• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Government to Legalize Sale of Dog Meat

Man, this is horrible...
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Korean Government Seeks to Legalize Sale of Dog Meat

I.D.A. has learned from our colleagues at Animal Freedom Korea (AFK) that the Ministry of the Office for Government Policy Coordination in Korea plans to legalize the sale of dog meat by setting standards for hygienic slaughter and processing. The Ministry recently completed a report on "the hygienic control of dog meat," and is about to open an internal debate. Under current Korean law, dogs cannot be sold as food, but the law is not enforced. If the Ministry's plans for hygienic control succeed, it will effectively legalize the dog meat market.

If the sanitary and environmental problems are so serious as to require government intervention, then the Korean Government must ban dog meat - not legalize it - in order to protect its citizens. AFK participated in the policy discussion for the hygienic control of dog meat and strongly opposed the measure. The group is actively working to block all efforts to legalize dog meat in Korea.

The sale of dog meat can only be legalized if the scheme is approved by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), which is responsible for the hygienic control of livestock. However, the MAF has already stated that it is impossible to hygienically control dog meat. In addition, the people of Korea must support legalization for it to take effect. The fact is, very few Koreans eat dog meat and most wish to see it banned. Despite this, the Ministry of the Office for Government Policy Coordination continues to seek legalization.

Please write polite letters to Korean Government officials and let them know that for the health of their people and for the millions of dogs who are already suffering unimaginable cruelties, they must not legalize the sale of dog meat. To contact these officials or automatically send them a pre-written emai: http://ga0.org/campaign/koreandogs

For more information, please visit AFK's web site or e-mail [email protected].

Re: Korean Government to Legalize Sale of Dog Meat

You know, I love dogs, but I'm not Korean.
    In much the same way as I would tell some guy from India to shut the hell up if he tried to bann beef slaughter here, I'll tell myself to shut the hell up on this.

Comment

Part of me agrees that this sucks, since I love dogs & would never ever consider eating one. The other part of me says that it would be a bit hypocritical of me to pick & choose for others which animals are OK for them to kill & eat, especially since I eat meat myself. Pigs, for example, are highly intelligent & extremely affectionate when kept as pets. I know this to be a fact, yet I still had bacon this morning. I'm not sure how I'd react to someone from the other side of the world who kept pigs as pets bombarding me with petitions & implying that I'm some kind of monster for eating pork. I'd either laugh at them or tell them to fukk off, probably both.

This is only my opinion, like everything else I post here. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone else for seeing it as a black/white issue & signing the petition.

*edit* I wasted quite a while writing this, then deciding whether to post it. Then AP said it much better than I did. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I agree with him.

Comment

They like to eat dogs, what's the big deal? It's the same as many people being opposed to eating cows, horses, pigs, etc.

I dunno, I guess I just don't care.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] <------- Dog nuggets.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I had a Korean friend when I used to live in L.A. more than 10 years ago, he told me he had a friend from Korea who came to U.S. for the first time and went to a supermarket with my friend and saw a canned food with Dog picture printed.
            He was so excited about it and bought some.
            He opened the can and tried it and realized it was not a Dog meat.
            It was a Dog Food instead.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A true Story.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] <------- Dog nuggets.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Just don't care huh? Wow... That's pretty sad. I really expected more out this place for some reason.

I do see the logic of that pigs are intelligent and we eat them. That is sad as well, but I like my pork chops and ribs. That whole industry is pretty screwed up in th ehandling of the animals. So, I can see the connection.
                  But, dogs are and have most always been companion animals. I just can't see using them for foodstuff.

Sad state of affairs though. Oh well... Back to important stuff like guitars! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

It could have been very different though.
                    Maybe instead of having a dog as a pet, I could have a pig as a pet then I wouldn't agree to kill pigs for food. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know, it's quite true. My friend raised pigs, and he adamantly says they are much smarter than dogs are.

Comment

Put me down for a "Just Don't Care" as well. Let me tell you why, though.

With all the crap going on in the world right now, what with the Tsunami killing so many people and destroying so many more lives, the people right here in the USA whose lives were destroyed by mudslides and floods, and the fact that that stupid "election" in Iraq is probably going to be a bloodshed disaster of incredible proportions, wether some third world country wants to eat dog meat or not...well, it dosen't even make my radar screen of concerns.

I don't have any care to spare. I'm all out of care. No more care. I gave at the office.

Comment

You care about guitars and amps man. So, you care about something!

I can't do anything about the elections, the mudlsides or tsunamis etc. except talk about them, and that's what I was doing about the dogs, talking about it.

Comment

Looks to me like you are quite active about it, what with various contact we can write to voice our displeasure, ways to help, no?

Like I said...

And no, I do not care about guitars and amps. I haven't played in a month, and counting. I've sold off everything but a Cray strat. I don't care anymore.

I care about motorcycles now. Again. I've come full circle. I've even cut my hair off.

Comment

I find the situation interesting, and pretty distastefull yes. It's just how "I" see it, as I was raised with dogs as friends not food. I'm sure they see it totally differently.

And no, I'm not quite active about it, I just cut and pasted an article I was sent from on the net that I thought might generate some chatter on the board. Sorry I didn't delete any parts that indicate some semblence of caring.

BTW, I said the guitar thing to you in a positive manner, and I, of all people, have always tried to talk positive to you when you were down on guitar or whatever. Sorry it offended as it "looks to me" like it has.

Enjoy your new bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X