Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping a 1x12 combo amp to Canada from USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a 1x12 combo amp to Canada from USA?

Hello all, I may be considering buying jgcable's Mesa Studio .22 1x12 combo amp and neither of us want to be hosed with extra fees/customs/taxes or any of that other crap when he's shipping from the USA to me in Canada. What shipping method do you recommend we go with that will be safe and will dodge border-related fees, and be cheap and reliable at the same time? It's just that I've never bought an amplifier online or outside my city before, only a few guitars and basses from USA and Canada previously.

Thanks for your time everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Shipping a 1x12 combo amp to Canada from USA?

USPS is the cheapest I think but the combo will be so much heavy not sure you can ship such a heavy stuff by USPS.
    if not, UPS as usual.

Comment

I heard the Studio .22 is a comparatively light amp. How much does it weigh exactly?

Toru, I've received stuff from the USA via UPS before, and they've always made me pay them a fee when they come to my door. I want to try and avoid that. With FedEx, an invoice is mailed demanding payment for brokering/customs/homeland defense fee. The one time I was lucky was receiving my Taylor K14 and I didn't have to pay anything else because the seller lived right here in my province, one day "domestic" shipping.

I swore to myself that I would stay true to buying CANADIAN from now on to avoid fees like that, but sometimes you just cannot say no to stuff originating from the USA... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hell, do a road trip and do some beers and a transaction at the border. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Adrian
        All hail the 'King'
        R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Well, that is something you have to deal with when you live outside of U.S.
          When you are buying stuff from outside of your country, you have to calcurate everything including the impirt tax,shipping then think if the deal is still good for you or not.

Only one thing you can do to avoid the expensive fees, is to make it as gift and put the lowest value on the amp such as $100 but this could mean you are only adding $100 insurance on it in case something happens, you will get covered only $100.
          This way, you will probably get charged much less.

Comment

I don't think there is anyway around getting slammed with high shipping costs and duties fees.

Comment

In my experience shipping with FedEx Ground to American and other Canadian destinations with my big birthday/back-to-school guitar sale back in September/October, I declared the value of the guitars the exact amount that the JCF buyers paid me, and insurance was no more than four or five dollars extra. Most of the shipping cost was composed of the weight/size of the box and how far away the destination was.

Comment

You should contact your local UPS/Fedex and find out how they charge the import tax/broker fees when you are getting stuff from U.S.

That would be the best way to find out what will happen.

Comment

I will do it tomorrow morning.

Comment

I guess so.

But why doesn't USPS always charge fees? I've received multiple packages from the USA from American Ebay sellers shipping with US Postal Service but only my Morley Bad Horsie II wah pedal was opened for inspection and the post office charged me $24 for that.

Comment

I think it depends.
                      Many countries have rules on import tax and for example, in Mexico, when you try to import Chinese made products, they would charge a lot of tax like 100%.
                      but when it comes to U.S. products, only 10%.

It probably has to do with where the products were made and also what way(including UPS/Fedex/USPS) they were shipped to you.
                      Also how much insurance they put.

In my experience, USPS packages, you don't pay tax but with UPS or Fedex, you probably have to.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You should contact your local UPS/Fedex and find out how they charge the import tax/broker fees when you are getting stuff from U.S.

That would be the best way to find out what will happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually for NOTP.

You need to contact UPS and the post office in your town.
                        Ask all your questions that you don't know about why and how they charge fees.

Comment

Could it also be that larger packages shipped with USPS are more likely to be inspected/brokered and hit with fees? Because small things like letters and small boxes of mine haven't been hit, and the Morley wah pedal I got came in a medium-sized box.

Maybe they think you're exporting elephants in a huge box and need to check it out? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sure, the little envelopes can carry anthrax or other biological weapons, but they inspect only the big elephant-sized carton and charge fees for that... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

When I moved home from California I shipped a Carvin X-60B head ahead of me by UPS. Later, when I was broke,I Ebayed it and shipped it APO to PEru by USPS. It weighed about 50 lbs packed, so I imagine the .22 wouldn't weigh more than that.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Sorry... what's "APO" stand for? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X