RacerX gets plastered at the Nixon Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RacerX gets plastered at the Nixon Library

So my dad invites me to a special members-only soiree in Yorba Linda, CA tonight, the grand opening of the Christmas-decorated East Room replica at the Richard Nixon Library. They also have the miniature White House
    http://www.nixonlibrary.org/christma...html#TopOfPage

Free refreshments and....WINE were promised. Since I wan't driving, I figured to have as much fun as possible among the old money crowd I expected to encounter. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My dad was slightly freaked out as we drove there (he drove); he was worried they were gonna ask for ID (the invite was in his friend's name. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Dad: "Now remember, you are Ron Embree, and I am Norm Embree"
    Me: [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] "They're not gonna card us, Dad!"

So, of course, we walk right in, and the nice old ladies direct us towards the East Room. We got there right at 6 PM, so it wasn't that crowded, and all the refreshment tables were fully stocked. I grabbed some cookies and what I thought was a cup of sparkling water, but turned out to be white wine; I was so thirsty I guzzled it right down! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: RacerX gets plastered at the Nixon Library

They had a nice old lady playing Christmas tunes on a baby grand piano, so my dad sat down with a plate and a glass of wine while I cruised around checking out the displays and portraits. It really was quite fantastic, if a little sparse, but the 3 chandeliers were very fancy. The refreshment tables contained an array of cookies and nice platters of crackers, cheese, and sliced meats. I proceeded to make myself some mini sandwiches with those last 3 ingredients. I also got some more sparkling water and, this time, a cup of Merlot.
    My dad had taken a seat near the entrance so he could "people-watch". I joined him and we played Let's ID the tunes without looking at the sheet music. I finished my sandwiches and got up to get another cup of Merlot, and some Pepsi for dad.
    Me: "Ish fer my DAD!"
    Server kids: "Sure it is! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] "

By now I was pretty well snockered, and some dude started making announcements, also mentioning that Ed Nixon was in attendance. The place was getting crowded now, SRO, so I had to stagger to my feet to scope out the happenings at the microphone. Sure enough, Ed Nixon, Richard's younger bro, was standing there, and then his own little announcement. Dude was a SPIITIN' IMAGE! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Even sounded like 'ol Dick! Of course I had been making funny jokes & comments to my dad, so now I loudly said "I wonder if he's available for parties?" Some people around us laughed and a couple turned around to look at me.
    Me: "Hey Dad, let's go meet ED NIXON!"
    Dad: "You meet him, I'm gonna stay here"
    Me: [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Get this, there was a RECEPTION LINE to meet Ed Nixon! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    So I wait my turn, but this lady bumps my foot with her stroller. There's a 2 year old girl in it. I turn around:
    Lady: "Oh. sorry"
    Me, smiling: "You BETTER BE! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Or I'll smash ya right inna face!
    2 year old girl: (tries to get out of stroller)
    [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Me: "Hey, your kid's making a break for it!"
    2 year old, can't escape, smiles up at me, whatta cutie!
    Me, leaning down: "Hi cutie pie! Doncha wanna meet Ed Nixon? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] "

Comment

I'm sure there's a good Ed ROMAN joke here somewhere...I'm just too tired to find it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like a nice time Ron..

I like hangin' with my dad too.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

So everybody else is shaking Ed's hand; I gave him a big 'ol bear hug! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Me, slurring: "Hi Ed, I really reshpected ya brotha, he was a real shtrident anti-communisht, man..."
          Ed Nixon: "Yes, he always was, and you will be also."
          Me: "Sho I heard you flew in from shomewhere, where are ya livin' nowadaysh?"
          EN: "Seattle!"
          Me, drunkenly going on about my cousin who lives up there and has her own practice, blah blah.
          Then, he touched my right arm, which was the signal to step away to let the next person in line...while I was just starting to step away, Ed said to me "Now you be careful on the road, there are some crazy drivers down here".
          http://www.nixonlibrary.org/construc...erCenter.shtml

