Scariest movie ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scariest movie ever?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I started to wonder what people thought the scariest movie ever was and why. My vote goes to The Exorcist because... well the part when she crawls down the stairs backwards.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Scariest movie ever?

The Ring gave me the serious heebs. Never saw the original one in Japanese...I heard that was even scarier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

It's not as scary to me now, but The Candyman scared the living crap outta me when I was younger. We had this mirror in my hallway in route to our bathroom and I remember ducking down and runnin everytime I passed it, lol. The Ring was creepy too. Those crazy images are nuts. DuDE! Did ya see the easter egg on that DVD? Scared the living piss outta me watchin it in the dark. Lemme know if you saw it, if not I won't ruin it.

- Irfaan -

Comment

I haven't been scared by a movie since I was four years old, and that was "Jaws". I was so scared by it that I had my first and only movie-related nightmare. The shark was eating my grandma, who we were living with at the time and we had just watched the movie at her house.

I need a REALLY freaky/scary movie... it's been 17 years since that first and only nightmare! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Irfaan, no, I didn't know about the easter egg. Please tell me how to get to it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I assume it's on the US version. Have you seen the Japanese version yet?
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

The Changeling - a 1970s movie with George C. Scott
            The Others - fairly recent with Nicole Kidman.

Both of them gave me the willies in a serious way. And I don't scare easily.

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember watching "The Others" a couple of years back. The one part with the old lady opening the closet made me jump a little bit... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I get more freaked out reading stories of hauntings/ghosts on the internet (forums and websites) and using my imagination to live them vicariously than actually seeing literal movies that are sort of "fixed", know what I mean? I mean, in my mind, when I imagine the internet stories, I can made the ghosts look absolutely terrifying, whereas in the movies, they're somebody else's idea of the ultimate scary look and it takes away from the excitement of the fright.

Comment

Ok, I don't have the DVD, friend of mine does. We saw it at his house. I got this from a website. Lemme know if it works. And most importantly of all: WATCH IT IN COMPLETE DARKNESS. Only light in the room should come from your TV and then come back and tell me if you weren't freaked out. Oh yah, have the volume up too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From the Main Menu highlight 'Play Movie'. Press UP and your 'red arrow' cursor should disappear. Press ENTER and reveal the easter egg.

Another way to access the egg is to highlight 'Look Here' and press DOWN. Your cursor will once again disappear. Press ENTER to reveal the easter egg.

And, yet another way to access this egg is to press the number 6 on your remote. This will drive you straight to the easter egg.

They are all the same, just a few different ways to see it.

- Irfaan -

Comment

Helps if you watch the movie in an old farmhouse/countryhouse in the middle of nowhere too, it's even darker since you're away from the suburb/city lights and other people... mwahahahah! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I sometimes read my internet stories in my dark bedroom at 3:00am after everyone's gone to bed... there are times I go to bed after reading stories where I am too afraid to go to the bathroom one last time before sleeping, even if I REALLY have to go... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am also really freaked out by mirrors sometimes. They are almost a portal to another dimension. They say that locking yourself in the bathroom in the dark, looking into the mirror, and screaming "Bloody Mary" 13 times in a row will bring her out of the mirror and she will scratch the living hell out of your face. Child's myth, but I am nonetheless haunted by the thought! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EDIT: Here's the Snopes article about it.

http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/bloody.htm

Damn, I'm hitting Snopes more often than RacerX lately! The student has become the master! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EDIT #2: And I oftentimes find that the thought of scary old/dead WOMEN scare me much more intensely than scary old/dead men. Must be the old liminal hag syndrome where the strange women living in olden times were thought to be witches. Old men just appear to me as the funny/senile Gramps kinda dude so they're not scary. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i think you guys are forgeting a classic METAL HEAD scary movie. One of the Best movies...i saw it when i was about 8 years old...Scared the Bejesus out of me.. It went by the name THE GATE!!!! you remember..were the kids play the heavy metal record backwards, open the gate to hell...and that one chick stabs Her brothers friend in the eye With the Legs of a Barbie doll...god damn..i will never forget that part. if you havent seen it, go out and rent it...its awsome

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Helps if you watch the movie in an old farmhouse/countryhouse in the middle of nowhere too, it's even darker since you're away from the suburb/city lights and other people... mwahahahah! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I sometimes read my internet stories in my dark bedroom at 3:00am after everyone's gone to bed... there are times I go to bed after reading stories where I am too afraid to go to the bathroom one last time before sleeping, even if I REALLY have to go... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am also really freaked out by mirrors sometimes. They are almost a portal to another dimension. They say that locking yourself in the bathroom in the dark, looking into the mirror, and screaming "Bloody Mary" 13 times in a row will bring her out of the mirror and she will scratch the living hell out of your face. Child's myth, but I am nonetheless haunted by the thought! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EDIT: Here's the Snopes article about it.

http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/bloody.htm

Damn, I'm hitting Snopes more often than RacerX lately! The student has become the master! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that Bloody Mary thing is literally the Candyman movie. Didn't know it was based on another myth like that. In that movie, if you look in the mirror and say "Candyman" 5x he comes out and rips you apart. Dude has a hook for one hand and the actor who played him is a huge scary lookin mo fo too. Do you know what that does to a 9 year old! I'm scared again, lol. Damn mirror, gonna need therapy for this!

- Irfaan -

Comment

I love this thread, lol. I love horror movies, especially the classics. Dracula has always been one of my favorites. Not cause it scared me, but because it was based on a historical figure. Now things that could/could've been true in history and are still around today give me the shivers. Sorry dude, I haven't seen the Japanese version. I hope to soon, never got round to it. I saw an advertisment for "The Ring II" comin in March I think. Dunno how that's gonna be. Gonna go look it up

Comment

Yup, the thing at the bottom of the Snopes article talks about "Candyman", "Urban Legend", and an episode of "The X-Files" in which similar mirror chanting rituals were done.

Damn, I am getting a little shaky thinking about everything now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] <--- Nervous laughter. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Yup, the thing at the bottom of the Snopes article talks about "Candyman", "Urban Legend", and an episode of "The X-Files" in which similar mirror chanting rituals were done.

Damn, I am getting a little shaky thinking about everything now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] <--- Nervous laughter. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read it yet. I'll read it tomorrow when I can see some daylight...seriously, lol.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It was difficult for me to get through that article as well... and I know that sounds so stupid considering it's just internet text... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Blah, it's NOTHING when you read stuff like this during the day! It's best when you're alone, it's dark and stormy outside like the stupid cliché, and live in a house where you don't know the history of it too well! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Really, I hear strange sounds at night sometimes. I lie there huddled up with eyes wide open, refusing to move. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My bed is up against the wall. One night, I woke up and was facing the wall, and I felt a sharp finger stroking the back of my head. I could not move for some odd reason... not that I wanted to! Man, that freaked me out. I lay there looking at the wall in the dark until the sharp fingernail stopped scratching at the back of my shaven head. I was too afraid to turn around and it took me a long time to fall asleep again.

The next morning, I reasoned with myself that it was probably a combination of my overactive imagination and sleep paralysis just as I was temporarily waking out of sleep, but it felt all too real. I've never experienced waking sleep paralysis until that night. My mom's experienced it before and it sounded freakish... that might have been a catalyst for my freaking out.

Pleasant dreams everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X