particularly the bass drums............
    i'm taking up drumming a little, have a tama double bass set
    would like to know how to get that deep punchy sound ala vinnie paul
    i tried tuning them a few different ways and stuff some blankets in them
    maybe more/less blankets

any help is appreciated! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: getting good drum sound

hehe.....this is my specialty!!

First...check out this track. I played, and engineered and recorded the drum tracks on this demo. I didn't quite get the bass drum sound I really wanted, but the drums are Tama Starclassics, and the snare was a Remo maple piccolo. I particularly love the crack of a piccolo snare.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.a...93&aid=614

To get that Vinnie Paul kick sound....start by using a metal kick plate on your kick drums. You should also start out by having NO padding in your kick drum (to start)....then add as needed...just enough to deaden the after ring....you want to keep your kicks as wide open as possible without having an after ring. Also tune your kick lugs down to where they just stretch the heads over the shells without buckling (both sides).

Second....you will need a fair amount of compression to both get the bottom end thud, and the top end slap. The rest is EQ'ing. I like to get the drum sound first as it will end up in the final mix without worrying too much about it later. In other words...record the drums as you would want to hear them in the final mix, without too much tweaking later on. That can happen when you master the tracks.

Let me know what you think.
    ~Ken

Comment

The metal plate is probably the key there to getting that tight "clicking" kick sound. Didn't some bands/producers use coins attached to the pedal for even more 'click'? I imagine doing that would shred a drum head pretty quickly.

Also, I know that the classic '80s clicky kick sound was partially created in the studio by using a noise gate to capture just the attack and gate out the body of the kick sound--and then a deep reverb was used to replace the missing sound. This was also how the "grand canyon" gated snare sound was created back then. No real snare drum could ever get that sound.

Not being a big Pantera fan, I can't think what Vinnie's drums sound like off the top of my head, but doesn't he prefer a more 'natural' sound with more body? I would guess that you wouldn't want as much attack on the kick drum, in that case.

Comment

Yes Pro-Fusion....almost forgot to mention....Gates are essential as well as compression.
        The trick to the clicky bass drum sound (as I did it...and Vinnie does as well) Are the metal kick plates, and using a heavy plastic beater (as opposed to the felt beater) Depending on which pedals you use...The Tama Cobras, and the ones I used (DW7000) have a plastic beater side....use that side.

Comment

cool, i think only constuctive criticism i can give about it is that the vocals stick out a little too far
          love the drum sound though!!!!!

Comment

Yeah...I agree about the vocals.....but as far as the drum sound goes....I took a lot of time getting that to sound like it does. The only thing I neglected, was pushing the volume up a little more on the kick. It sounded really loud in my cans when I recorded them, that's why the volume was lacking a little. I just left it, rather than burn through the tracks again.

Comment

remo muffle rings and pimstripe heads.....are you looking for a recorded sound or just to get your kick to sound good when you play it?
              www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

Triggers through a BBE is another simple approach if you want a death metal sound.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  remo muffle rings and pimstripe heads.....are you looking for a recorded sound or just to get your kick to sound good when you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]both.............but my singer and i cant find a bass player nor drummer in NJ for shit.........so we may be doing everything on a demo ourselves

Comment

Dude...if you have lived closer to me, I'd seriously have offered to help you guys out. But I can't be more than a 10 mile radius away from my gf who can go into labor in any day now.

Comment

Working...
                    X