Any skiers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any skiers here?

About three years ago, my girlfriend dragged me out to a ski hill. Turns out it's great fun! Both of us are at the point where we can ski any blue run and some black runs, but we're having trouble making that jump to the steeper black runs, especially those with moguls.

If I have any skiers reading this, how did you do it? Lessons? Clench your buttcheeks and just go for it?

Don't know if this info helps, but we both have fairly old-school skis (not shape skis, though I did try a set and liked them a lot).

Re: Any skiers here?

Closest I ever got to skiing was tyin some tennis rackets to my boots and walkin round in the snow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Haven't tried it, but always looked fun

Comment

Ha, ha!

Definitely get yourself out skiing. I had no idea how much fun I was missing.

Comment

After skiing for many years, I switched to snowboarding which I love. But here's my advice FWIW.

Steep black with moguls. You gotta be aggressive (pretend like you're doing a battle charge) and attack them. Keep your weight pressed against the front of your boots. Don't sit back.

Still tentative?

Build confidence on a blue with moguls doing aggressive quick turns down the fall line. Learn to have fun with the moguls. Do some jumps. And just do one/two of the steep black/moguls per day (and please not at the end of the day when you're tired). You'll find measured progress each day.

Yeah, and the new shaped skis will help a lot. It might be worth it to rent them. Used ski equipment is really cheap.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I highly recommend lessons as the best way to get over that "terminal intermediate" hump, especially where mogul skiing & steeper stuff is concerned. Shape skis help alot, & they reduce the learning curve as far as carved turns go, but I don't think there is any substitute for lessons from a good instructor. It's kind of like with guitar, an instructor helps you figure out what bad techniques you've picked up that are holding you back & helps you change them rather than continuing to reinforce them. One of my friends in school was from CO, & they had a place in Breckenridge. Even though he was an expert & had raced for years, he still took lessons when he felt he needed to work on something.

Comment

I used to be a badass skier...back when I was skinnier.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I used to ski a lot a few years ago, mostly in those 20, 25 and 30 km contests. Skiing is very BIG in my country.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

My girlfriend also wants me to go with her sometime this winter. I'm totally afraid of hurting myself.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  My girlfriend also wants me to go with her sometime this winter. I'm totally afraid of hurting myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bones heal [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sounds like a lot of fun, shouldn't let that stop ya.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

If I have any skiers reading this, how did you do it? Lessons? Clench your buttcheeks and just go for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lessons will help you get to the next level of competency, like the best way to ski moguls, etc. The buttcheek clenching is also helpful when you know the landing is gonna suck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was an intermediate skier for years, and never got really good with is as I never went often enough every year. I could do some jumps and moguls early in the day before my legs tired but that was about it.

I tried snowboarding 9 years ago and haven't skied since. I find boarding way more fun, and I found it way easier to learn to board than ski. When my legs are fresh, I like to hit moguls on it.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for it, Troy! Just take it easy and ski within (or at least close to) your limits. It's really sick fun.

And be careful about ogling the hot ski chicks or crashing will be the least of your worries!

Comment

I agree, definitely take lessons if you can afford it. Good ones with good instructors that will do a proper job are $$$. I have actually learned the most by skiing with guys better than me and a) trying to keep up b) watching and emulating technique.

I am a 20 year+ skier and broke my collar bone two years ago on Mt. Spitball in PA going about 4 mph! You do have to be careful no matter where you are, how fast (or slow) you are going, or what your skill level.

It is a great sport and one I wish I could do more. Just like anything, it is hard to advance unless you can go with some regularity. Fortunately you can have a great day on the mountain with basic skills. It also helps living out west or in the NE where there are decent places to go!!!!
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I used to ski quite often when I was younger(race)but, yesterday I took my lil bros snowboard up the hill (Silver Star MT) with my Daughters class and as sore as my ass is, I think I will be buying it off him. He doesn't need it in Egypt anyhow.

I found out you are much better off learning on a short, wide and steep hill than trying to go down along flatter run because if you cant keep your speed up on the flat parts you're walkin'! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So if you don't like skiing there is always boarding to.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I found out you are much better off learning on a short, wide and steep hill than trying to go down along flatter run because if you cant keep your speed up on the flat parts you're walkin'! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I learned early on to stay away from green runs or build up enough speed beforehand so you don't stop. Even some blues aren't steep enough sometimes and I end up walkin or hopping down the slop like a freakin rabbit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I saw one chick on a flat area pushing herself with a ski poll. I'm standing there watching her glide on by... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                              X