• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new steroid...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...w=wn_tophead_8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: The new steroid...

wait until someone dies during the surgery and see how popular it becomes. Not that I want to see anyone die, but surgery is a big risk now matter how "routine" it is.

Comment

That is so stupid.
      I think that is ethically fukked up.
      LAME. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

i didn't read the whole thing, but got thru most of it. i doubt that pitchers are going to elect this kind of thing. tj surgery requires about a year off, and i don't know of any team that's gonna acquire a pitcher that they can't use for a year, and even if you have the surgery (or any surgery, for that matter), there's no guarantee that you'll be better off for it. it's like getting a boob job: they don't all look great, in fact, many look god awful.

i think that this article/opinion is a stretch, at best, and this is coming from someone who is really pissed about the whole steroids thing. tj surgery has certainly restored and prolonged many a pitcher's careers, sure, but as the article says, it's something that's done to treat an injury.

about the lasik eye surgery thing...i think that it's interesting that batters show a better ability to see the ball, but that *could* be psychosomatic, to an extent. and if a player got that surgery, it's usually to correct already poor vision. maybe i'm naive, but i don't know that many surgeons are going to do that kinda thing on someone who has perfect vision. granted, i'm sure that there aren't many adults who truly have perfect vision. i don't see that as cheating b/c if you've ever got dirt in your eye when you've got contacts on, you know that can hurt like hell for a bit. it'd make sense to me to have that surgery. i don't see that as getting an unfair advantage. it's like if for some reason that people who had rhinoplasty had better on base percentage, i doubt that we'd see a team full of michael jackson noses.

i dunno, i'm really against the whole steroid thing, i think the testing that's in place is lame and done just for show (no testing of HGH or amphetamines), but i also think that there certainly are other factors in today's baseball that gives advantages over the days gone by (smaller stadiums, tighter wrapped baseballs). and sadly, no matter how much the commissioner and the congress say they want to rid baseball of steroids and other performance enhancing substances, they are also running a business. and sadly, the public isn't interested in games that are pitching wars. they want home runs that go way out of the park. it's kinda sad, really; i think the best games are the low scoring ones with deep counts. that, to me, is when baseball is exciting. men on bases with batters at full counts hacking away pitches until the pitcher either wins, or the batter gets on base, is REALLY where it's at.

i love baseball.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

sure a great pitchers duel is great to watch, but if i'm at the park, i gotta hear the crack of the bat a few dozen times sullster. there's nothing like the crack of the bat.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

shit, let em take all the performance enhancements, roids, surgeries they can put themselves through!

It'll make for better viewing!

Reminds me of that old "all steroid olympic skit" on SNL where the bodybuilder tries to lift a heavy weight but instead rips his arms off [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              shit, let em take all the performance enhancements, roids, surgeries they can put themselves through!

It'll make for better viewing!

Reminds me of that old "all steroid olympic skit" on SNL where the bodybuilder tries to lift a heavy weight but instead rips his arms off [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And where does this lead? 1st off lets think about the diseases from the roids.. cancers etc.. 2nd how fair is it to people like Ruth to have their records artificially broken.. Lastly what would this teach our kids going into little league and youth baseball?...

It's a bad idea all around
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

well, yeah, he's kidding, but i do believe that many fans in general don't care about this kinda thing.

i can say that the state of texas is nuts over youth sports... the high school that my son will go to has a huge steroids problem, and it's messed up, to say the least. the idea that there's a bunch of 15 year olds injecting themselves with this stuff is frightening, to say the least.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I dont think there should be any steriods or artifical "enhancers" of any kinds in sports, period. If I pitcher injurs his arm, and it needs surgery to correct it, fine, go for it. but to elect for a surgery to speed up your fastball should not be allowed. As far as the eye surgery thing, correcting bad vision with surgery is no more unethical than wearing eye glasses or contacts. IF you cant see, you cant see. Wether you correct it with glasses, contacts or surgery is a personal choice and no one method gives you an "edge" over other players on the field. I personally wont have any corrective eye surgery because I dont believe in it at this point, its a very young procedure. I know people that have tried it with no, little or negative results. Yea, wearing glasses is a bit of a hassle, I have worn them for 18 years, but I am not willing to alter the surface of my eye surgically just yet....sorry off the subject....These are just my opinions and I am sure people will differ.

Aside from the ethical issue of steroids is the health issue. Athletes can do great harm and damage to their bodies by taking steriods.

Not to change the subject, but on a related note....How a bout the idea those concepts in respect to the "home run wars" that McGuire and Sosa had a few years back? do you think any of that steroid stuff played into that? or do you possibly think that home run race was staged to stir interest in the sport when ticket sales were down and things were slow? after all, its a business too... Could those pitchers have been throwing big pumpkins with a bullseye on them just screaming hit me out of the park for those guys during the home run race? I thought about both of those things.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I hope that isnt the case, as it plays into what Kevin said about legitmate records being broke for the reasons of making a dollar. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

nah, i don't believe that mlb would essentially be throwing games just to break records. i DO however, think that sammy and mcgwire weren't doing that well on their own.

i don't believe that steroids is gonna make someone go from barely able to bunt to tearing covers off of the ball, but i think it certainly does give you the ability to make a potential warning track catch become bleacher trophies for the fans who catch them.

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

. it's like getting a boob job: they don't all look great, in fact, many look god awful.

I wasnt going to say anything sully, but now that you mention it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think people dying from stupid shit is great. Population control.

Comment

sure you do.
                          until it's someone close to you.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Be careful Sully.. you'll be labeled as "a sensitive guy" for comments like that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                            X