Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wilkinsi
    replied
    I always wash my hands before and after playing. The smell gets on my left hand's fingers (I'm right handed). I'd be tempted to just change the strings, but then it takes time to wear them in. I just discovered the issue is on both my Warrior Pro (ebony) and my Minion Bass (laurel?). And since no-one locally sells replacement strings for a minion bass, I've got fat chance of replacing them. Additionally, being in lockdown means no-one willing to do setups.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Also, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the the fretboard
    and strings when you are finished playing.

Leave a comment:

• CaptNasty
    replied
    First wash your hands before playing.

Whether lemon oil is safe or not depends on what it is.

Most “lemon oil” now days is merely expensive mineral oil with citrus scented enzymes added. It is not true lemon oil. This would be safe so long as it did not contain silicone or petroleum distillates.

True lemon oil is a different beast. You should NOT use real lemon oil as it contains Limonene, a powerful solvent. It will weaken the glue fastening your frets and fretboard to the guitar.

Be careful not to oil the fretboard too much. The fretboard will swell and pop frets if you oil too frequently

I use Music Nomad F-One oil. Unprocessed oils like linseed are not good because they polymerize. Plant based oils can also go rancid on the wood if applied incorrectly giving you another potential source of stink.
    Last edited by CaptNasty; 07-05-2020, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied
    I was going to ask the same thing - where did the smell come from?

Because... if it is a used guitar you just bought, you may not want to 'trap' it in to the wood.

Leave a comment:

• ed
    replied
    I use linseed oil and lately i have been using the music nomad F-one fretboard oil. The music nomad oil has a very good smell on it and that is why i like it. Linseed oil has its own smell too but its pretty neutral and you can get linseed oil cheaper than the name brand products.

Where does the garlic smell come from? I have never heard of garlic smell coming from your guitar.

Leave a comment:

• wilkinsi
    started a topic Garlic smell on guitar

Garlic smell on guitar

Can I use lemon oil on both ebony as well as rosewood/laurel fretboards to get rid/prevent this "garlic-like" smell? I normally use those all in one guitar polishes and Fast Fret. I already searched on google. What works best for you?
Working...
X