn't ring it goes to voicemail..

It has a do not disturb feature.. you can set it for a few hours @ specific times each day. Mine is set from midnight till 5 am. If it is an emergency it gives the caller the option of breaking in..

It has a follow feature you can set to ring your cellphone if your not home (basically call forward) but this one will do up to either 3 or 5 phones ..

Unlimited local and long distance.. the total bill with taxes is just under $31, my old bill with verizon unlimited used to cost me $80 ..

The cons .. Your at the mercy of your cable company.. the cable goes out.. no phone.. if you have downstream issues it could affect it too ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Thanks for the replies Kevin and Paddok.

Yea, it has a ton of features and they're almost all built into the one price. With 4000 down and 256 up the ~90k it uses each way when making calls should be fine.

I'm getting sick of paying almost $40 a month before making 1 phone call. I'll pay the $4.99 extra/month to have a local number for my relatives in Florida to call.

Any problems with routers? I saw that they can provide you with a router, but I won't replace what I use with some Linksys junk. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info!

Comment

I use Lingo, it's cheap, but I had to open up a ton of ports on my firewall to keep it from just dying a couple of times per week.
              Also, occasionally I get stuttery calls (sound like they are breaking up) on the other end. One more thing, when you call someone, they will get a phone call with no one there and then a second call five seconds later that is really you.

Oh yeah, caller ID doesn't show the name, only the number.

It sucks, but still worth $19 per month vs $35 for the same type of service + long distance from a phone company.

Any more than $19/month and I'd be upset.

Lingo provides 911 service which some VOIP vendors do not.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

My service is provided Cox, and I've never had a problem with it. I get full names and numbers with my caller id, and call outs don't have the symptoms that 442w30 is experiencing. With Internet, HDTV, and phone all coming in the same pipe, I was expecting problems but have none. The only bummer is I'm limited to where I can put my phone, since the only phone outlet in my apartment that works is the one on the universal box that the cable connection comes into.

Comment

My whole family is using Vonage and swear by it... I keep meaning to switch
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I've had packet8 for a year or longer and I like it pretty well. Can't beat the price and some of the features are nice as well. Most of the cons have already been stated but quite possibly the most annoying feature is you must dial 1+area code for even local calls. Call me lazy but I hate pushing that many buttons to call my wife @ work.

Comment

Lingo doesn't have the 1+ area code problem and 911 works, that and the price are the only three reasons to consider it over another.

I have heard nothing bad about Vonage except the slightly higher price, but I never heard anyone complain about the quality of Vonage.
                      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

no problems with the router .. the router sit downstream from the voip box ..

Comment

Cool, thanks for sharing your opinions guys!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I use Lingo, it's cheap, but I had to open up a ton of ports on my firewall to keep it from just dying a couple of times per week.
                            Also, occasionally I get stuttery calls (sound like they are breaking up) on the other end. One more thing, when you call someone, they will get a phone call with no one there and then a second call five seconds later that is really you.

Oh yeah, caller ID doesn't show the name, only the number.

It sucks, but still worth $19 per month vs $35 for the same type of service + long distance from a phone company.

Any more than $19/month and I'd be upset.

Lingo provides 911 service which some VOIP vendors do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what he said....I'm using Lingo. My calls are clear, but I hate the hardware. Having port problems. Apparently it's easy to fix, but I can't figure it out yet

Comment

What kind of hardware does Lingo give you? Are you having trouble opening the correct port in the router?

Comment

Working...
                              X