Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifts for the S.O?

Christmas is coming up...duh.

I'm probably going to buy my girlfriend a pearl necklace...in the 200 dollar range.

considering the budget i'm working with, it's quite a gouge in my wallet. i'm getting some gift money from people (since I graduated this last weekend)

Anybody think I'm totally crazy? or is it a good idea. I haven't ever seen her wear pearls. most girls like pearls right?

no bill..not THAT kind of pearl necklace [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Gifts for the S.O?

They can also be used as love beads. Pearls are tricky to pick out. I think pourous Pearls are better than polished for some reason, can't remember. Don't forget the matching earrings!!!!
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Before you jump and buy pearls....does she wear much jewelry?? Has she mentioned that she would like a string of pearls before?? Pearls dont go with everything like a pair of diamond studs or a really good chain....before ya go and buy pearls, take her to the mall and don some "window shopping" at the jewelry store....she what she oooohs and aaaahhhs over the most...then decide...

Mrs LPC

Comment

Hey Drip.... Pearls are a great idea... Look around and you can find some pretty decent deals on them, too.
        ....and yes, most girls like them. I am sure Em or Jb will be around shortly to disprove my theory, though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL Brad..here I am..I prefer a new guitar or seeing as we are talking jewlery, can I have a 2" metal studded wristband, or maybe a cool spiked boot strap....the list goes on and on [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Giving her a pearl necklace ehh? Coool... Some like em, some don't... Just my experience. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just watch your aim...

Comment

Uh, yeah. The only pearls I like are pearly inlays on fretboards and headstocks! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not every girl likes jewelry. Most do... I thiiiiink. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              I'm really a bad one to ask here since I rarely wear jewerly ever. I won't even wear a wedding ring.
              Diamonds and Pearls? Hell no. Won't catch me in those. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think you've been given some good advice already. If your girl is the jewelry wearing type, go out with her and casually windowshop before making a decision.
              But if you've seen her wear pearl earrings, or a necklace with a pearl in it, then she probably would like a whole strand.
              Keep in mind that pearls are only appropriate to wear when dressed up (dresses and suits) or with sweaters like cashmere or very nice blouses (like silk). So if she's the dressy type she will be able to use them.
              If she's a jeans and concert t-shirt type (unless she's very eclectic) she may not have occaison to wear them much.

Goodluck! You're quite a guy! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

When you shop, be sure to haggle!!! Jewelry has a huge markup & the sales people usually have a lot of leeway to bargain with customers. A few years ago I was shopping for my girlfriend's (my wife now) birthday & I saw this awesome bracelet. I had no clue how to haggle & had never haggled for anything in my life, but I completely stumbled into a deal. I asked the saleslady how much for the bracelet. She said $650. I said I only had about $275 to spend & figured she'd point me to something else. She said to wait a sec, & she went in back & got the manager & he gave me the bracelet for $275. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Total luck on my part, but it shows what kind of markup they have.

Comment

ok....here i go....Pearls are not an everyday wearable jewelry for women in most cases. Pearls are normally reserved for fancy get togethers, job interviews, meeting the parents, and that type of junk. If she likes that stuff, then it is a very nice gift. If you want to get her something more for "everyday" wearing, go witht he diamonds or gemstones, or simple 14K gold. In the 200 dollar range you can find very nice earings, pendant necklaces, gold bracelets, etc. THe easiest thing to do is to stop by the jewelry store wit her and tell her you are looking for something for XXX person (mom, grandma, sister, etc.) GIrls will normally look at everything and say things like "Oooh, that's cute" or "that's nice, but I can't wear stuff like that." Then you just play along and be like "while we are here, why don't you just try it on, or have the saleslady take it out..."

THis is much more effective if done more than 10 days before Christmas....

In a pinch, go to the mall, grab a sales flyer from every store, go to her best friend or sister or mom and be like "I wan tot get (insert name here) something nice for CHristmas...what do you think she would like?"

ALso, just go to the jewelry store, and be like "I'm a dumb man, and want to buy my girl jewelry. She is XX years old, works at such and such a place, her birthday is in (insert month). Preferably ask a salesperson who seems to be about your girl's age (or the hottest one you can find). Normally they will steer you in the right direction. Check a few stores, and then compare prices. FInd what you want to get her, and then check it out. In a suave way, mention that the other store has a similar piece for such and such a price. THey will work to keep your business. And finally, always pay the extra 10 or 20 dollars to get the warranty.

If anyone ever teases me about knowing this much....I will cry.

Good luck.

Comment

BTW, I just got my girlfriend a three diamond pendant for 200 and change....can't really go wrong with diamonds. It isnot a gaudy piece, and doesn't have huge stones in it, but it is nice and she will probably cry when she gets it.

And no, I am not actually a nice person. Gotit?!

Comment

I agree w/ etaeniura & Mrs. LPC about the pearl thing. Plenty of options in your price range though.

Comment

I will just go to the jewelry store tomorrow. i'd take her with me...but we won't see eachother for another 3 weeks or so. She wears jewelry and met my parents this past weekend.

i'm back in montana until after New Years and she's going to LA the end of this month and the beginning of January for the IAJE convention. (Internation Association for JAzz Education)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I'm a dumb man,

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you being redundant? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Mrs. Axe's birthday is Christmas Day, so every year this time I'm looking for jewelry to get her for her birthday. (For 10 years, I've bought her jewelry for her birthday.)

I can't add much to the good advice you've already been given about pearls, but I will say that in my experience, you just can't go wrong with earrings. In your price range, there are lots of options: 'just' gold, or with diamonds, emeralds, or rubies... I've done them all for under $300 (there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive) and she wears earrings EVERY SINGLE DAY. Work days, weekends, whatever - she wears earrings.

Your S.O. mileage may, of course, vary.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keith
                            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Giving her a pearl necklace ehh? Coool... Some like em, some don't... Just my experience. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just watch your aim...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Probably should get her a towel to go with it too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X