Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please recommend me some 80s shred metal

hi all

title says it all....i'd like to get more into 80s shred metal [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    i'm looking for blazing guitar solos and good/great singing...no cookie monster vocals please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    i'm way too much into death/thrash/speed etc metal....around 90% of my CDs are like that...i need to get some diversity [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

greets
    fragle

Re: please recommend me some 80s shred metal

Racer X
    Tony MacAlpine
    Vinnie Moore
    are three of my favorites.....

Comment

the great Cacophony

Comment

Cross Fire
        Sinner
        Judas Priest
        Icon
        Stryper
        Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
        Loudeness

Comment

If you like real metal, buy an album from "Testament" called "The New Order" released in 1988. The vocals are on a par with Hetfield of that time (maybe a little better) and Alex Skolnick is the man (his style is like classical arpegs mixed pretty evenly with pentatonics and he can rip - and the music is heavy!).

If you want to go "lighter" -then I would say to buy any of the Dokken ablums released from '83 to 89 (say Tooth and Nail - or just get a "best of"). George Lynch is amazing.

Also, Randy Rhoads live work on '87s "Tribute" (which was a compilation of songs from tours from around '81) is very impressive. I like the live stuff better than the studoi versions - heavier and flows better IMHO.

BTW - these guys are not just speed, but they can let it rip when they want to! If you are more concered with speed, then what Brad said! There are others like Marty Friedman, Jason Becker and Paul Gilbert (the same Marty that played with Megadeth through the 90s).

My $0.02
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Savatage

Comment

yngwie - rising force.

Comment

Racer X and Cacaphony are the most badass shred bands EVER.
                Also:
                Impellitteri
                Yngwie (mid and late 80's)
                Loudness
                Stryper
                Extreme
                Blue Murder
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

well, i'm pretty much looking for bands that carry the same intensity as today's power metal bands...think primal fear or rage. i'd like to listen to actual songs, and not just a solo guitar player wailing all the time (yngwie... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] don't get me wrong, i have a lot of yngwies stuff, and it's great)...i downloaded two whitesnake songs and thats pretty much what i'm looking for...powerful, good singing, and nice guitar solos.

i own the basics...judas priest, ozzy and some testament stuff...i'd just like to get more "80s" so to speak....you could say more cheesy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i was already thinking about dokken...i think i'll get some of their stuff

Comment

If you like Whitesnake then you must check out Blue Murder, specially their first album.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Look for a band called Giant, they had a guitarist named Dann Huff. Dann is an awesome guitar player.
                      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Always overlooked, but can hang with anyone previously mentioned...

Greg Howe [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Did a bunch of solo records, but the best of all was a record called "High Gear" with his brother singing.

Comment

yeah that was a great album, I belive that project was called Howe II

Comment

And speaking of overlooked...

Anything with Doug Aldrich, he is a f*n tone/melodic (but still rips) MONSTER!

Comment

speaking of Doug, he did a great solo performance at the Whitesnake concert, great shredder with good feel, tone and vibrato.

Comment

Working...
                              X