HDTV receiver recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV receiver recommendations?

Ok, so I'm planning to get my parents a new TV for Christmas, and I'm going with an HDTV setup (WalMart), but need advice/opinions on the receivers. What's a good one and what are the prices?
    WalMart doesn't carry the receivers (or they're always out - never seen them on the shelf but they've got some hooked to the display sets [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] )

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: HDTV receiver recommendations?

Are you buying an Off Air HD tuner or Satellite HD box?
    If you are doing Off Air, then I'd say either the V,inc Bravo box or the Samsung. If you go Satellite, well then it would depend on what company they ave satellite with...

Comment

Cable, not shat-a-lite [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Is it better to get a set without a tuner built in?

I'd guess it is considering there seems to be a diff between sat and cable tuners ehh?

So basically, you're buying a HDTV compatible set?

Comment

How far are you from the primary network towers in your area?

I would get a TV with a built in HD tuner and get a nice antenna. I've got one, but I live too far from the city to get good reception with it. So if you need one, elt me know.

Anyway to switch to satellite? I've got DirectTV and all HiDef boxes, it's da bomb!!! If so, I prolly have an extra HD receiver here somewhere.

Pat

Comment

Newc, satellite is sooooo much better than cable! All channels digital, and usually less expensive!

I'd get one with the HD tuner built in coz you get more than just the tuner, like firewire (IEEE1394) usually, and or, HDMI or DVI inputs....

Hey Pat, we got antennas that might work for you. Depending on where it is you live... Let me know if your interested...

Comment

I've got one that works about 80% of the time I guess, more on the Plasma. I've got one of the antennas that come with Voom, I had it ( for a day ) and the local OTA was killer...

I'd like to try another one. I've got 3 HD antennas here, lol. ( Only one in use )

Pat

Comment

Use all 3 and you'd probably get all the stations! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

We used 2 on Mike Shannon's house, one at each end of the roof... (sportscaster and former Cardinal) not the Jackson Guru... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't do house-mount or tower-type antennas, I have cable, which currently offers digital service (hence my high-speed internet).
                  The one I got (WalMart, of course - not a lot to choose from around here) is a USDigital brand. I'll probably regret buying it, though, as there were 4 on the shelf, and this was the only one still in the shrinkwrap - the others were probably defective/crappy returns. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I'd rather not get a TV with the built-in decoder because that one's $1700+ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and the TVs I'm deciding between are $1000 and $1200.

We've had satellite twice - first was the old-fashioned mega-dish in the backyard and we watched the Gulf War in 1990 on it. We got the Uplink uncut and uninterrupted feeds that were sent to the networks and affiliates, and we got football with no commercials, and no commentary [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  We also got practically nothing else [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  The second time we went with Direct TV and the signal crapped out if it clouded up, and completely went out in the rain (which really sucks when you're depending on the local news channel to tell you if a tornado warning has been issued). Not to mention it was a PITA to watch a movie or show and miss every other minute of it because of the stutter and pixelating.

Cable rocks. It's a wire running from my house to a pole and from there to another pole and from there to another pole all the way down the line right back to the cable company that makes enough to afford a GOOD satellite setup [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ok, so now I'm looking yet again at this bizarre warning on the side of the box that says:
                  "Requires VHF/UHF Antenna. For best reception usa an attic or roof top mounted antenna. An existing antenna, if needed, is sold separately"

So this means I DO need one of those old-fashioned POS aluminum lightning rods on my roof? This can't be. It's the 21st Century, and someone still makes something that REQUIRES an old I Love Lucy antenna!?
                  It's got a coaxial jack on the back, but doesn't have the typical "screw them two wires right here" connectors commonly found on VHF/UHF "turn just a little more to the right" antennas.
                  So do I also need a coat hanger and tin foil? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Screw that - I may just get the $1700 set, as long as I don't need a damn ugly ass POS on my roof.

Newc

Comment

Working...
                  X