Where do we go from here??? (Hockey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do we go from here??? (Hockey)

OK guys... No hockey. So what next? Not even the Great One and Super Mario can skate in from their respective blue lines and save the day. How do we cope?

There's a handful of us here who love hockey. I'm sure we're devistated. Poor Lucy Splatter has got to be fuming when she looks at the dent her hubby put in the refrigerator with his forehead. I'm now starting to play with my food. I got a Hostess Ding-Dong from the vending machine the other day and hit it across the lunch-room with a mean slap-shot. (The lunch-lady couldn't close the 5-hole fast enough.)

Some of us are lucky to have the minors playing on cable. Here in Chicago, Comcast has picked up all of the Chicago Wolves games. This would probably not be the case if they hadn't won the Turner Cup twice in the first two years since their inception. I'm sure that others have picked up the minor leagues as well. But to me, it's not the same. Some of the players that we have followed for years are not playing. Some of the teams that we follow through win or loss are not playing. (the only solace to this is that I can say that the Red Wings don't have more points or a better record than the Blackhawks this year)

So what do we do?? How do we supplement our fix for hockey? Do we put on goalie equipment and ask our significant others or kids to shoot pucks at us? Do we go to NHL.com and buy all the hockey documentaries and sit in front of the boob-tube watching them in our hockey PJs (you know you own them) until you pass out in your favorite chair while watching them? Do you set your video-game console to play itself while you ask your significant other to stock the fridge with Molson, pizza, pretzels, and popcorn and only go to the fridge when each period ends?

So followers of Lord Stanley's Cup, what the puck do we do??? I'm open to suggestions.
    Occupy JCF

Re: Where do we go from here??? (Hockey)

hey i reported to the St. Louis Cardinals camp earlier in the week. they saw my stuff and were amazed. they said i would have a shot at being the 5th starter as long as i cut my hair and to lose my beach rag. i said "fukk you". just like the N.H.L. said to all of us.
    Todd, even a 28 game season with playoffs would have sucked when you think about it. go attack Mrs.Tekky and pass the time that way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

If we all had an xbox we can all play NHL2K5 on Xbox live. I'm totally up for that
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

We should lobby the owners to hire a bunch of scab players, and have a season that extends into summer and has at least 50 games. As for the current players, tell them all to blow themselves............

Comment

I can only attack the Mrs. on weekends and vacations. (for now) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I agree, that an abbreviated season wouldn't have wet our whistles enough, but it's better than the alternative that we're currently forced to deal with. I can't get excited about baseball. I've never been a fan. Football is only a minor consolation, but that season is over and let's face it, football isn't as fast-paced as hockey. I can't deal with basketball because of the gross flaunting of attitude, on and off the court. (quick joke I got from Maxim... Q: Why did Ron Artest leave the game early? A: He wanted to beat the crowd.) Golf is slightly more exciting than watching paint dry. So there's nothing to take hockey's place.

I've gotta say, the more I read into the NHL's position the more I'm on their side. The players are bleeding the league. Love him or hate him, Bettman and his cronies were trying to make the NHL viable for the future. Now I'm not pointing fingers because Goodenow and his cronies were just doing what they felt was best for the players, which is more money and benefits. It's what any good union learder will do. The problem is that Goodneow isn't looking at the bigger picture. What good is a multi-million dollar contract if there's no league to honor it?

(sorry Tommy, I'm not dropping the issue, I'm jonesing for some on-ice action and I'm not talking Ice-Capades!)
          Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            If we all had an xbox we can all play NHL2K5 on Xbox live. I'm totally up for that

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda off topid - although this is a really cool idea - there was a recall on the power cord for the Xbox do to a fire hazard. Apparently they are just all the sudden shorting out and causing fires.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, cool idea, but do we all have a buck fiddy to throw into an XBox? Let alone what NHL2K5 would cost...

I just bought a PlayStation 2 and a few games for it. It's pretty darn 'spensive.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda off topid - although this is a really cool idea - there was a recall on the power cord for the Xbox do to a fire hazard. Apparently they are just all the sudden shorting out and causing fires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, If mine burns up I can sue MS, That has to be worth something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't watch minor league hockey. We have the Phantoms in Philly and a indy team here in Atlantic City but it bores me to watch that. I'll just keep playing pickup hockey at the local rinks when I can squeeze it in. I'll take 28 games with a playoff over nothing though. They played what 40 something last time they striked/lockedout, I thought that was a great season to watch after they came back. But I love pro hockey so any pro games are good for me.

Comment

the worst thing about the strike to me is that we probably won't see so many of the great players like mario, messier, etc. who would or could be in their last year of playing this year. it's up to the new york yankees to save the n.h.l. is it true that all it would have taken was another $7 million to save what was left of this season?

Comment

No. The 7 mil figure was only the gap in the salary cap negotiation. There were other "fine-print" items that widened that gap considerably.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Not much you can do. The minor leagues aren't too bad, sure its not the same caliber of players but it can be good competition. I like to compete so I can get into anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Major junior leagues like the OHL are great. These players are not paid and playing the game because the love it as well as for the future in the NHL. It is really competitive even amongst players on the same team [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This is where you find a lot of the NHL’s next stars. College hockey is good but you don't get to see until the frozen four, it can be good hockey.

Me, I'll just ride it out. Sure I miss it but it only sunk in after the Super Bowl. I really got into the World Series last fall due to no NHL and I'll be into it come opening day. Funny tidbit about the Red Sox, I saw article somewhere where they were playing the blame game because of the NHL being cancelled. They were blaming the Red Sox because they won the World Series; the last time they won the series the cup finals were cancelled because of the influenza outbreak lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I say wait it out, enjoy the additional free time and money you have. Just think, no more staying up until 2:30-3:00am watching double or triple OT playoff games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You can catch some hockey on ESPN classic. HD-Net has been airing a program called NHL relived which is basically games from last year in high def...Seeing those makes you want more tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Love watching Espn classic

Comment

Nice thinking! Donnie you are just too good!

Comment

on this day in 1936, the new york rangers beat the montreal canadiens by a score of 28-24!!!! highest scoring game ever. and the rangers were called something else at the time, i am just trying to remember but i can't at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X