Back at the piano, I grabbed another cup of Merlot, tried to get some coffee for Dad, and right when an older lady walked in front of me I shot out my left hand to adjust my hair...smacking the drink out of her hand and spilling it on her arm & wrist! I said sorry but she stood there for a moment trying to brush the drink off, then she started moving away. She totally ignored me. Immediately I ordered the servers to "Help her out, man!" and they snapped to! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Then dad and I decided to stroll over to the area where they had the miniature White House set up. It is very interesting and very detailed, down to actual TVs and individual books in the bookcases. A visibly excited docent was leading a group around the MWH...he had a little pointer and was giving a nicely detailed story to each room. He was practically dancing around and I was thinking, Man, somebody shot this guy out of a cannon! Near the end of the "tour" somebody in the well-behaved and nicely-dressed crowd asked the docent if he had a background or interest in the White House...he very excitedly
          Excited Docent: "...oh yes, if you came to my house you'd see all kinds of White House models and diagrams so when I heard the MWH was coming here...
          Me, leaning in to stage whisper: "...you CREAMED your JEANS?!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          E.D., laughing, also leaning in to whisper back "well, uh, I can't say that in front of all these people, but yes, you could say that"
          After a bit more exploring, it was 8 PM and a guy came through the museum "I'm sorry the museum is closing" so everybody was getting herded to the gift shop...where I spotted...Ed Nixon! Another gentleman was talking to him about his height, and when he saw me coming he asked how tall I was...so I told him, then did the old "back-to-back" measuring thing with Ed! Dude goes "Yep, you got about an inch in him". Then I noticed Ed had made a purchase...
          Me: "Hey Ed, whadya get?"
          EN: "Oh, just something for the grandkids..."
          Me, opening his bag and inspecting the book: "Cool, they're gonna love that....uh, hey, DID YOU GET A DISCOUNT ON IT?!"
          EN, being a great sport: "Well, no, I don't mind paying the full price"
          Me: "Aw, c'mon, man! (I turn and yell in a friendly and drunken manner at the cashier, whose name tag I read) HEY TOM! GIVE ED THE NIXON DISCOUNT!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] "ED, YOU SHOULD BE GETTIN' 50%!"
          Then my own purchase was finished, so we started to leave
          (I was holding a cup into which I had placed some packets of Equal)
          Me: "Bye Ed!"
          EN: "What are you drinking now, Ron?"
          Me, showing him the Equal stash: "Nothing, it's just some Equal I'm ripping off"
          EN: "Great, just don't cook with that stuff!"

With those encouraging words of advice, we left the building!

Just thought I'd share my fun, fun evening!

Comment

That is classic! Thanx for sharing.

Comment

hehe. sounds like a nice night out.

Wish I could still hang out with my dad. He moved down the other end of the country. Did spend a couple of hours on the phone to him tonight though
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Ron becomes a drunken, hoity, snob? Who would've thunk. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a business trip to London next month, and my dad is coming with me. I have been to London about 15 times, but he has never been, and he hasn't been overseas since the 50's. I am looking forward to it.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I hang out with my dad all the time. He rocks.

Comment

I miss my Dad. I live too far away! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                      He's a kickass drummer and is hilarious to hang out with.

Ron- that is quite the time you had with your Dad and the high society folks. I read your whole story, too funny! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Sounds like a truly great evening...Doing something with your dad... can be fun.
                        Why hunt ... when there is no machine gun season?

Comment

Where's the little Graemlin for a golf clap [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

bravo, brave...move along...

Comment

"HEY TOM! GIVE ED THE NIXON DISCOUNT!"

I nearly pissed myself over this, Ron. All very funny, and reminded my of how a very very dear (and now dead) friend of mine would have acted. Well, before he croaked I mean. Too funny.

Keith
                            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Ron - great writing, excellent story...Nice Job!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X