Crazy Networking Question for the pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Networking Question for the pros

I cannot resolve dns for gmail.com and ebay.com about 7 times an hour for 45 seconds to 3 minutes. Usually google.com and jcfonline.com resolve fine.
    I am on RoadRunner with a belkin home router. It did the same thing with a DLink router. Any ideas on what could be happening? Of course Time Warner support says it's all on my side. Any ideas? I have four PCs inside the router, and it happens to all of them. Nothing too special about the config, but I do have lingo VOIP inside the router too.
    The router log gets a bunch of DoS stuff in the log from the WAN side, but that's pretty typical (so I'm told).
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Crazy Networking Question for the pros

What OS and browser are you running? Have you tried doing an nslookup when it happens or are you relying on the browser message?
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Using XP on 3 of them with SP2 and IE ( I know better) but one is RH9 and Mozilla (with fedora legacy/ yum updates)

From the command line I do a tracert(XP) or traceroute on the RH box to www.jcfonline.com or www.google.com, and everything is OK. When I do the same to many other sites ebay and gmail, I get hostname not resolved type errors. sometimes JCFonline.com and google.com give me trouble too, but it's really weird.
      I can tracert google.com, works, tracert gmail, no worky, and alternate back and forth with the same results for a couple of minutes, walk away for a drink, come back and it's ok. Been like this for months.
      I havn't ried NSLookup, do you think it'll give me better info?
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

OK, here's something that I never have felt good about. The router gives out a 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP) ip address for the DHCP clients' DNS server. I believe that the router is getting lazy and not forwarding requests (or caching them correctly for the client requests). There is no DHCP configuration on the router for the client's DNS settings, so I'll have to manually point them at my ISP's DNS server. Does that make sense?

Comment

Makes sense. I would try setting your DNS server to your ISP's server. Try an nslookup with one going to your router and one using your ISP. See if you get a response from both and if they match. You may even notice one being slow, your router.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Thx Jack, I'll report back in a few days either way in case anyone else has experienced this.

Comment

It's all DNS man, and Roadrunner may not know about it, at least the cleon that answered. Try using our DNS servers and see what happens. Just do a whopis on jcfonline.com and use thos settings on one machine, tell me what it does.

Pat

Comment

Cool Pat!
                That's probably one step better than using the RR DNS anyway (a few more hops I suppose, but from a non-jacked ISP).

Comment

DNS is a non-issue if your hosts file has been hijacked. You resolve hostnames by your hosts file first before you hit DNS.

check out c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

make sure someone hasn't redirected ebay.com, paypal.com, etc.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Using the ip for chicagowebs DNS, still fails every once in a while.
                    NSlookup www.ebay.com = DNS request timeout
                    Tracert =
                    Tracing route to 64.37.122.49 over a maximum of 30 hops
                    1 192.169.1.1 reports: destination net unreachable
                    Trace complete

The hosts files are clean, I checked just in case.

I believe I give up ....for now.

Comment

check this thread....

hijacked computer

check tim's post on hijacked winsock.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Hey guys,
                        It turned out to be a bad cable modem if anyone sees this again.

Thanks for all the repies!

Comment

Glad it all worked out bro!

Pat

Comment

Working...
                          X