Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a bass

Alright lads.
    Am thinking of getting a bass to mess around with. Thought it'd be a change to guitar for a while. Might get me more inspired or something. Plus theres (only slighty) less bassists than guitarists so Id be more in demand band wise.
    Any hints or tips?
    Brands to avoid?
    Could I run it through my guitar amp? (Peavey 112 Revolution 80w combo)
    Thanks

James

Re: Getting a bass

bass is tasty

Comment

lol thanks troy
      I was thinking maybe a Warwick... I like Rickenbackers too... They good ideas?
      Ill be trading a Jackson (parts-o-caster) and Im hoping to have about £350 ($630) worth of bass. But bear in mind Im in the UK so go off RRPs, not what guitar centre is firing them out at.
      I cant decide between four and five string. I thought four, and if I was playing with downtuned guitarists I could simply use the bottom four strings off a five string set. Although bass strings are like £25 ($40) a set near me

Cheers

Jambo

Comment

You do know where the bass forum on the JCF is, right?......

Comment

I dont! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Ive come home from Uni for xmas - I havnt been on here since August!
          Sorry guys.
          Admins! Move my post, and I dont mean that in a sexual way.

James

Comment

I think you'd need a bass amp. You could play at a very low volume through the amp you have but it wouldn't sound that great. Even a comparably powered and sized bass amp would sound better because it'd probably have a sealed back, and a more powerful speaker. You could certainly not gig on bass with that amp.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Aha, Cheers Rich!

James

Comment

Mr White...I am a Bassist extrordanaire...the best of the best..a god-like prodigy...a virtuoso....I'm kidding but not really.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My favorite bass in the world are G & L 2000...they are tghe sh!T in my book...PERIOD..

I started playing bass in 1979 ...since then I have owned Alembic , Kubickis , Pedullas , Ken Smith , Rics , Warwicks , Stingrays , P and jazz basses galore and so many more...and I keep going right back to G & L..they make a "tribute" bass now ...that I'm going to buy..I'm not even considering anythinmg else.

and like Rich states you need a bass amp...you will damage your speaker in that Peavey...if you play at a semi- moderate level because that set up is not made to handle the low freqs that a bass puts out..

For a small bass combo or any bass amps for that matter my faves are Carvins...then Ampegs ..then SWR and some Peavey stuff is decent...and that's it....everything else blew up.

and please always be careful with impediance ..Carvins are indestructable if you properly use them...I knew someone who blew one up and believe me that was total human error.

when I had my Carvin stacks...I tried to make them fart..or blow up...not kidding...they can handle a lot of punishment at very high volume levels..even more than my old SVT / 8 10" set ups..

Good luck and have fun...John and I are thinking of puting a cover band together just to make some coin and have some fun..so I'm contemplating another Carvin stack as well.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cheers for the advice Bill
                  Thinking about having to buy a bass amp is adding £££ to the cost... I mean places where I might be playing gigs would have bass amps off other bands that I could use and practice studios might also have bass amps but I dunno if Id have enough money to buy a decent bass, and a bass amp...
                  Kinda putting me off now...

James

Comment

Jamesy, if you're just buying a bass to fool around on, forget RRPs. Buy secondhand. You'll get more bang for your buck. That'll leave you more for an amp too.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

You should get this one. It'll help you pick up chicks. I mean just look at the chicks it helped that Kip Winger **** pick up:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Ive had chicks like that in the past and want to forget about that phase of my life [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Working...
                        X